UKBouldering.com

Kids at climbing walls (Read 12156 times)

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
Kids at climbing walls
January 20, 2011, 01:01:25 pm
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=440734

Ive not had a look at their forums for a couple of months and this was the first thing I saw...

(I know, it's obvious that I don't have kids and I can't possibly understand etc. But if I did, I would never take them climbing).

On a more positive note, I would definitely visit a climbing wall if it banned kids  ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:52:07 pm by shark, Reason: Change of title after splitting topic »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=440734
(I know, it's obvious that I don't have kids and I can't possibly understand etc. But if I did, I would never take them climbing).

It always amazes me at the youth climbing comps that the majority of the kid's parents are non-climbers (muggles).

I find it odd that more climbers don't involve their kids in an activity that they get so much out of especially as its something you can all do together although at some point the little fuckers are going to start burning you off.   

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Won't most kids want to not emulate their parents, and want to try something new/different than they see going on around them every day since they were born?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Strangely it depends on the kids wether they decide to or not. Amazingly they have the ability to make decisions themselves. From an annoyingly young age.

nik at work

• forum hero
Not wanting to side-track this on a whole kids/no-kids debate but I really like seeing parents with their kids at walls (or out at the crag) having picnics, messing around, climbing and just generally having a boss time. I've always thought this was great, not just since I've had a nipper, and I can't really understand why anyone wouldn't like it?
I can appreciate that kids can be loud and even annoying. But so can boulderers/sport climbers/bumblies/adults/any member of the human race?

Of course if said kid is miserably following the parents round asking to go home then that's bad (unless it's my son, in which case it's character building).

Surely parents being willing to spend time and engage with their kids is a good thing?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Couldn't agree more. :kiss2:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Strangely it depends on the kids wether they decide to or not. Amazingly they have the ability to make decisions themselves. From an annoyingly young age.

I'll take your word for it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Demon Wall Roof/Pebble Wall Baby Club is always nice to see. All those little tiny nippers wrapped up like michelin men in their down baby grow things is enough to make anybody broody.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Not wanting to side-track this on a whole kids/no-kids debate but I really like seeing parents with their kids at walls (or out at the crag) having picnics, messing around, climbing and just generally having a boss time. I've always thought this was great, not just since I've had a nipper, and I can't really understand why anyone wouldn't like it?

Of course if said kid is miserably following the parents round asking to go home then that's bad (unless it's my son, in which case it's character building).

Surely parents being willing to spend time and engage with their kids is a good thing?

Very true. Kids also make nice soft landing zones... :o :whistle:

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.

:agree:

My teenage daughter, who started climbing at the Foundry when she was tiny, has decided whilst The Floundry and Percy's Palace are okay she'd rather go to Font. She has good good decision making skills. She even likes Sharks two boys, and Seb.

I genuinely like to see the youngsters at classes and climbing with their parents. I feel we have a duty to help and encourage children, and to spend time with them. It's good for us and them. If they want to use the wall by their choice, great. Even if they are irritating little  :furious:. But then so are some of the "adults".

On the point of muggle parents, I think, from my experience at the Foundry, that we could and should do more to explain to them what makes climbing so special. Many of the parents don't realise how it differs from say a badminton class. When you start to explain they are often astonished, perhaps an introduction run by the instructors would be helpful.

tomtom

• forum hero
Children & Families at the wall is a good thing... :thumbsup:

however...

I've been to a few walls (not the Depot, Works or Citibloc) where there have been pretty much unsupervised kids running around.. which is fine except when you are at risk of falling on them... I was at the Logport wall on sunday and there was a kids party screaming away around the corner and a couple of times I had to ask some kids to 'watch out' or move out of the way when they started messing about underneath me - when I was 1/2 way up a problem etc... Not blaming the staff - they're good, but a few kids seem to quite often 'escape' the kids party 'eating' area and find their way onto the bouldering mats... probably when they're suppposed to be under parental supervision....

I love the way the Works is designed, so you can have younger children in the 'pit' bit in the middle and they're engaged in whats going on around them - yet not in danger at all...

I'm not a parent (yet) so probably not in a great place to comment - just some thoughts...

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
 :agree:

Mostly I agree. You're a wall user so it is your place to comment. Thoughtless behaviour affects us all, and not looking after your children is thoughtless.

One always has a responsiblity to behave well. This includes supervising your children. It really annoys when a parent trots out the lame excuse of  "they're only children", yes, that's why you have to help them learn how to behave responsibly. And that's why they'll be the one in hospital if my 80kg lands on them because you've let them run riot.

So, at the risk of sounding like Sloper, I blame the parents. Shark and I have little problem with our energetic children, neither I would hope does anyone else.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
It's not making me avoid The Works at the moment but the car parking situation is a pain in the arse. It's not their fault but finding a decent place to park is quite limited at busy times...................
Car park wombles = complete cunts

Why not cycle there?

(Although they could do with more cycle racks/places to chain your bike up)

mole

• regular
Pure laziness to be honest. More bike racks/places to lock a bike up would certainly make it more appealing........although that wouldn't reduce my idleness!

rodma

• forum hero
Re: Kids at walls in general

Me and the mrs were at the EICA bloddering, where there are often tiny children running around and around on the mats between the freestanding boulders. mrs rodma was barndooring off the top of a problem, when one of the tots ran right under her, so I grabbed them and launched them out of the way, just in time to stop them from being squished.

About five minutes passed before a member of staff threatened to have me banned from the centre for traumatising the child (the mother of child had made a complaint to the staff member, who must have in turn told them that I was entirely at fault). I explained what had happened, but the member of staff still insisted that I was in the wrong and if I behaved like that again, I would be out. Frickin unbeeeleavables!!

No problem with kids at the wall in general, so long as the parents are aware of the risks (and the staff do their bit to make sure that they do) and take some responsibility for their own offspring.

SA Chris

• forum hero
So, at the risk of sounding like Sloper, I blame the parents. Shark and I have little problem with our energetic children, neither I would hope does anyone else.

Sadly I think the problem is prevalent amongst "muggle" parents who have little perception of how dangerous it is for kids to run about underneath you when you are sketching your way up something steep.

Sadly at our local wall the instructors often let kiddies loose on the bouldering wall as a "treat" at the end of their wall session. So the bouldering area is suddenly inundated with half a dozen or so kids jumping up and down on the mats and doing somersaults.

SA Chris

• forum hero
What rodma said, only in less words.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit

Sadly I think the problem is prevalent amongst "muggle" parents who have little perception of how dangerous it is for kids to run about underneath you when you are sketching your way up something steep.

Sadly at our local wall the instructors often let kiddies loose on the bouldering wall as a "treat" at the end of their wall session. So the bouldering area is suddenly inundated with half a dozen or so kids jumping up and down on the mats and doing somersaults.

Hmmm...West View at Preston is a bit like that. I'm always afraid I'll flatten one of the little ankle biters if I pop off the wall in the cave.  :(

tomtom

• forum hero

Yes - a common practice. I usually retire for a cup of tea or find some dark roof to scowl under... Thankfully they usually pass quickly.. alternatively scream like Sharma in extremesis and they'll probably scarper..

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Re: Kids at walls in general

Me and the mrs were at the EICA bloddering, where there are often tiny children running around and around on the mats between the freestanding boulders. mrs rodma was barndooring off the top of a problem, when one of the tots ran right under her, so I grabbed them and launched them out of the way, just in time to stop them from being squished.
There is often a load of kids at hudds wall.
I landed on one a while back when I fell off the bouldering wall (the little shit was probably about 10) sadly though the fucker got up and walked of while I hurt my ankle and was is pain for a few days.

No problem with kids at a wall in general unless they run under me when I am climbing.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
A guy I used to climb indoors with sometimes fell from the top of the bouldering wall as a kid ran under him: he had to change his fall trajectory in mid air to avoid landing on the little darling, but broke his ankle as he landed in such an awkward way. The parent concerned literally grabbed the kid under his arm and made a hasty exit while attention was distracted by my mates injury. He'd been spotting his older kid.

Another time another mate fell onto a little girl from similarly high up: it was only my last-second push of the kid that saved her from injury but she still got a traumatically close encounter with his backside ???. Her Mum was in tears and seriously apologetic- she'd been watching her older son top-rope nearby.

Walls should have a one parent per young child rule I reckon: most of the accidents and close misses I've been witnessed have stemmed from people thinking they can spot two kids at once or that a non-climbing rugrat can be trusted not to get into danger while their attention's focussed on a climbing one.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I admit I got my knuckles rapped when one of the boys ran under Lucinda at the Works.  :oops:  Then again I got told off at the Foundry for waist belaying them and another time for answering my mobile whilst belaying them  :oops: again.

Clearly persisting with consistently bad or risky behaviour is not on but nobody is perfect and learning sometimes requires stuff pointing out and explaining to both parents and kids. Whilst I try to get the boys to behave well they are not grown up so 100% consistent good behaviour and practice is unlikely. I don't want to breathe down their necks because I want to climb too and also let them have a bit of personal responsibility and freedom.

A lot of intolerance is expressed on things like this online but in real situations people more often just seethe internally rather than have a conversation.   

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Kids at climbing walls
January 21, 2011, 01:58:27 pm
I'm sure most bouldering walls have information/signs about paying attention to those climbing around you and not walking underneath people who are climbing?

These kids need to learn how to read.  I still blame the parents!  :P

Then again I got told off at the Foundry for waist belaying them

Signs in the Foundry (which I happened to read again just the other day) clearly state that a belay device must be used and that "traditional"/waist belays are not permitted.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#23 Re: Kids at climbing walls
January 21, 2011, 02:02:36 pm

Then again I got told off at the Foundry for waist belaying them

Signs in the Foundry (which I happened to read again just the other day) clearly state that a belay device must be used and that "traditional"/waist belays are not permitted.

This was probably 5 years ago - I don't know if the sign was up then. The boys only weighed a couple of stone at that age. I probably could have safely belayed them going hand over hand. However, it was pointed out that it was setting a bad example which was a fair point I hadn't considered.   

Soap

• regular
#24 Re: Kids at climbing walls
January 21, 2011, 02:03:15 pm
I actually find West View one of the better places for kids because the instructors keep an eye on them and aren't afraid to give them a bollocking. Awesome Walls Liverpool however I have found horrendous and pisses me off every time I go there, with kids climbing under you when you are climbing, doing rolls underneath you etc. and their parents are always muggles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal