UKBouldering.com

British boys tearing it up in switzerland! (Read 12200 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 09, 2004, 07:29:51 pm
Check out 8a.nu, malc, andy earl, parry and macleod have all been blitzing chresciano, chironico!

squeek

• junky
#1 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 09, 2004, 08:31:48 pm
don't you mean Gareth Perry?   :D

That's one good trip they're all having so far! ... and still there for a while longer as well aren't they?

Greg C

• forum hero
#2 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 11:01:04 am
Not meaning to undermine the efforts of said dudes but does this not bolster the argument that grades are getting out of hand on the continent. I mean when was the last time anyone did similar feets on recognised hard problems in the UK? And I'm not talking about Peak B12's I'm talking about proper graded stuff.

Evey time Malc seems to go to Cresciano he seems to blow 8b's out the water so quickly.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#3 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 11:22:43 am
I spoke to Malc yesterday and he told me that Dreamtime would get 8b+ in the UK.

He also said rumours of it being chipped were bullshit: it hasn't changed at all since he first tried it a few years ago. There is one newly brushed hold at the start, but most people don't use it, and it doesn't make it any easier anyway.

dave

#4 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 11:24:22 am
good to hear its not been chipped.

squeek

• junky
#5 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 11:52:23 am
Might it also be the case that as well as the continent having easier grades overall, our grades are harder grades overall, and hence they're both wrong?   :D
Afterall the grading system for bouldering is from the continent anyway!  Although I suppose the difference between what people seem to achieve in a flying visit to cresicano, and a flying visit to Font seems to differ a lot.  Maybe I should pop down and try to get my first 7 tick    :wink:

Ah well, not to worry, least Dreamtime hasn't been chipped, that would have been a shame.

Doylo

• forum hero
#6 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 12:08:15 pm
I've been to Magic Wood and that was a couple of grades out. I expect Chrescianos pretty similar as its down the road. You won't find many overgraded places in France though, Ailfroide, Tralenta, Font ..all pretty stiff!

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#7 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 12:14:21 pm
From my experience I thought that most grades in Cresciano were OK. A lot of them have been downgraded in the new guide from the unofficial topo grades, which helps the situation.  There are quite a few soft touches still lying around though!

I've not been to Chironico, but the locals we met said it's about a grade out compared to cresciano. Magic wood is supposedly even softer!

Most importantly, cresciano is a really, really nice place - the problems are fantastic, and the weather is much more reliable than font.

Greg C

• forum hero
#8 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 12:22:57 pm
I have also been to Cresciano and thougt the grades were about right (in the new guide at least) I wonder if its more a case of the 8's where the problem emerges, being as it was about 85 degrees when I was there I didn't try any, so I wouldn't really be in a position to say. Or perhaps its a case of the harder problems are very basic and so you can either do the quickly or not at all.

I think by most accounts I've heard Magic Wood is a bit of an anomaly and shouldn't be used as a yard stick.

squeek

• junky
#9 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 12:36:05 pm
Most importantly, cresciano is a really, really nice place - the problems
are fantastic, and the weather is much more reliable than font.

Are there lots of easy things there as well?  I haven't seen the guide and probably won't have chance for a few weeks.  I haven't decided where I should go in Autumn this year yet.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#10 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 12:50:07 pm
I think there is always a tendency for harder grades to be inflated. there are less comparative reference points and less consensus. Also it seems that whilst people will accept that V5 for example can be quite a broad grade, when it comes to top end stuff they don't.

"Problem X feels harder than problem Y, therefore I'll give it a grade one notch up the scale."

When perhaps they are actually both within the same grade.

As for Cresciano - I thought the easy/mid grade stuff was bang on. Chironico seemed softer and Magic Wood was plain wierd.

I would concur with Stu: if you're getting pissed off with shitty weather in Font then go and check this place out. I thought it was a fantastic place.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#11 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 12:50:21 pm
There are easy problems there, but there isn't the real depth of easy problems there is in font. I reckon if you can haul your ass up 6b-ish there'll be loads to do for a week, below that there'll still be a lot to do, but you wont have much choice.

What cresciano does have in common with font is that the easier problems are sweet! Font 6's on grit are often a bit dull, but there are some awesome slabs and ramps and shit in cresciano. Heartily recommended.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#12 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 01:32:12 pm
Grades at Cresciano in the new book seem bob-on. Many problems are quite conditions dependant, so feel desperate when its warm, and steady when its baltic (possibly even more so than Grit).
Nice place though - was out last week with team UK and the boys were properly bearing down and dispatching a lot of hard problems.
The number of big grades being dispatched by the boys doesn't mean the problems are easy for the grade - it means that Malc, Andy, Gaz and Dave are all psyched and strong as fuck, and are doing the deed. Bear in mind these are some of the best UK boulderers and they are more than capable of flashing proper hard 8a's and harder if the conditions are good!
The reason they don't rampage across the UK like they are doing in Switzerland is because they have almost certainly done most of our hard problems at some point in the past.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#13 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 01:52:01 pm
I disagree Percy, there are plenty of examples of V12s and V13s in the UK that are either unrepeated or have had only a couple of ascents:

Cherry Falls
The Ace
Pool of Bethesda
Malc's Start
Diana low start
Isla de Encanta

All of these are easy access and well known.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#14 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 02:07:41 pm
Fair point, Si, but hasn't Malc done at least half of the problems you mention?
And anyway, Cresciano has a massive concentration of hard problems in one place, so you're more likely to find several hard problems that will suit your style. There aren't that many venues in the UK that have 20+ 8a and harder problems within 5 minutes walk of each other, of differing styles. If only there were......... :roll:

Pantontino

• forum hero
#15 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 02:37:33 pm
As far as I know, Malc has done The Ace and POB/Malc's Start.

I know we don't have the concentration of hard problems that you get at Cresciano, but it still amazes me how few ascents hard problems in the UK get.

Either people can't be arsed, or the grades are hard.

dave

#16 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 02:55:28 pm
maybe over here we don't have the swathes of wildly overhaning granite that they do in switerland and the US so our hard problems are much more specific/painful/conditiony.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#17 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 10, 2004, 05:01:28 pm
I mean when was the last time anyone did similar feets on recognised hard problems in the UK? And I'm not talking about Peak B12's I'm talking about proper graded stuff.

greg, cud u give me one example of an easy peak b12 so i can go n do it, cheers. :D

Doylo

• forum hero
#18 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 13, 2004, 01:04:31 am
I disagree Percy, there are plenty of examples of V12s and V13s in the UK that are either unrepeated or have had only a couple of ascents:

Cherry Falls
The Ace
Pool of Bethesda
Malc's Start
Diana low start
Isla de Encanta

Is diana low start considered V12 these days Simon? Is it because that hold on the Chauffeur came off or was it just sandbagged by Chris when he did it?

Pantontino

• forum hero
#19 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 13, 2004, 11:30:30 pm
I think cjd was just being modest when he first did it.

It's a sick crimp pull - it's what the man does best. Of course it's going to be nails.

Greg C

• forum hero
#20 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 16, 2004, 09:30:19 am
Heres a good example of a Peak B12/13
Brad Pitt V9?  :lol:

dave

#21 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 16, 2004, 09:34:35 am
that was given B13 though - we're on about B12s, its a totally different situation.

i suppose mushin is a soft B12 - about the only one i can think of.

:lol:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#22 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 16, 2004, 11:25:56 am
i c. we're takin the guidebook holier than thou versions.  :lol:
brad pitt has had only one repeat the b13 way. looks like this way is b13, wotever this may be. btw when it was first done back in the day, the holds were a lot worse. but since every man n his dog have bin on it the footholds have enlarged the handholds got better etc. the only other guy 2do it this way is 8 foot tall.  :D everybody knows that brad pitt is now 7c/+, v9/10.
everybody also knows that mushin is 7c+, v10. everybody says this is a soft touch but surprise, surprise not that many have done it. i will concede that RU thinks this is easy 4the grade. seems to suit the smaller guy to weight the toe hook. :wink:
new grit probs r only overgraded after they've seen lots of traffic!!! if we think that messers moon n myers can't grade hard probs then it's time to give up.

dave

#23 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 16, 2004, 11:34:16 am
Quote from: "a dense loner"
footholds have enlarged the handholds got better etc.

aye, on the handhold theres massive horizontal wirebrush grooves all along a 2" radius all round the hold. fucking dickheads. :flame:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 British boys tearing it up in switzerland!
February 16, 2004, 12:32:34 pm
everybody also knows that mushin is 7c+, v10. everybody says this is a soft touch but surprise, surprise not that many have done it. i will concede that RU thinks this is easy 4the grade. seems to suit the smaller guy to weight the toe hook

It may be easier to get the toe to stick if you are shorter, but I've done it without toe hooks at all, although admittedly this is harder.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:07:39 pm by Ru »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal