UKBouldering.com

Best way to mark circuits on a woodie? (Read 3399 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 12:55:05 pm
A mate has set three circuits on my home board marking the holds that are 'in' with diffrent coloured chalk using triangles for handholds and circles for footholds so it is now a confusing mass of hieroglyphics and numbers.

The chalk wont last long either so whats the best system for me to mark up the circuits for reference as well as clocking the right holds whilst climbing which is flexible to adapt when adding or subtracting holds to make it harder/easier? :

naming holds?,
using numbers?,
tags?,
sticky tape?
grid based letter/number system?
or something else...?   

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#1 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 01:15:27 pm
Number/ name all the holds, then right down the problems /circuits in a book.

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 01:16:42 pm
What he said.

Or memorise, exercise the body and the brain.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 01:43:00 pm
Take a photo of the wall, mark the holds in the photo with different coloured marker pens, draw lines joining up the holds, and then carry the photo with you when climbing. Will also help with route finding skills :)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 01:45:26 pm
Have I asked a stupid question ? Wouldn't be the first time.

Stubbs

#5 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 05:38:00 pm
A friend of mine has some circuits on his board (with named holds) that were too long to memorise so he recorded himself dictating the circuit, then climbs with an mp3 player on: "left hand orange 53" etc.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#6 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 05:52:09 pm
A friend of mine has some circuits on his board (with named holds) that were too long to memorise so he recorded himself dictating the circuit, then climbs with an mp3 player on: "left hand orange 53" etc.

He's training for Jumbo Love?

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 06:10:25 pm

Sounds like a great evening in. Hopefully he also has something else playing in the backround. The stranglers perhaps.

Numbers, grid or names. Pick your poison. C45 is all I have to say on the matter.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 07:40:57 pm
What you need is an interactive set of lasers/cameras mounted on a reconditioned CNC lathe. We touched on the subject a while back.

I've been working on it ever since.

Only three secret service agents have died during testing, so things are looking up  :thumbsup:

No, Mr Bond, I expect you to smear

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9 Re: Best way to mark circuits on a woodie?
October 04, 2010, 10:54:05 pm
I had a stroke of genius whilst locking the gate at work. I'm going to...wait for it....name the holds in three different colours to signify the three diffrent circuits. yEAH BABY.

It should suffice until Lagers' and Dr Evil's laser project is unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

I haven't made a final decision on the colours yet. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The chalk wont last long either so whats the best system for me to mark up the circuits for reference as well as clocking the right holds whilst climbing which is flexible to adapt when adding or subtracting holds to make it harder/easier? :

or something else...?

Blood. 

Doylo

• forum hero
We name holds in the mill then for circuits we use tape. You can even write left and right on the tape with a permanent marker. Obviously use different colours for different circuits.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
We name holds in the mill then for circuits we use tape. You can even write left and right on the tape with a permanent marker. Obviously use different colours for different circuits.

That sounds best  :great:

Doylo

• forum hero
Oh and our circuits use any footholds but you could use the same tape system for feet

nodder

• obsessive maniac

That sounds best 

Its shit, looks wank, hard to see covers the names on the holds and means that dunb bastards stand on my wooden pinch over and over again.  Wankers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal