UKBouldering.com

Peak Area meets - Next one: Weds 4th June 2014 (Read 82737 times)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
One particular point of interest to people on here, and I'm sure one that many won't have even considered before, is the impact of night bouldering with lamps. The concern being that it interupts the quiet nighttime period for wildlife, and also gives the land less recovery time between the bashing it gets during the day. Does anyone else think the night time bouldering is an issue? J  :)

I think this is way overstated. When you consider the noise made by some of the illegal camping groups and raves or even scout groups on night hikes (let alone traffic noise) it's trivial. It tends to be busy early evening in winter only in a few select venues. What is this recovery time they speak of .... does the land dream?, does it never rain in the UK?? Good ninjas don't have much impact.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:17:15 pm by shark »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
We know that our night bouldering does not significantly impact on the land/wildlife/global warming etc, but neither does leaving draws on routes - and look at the potential problems connected to that.

It is important to consider the perception of out antics by land owners, farmers, members of the non-climbing public etc. If they can be calmed by showing them a list of generally accepted guidelines for our nocturnal bumbling then everyone wins.

Some sort of internet forum used by boulderers would be a good place to pull a few ideas together...

...and that BMC thing might have some experience in distributing the results of such a discussion (if they haven't done so already)

"perception gaps" are interesting things
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:59:35 am by lagerstarfish »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Of course there are numerous mountain bikers and runners with headtorches out at night too especially in winter

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Reminder: this is tomorrow evening.

If anyone wants a lift I'll be heading out from Broomhill about 7pm

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
The next BMC Peak Area Meet (Gathering??) will be taking place on Wednesday 23rd November, at The Maynard Arms, Grindleford, starting at 7.30pm.

This is also the AGM where anyone who wishes to stand for any of the positions of power (chair, secretary, clubs rep, National Council rep) may do so. The AGM will be brief.

There will be the usual mix of news, views and discussion about all things outdoors, both in your area and nationally, including a specific section on the BMC?s Limestone guides and how you can get involved.
Everyone is welcome, and once the meeting is done, there will be free and tasty treats laid on by the team for all attendees, before the legendary Peak Area Christmas Super Prize Quiz.

This year, local climber, photographer and part time media personality Adam Long  :smartass: has set the quiz as penance for the UKB table clearing up last year with Adam getting a duvet jacket.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Some discussion about Limestone guides relating to the 23rd Nov. 2011 meeting here:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,18987.msg338208.html#msg338208

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Can I cheekily hijack this private quiz, to formally invite the following to tomorrow night's meeting? :-

kc
JC
Ru
Bonjoy

Anyone is welcome, of course, but given their penchant for the lime, sometimes even when the grit has been called, I think those four esteemed UKB-ers would each have something potentially useful to contribute to the Peak Limestone guide discussion.

And I can tell that you are all on-line, so you can't claim you didn't get my invite...  ;)

Hope to see you, and everyone else(!) at The Maynard tomorrow night.

Neil (Sometime Peak Area Chair)

mark20

• junky
Anyone driving out from Sheffield with a spare seat? Thanks
Mark

cofe

• forum hero
83 people there last night apparently. Great turnout.

I think everyone will agree it's great that Neil has agreed to stay on as chair for another year. He's done a cracking job.

grimer

• forum hero
Agreed, and thanks for the fine quiz too :-)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
I think everyone will agree it's great that Neil has agreed to stay on as chair for another year. He's done a cracking job.

Very true but I await Moff's reaction with interest ;-)

Jacqusie

• stalker
It's great that Lynn Offwidth has stayed on a Peak Area Secretary - this is much under estimated role and there is a lot of work that goes into the Sec's Job description these days.

Lynn is an infectious member of the Peak area team and you wouldn't have all your lovely prizes if it were not for her. Add on guidebook scribing and editing - we applaud Lynn's passionate approach to the Peak Area.

A personal thanks for all your hard work Lynny and all the travelling you and Steve have to endure!

It goes without saying NF is a belter of a chair and we love his work !  ;0)

Cheers

Si

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Moff

Dear All

Very sorry for the delay in this post but ...... a very big THANK YOU to both Adam Long and John Coefield for the Christmas quiz - it was hilarious, and won again by the guys from UKB! - so next years quiz will be led by Jon Fullwood. Also, thanks to all the guys/companies who kindly donated prizes;
Alpkit, BMC, 18 Bikes, CAN Geotechnical, Climbers Club, Cordee, Cotswold Outdoor, CragX, Heason Events, John Beatty, Nottingham Climbing Centre, Outside, Paul Diffley, Rab/Equip UK, Rockfax, The Climbing Works, The Edge, The Foundry and Vertebrate Publishing.

I've managed to put the notes from the last meeting on the BMC Communities website: http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=716

The next meeting will take place on the 8th February. Still sorting out the agenda, but booked for sure is Mike Hutton to give a slideshow. Bye for now. More detail to follow in the New Year............

Moff

#114 Open day at the DWMH - 14th January 2012
January 05, 2012, 08:51:18 pm
Happy New Year - one and all.

The Staffordshire Wildlife Trust is having an open day on the 14th January, 10am - 2pm at the DWMH. Everyone welcome to meet SWT staff and volunteers and hear of their plans for the management of the Roaches from 2013 and beyond.

Moff

Hi Guys

Well, I've sorted out the agenda (for Wednesday 8th Febuary - 7.30pm) and it can be found here:

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=2572

It should be a great meeting. The main agenda item will be a Q&A session, led by Neil, with Jon Stewart from the National Trust and Danny Udall from the Eastern Moors Partnership.

Topics to be covered include:
•   progress on the Eastern Moors Partnership
•   future proposals for joint working between the BMC and National Trust on Stanage North Lees
•   the Sheffield Moors Partnership Proposal
•   the Nature Improvement Area proposal covering the Dark Peak area from Longdendale to Eastern Moors.

After the usual butties Mike Hutton will provide the entertainment (he has promised me he won't forget anything!!).

They are going to open the bar for us in the meeting room, but unfortunately you'll still  have to go downstairs for the real ale - we'll see how it goes anyway.

Cheers, Moff

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Dear All,

Go to this link:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/article.aspx?id=5545

for the February 2012 edition of the BMC Peak Area newsletter - many thanks to Martin Wass for yet another excellent production. See you all on Wednesday (8th),

Cheers, Moff (couldn't be bothered to log out to log back in again)

Moff

The next BMC Peak Area Meeting is taking place this Wednesday (18th April), 7.30pm at The Maynard, Grindleford.

Please go to this link for the notes from the last meeeting, agenda and draft bolt/fixed gear policy: http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=2614

It's shaping up to be a great meeeting, after which Dave Turnbull is giving a slide show on his recent 1st ascent in Nepal with Mick Fowler.

The most recent newsletter can be found here: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/latest-online-news-from-the-peak-area

Hope to see you on Wednesday, Cheers, Lynn

north_country_boy

• junky
http://www.opengate.org/access-fund-blog/2012/04/permadraws-access-issue-or-not.html

Comparisons can be drawn with similar issues across the pond....

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=2641

Meeting to be held on Wednesday 30th May  2012 8.00pm at The Winking Man Pub, Buxton Road, Upper Hulme, Staffordshire. ST13 8UH (Near Ramshaw)

PLEASE NOTE THE START TIME OF 8.00PM, SO ARRIVE BY 7.45PM TO GET YOUR DRINKS IN!

1.   Apologies

2.   Actions from the last meeting

3.   Future plans for The Roaches - Helen Dale, Staffordshire Wildlife Trust

4.   Access updates – Henry Folkard and other access reps

5.   National Council Report and feedback from the BMC AGM

6.   Dodgy bolts at Smalldale Quarry

7.   Peak Area Newsletter – deadline for next edition = 29th August

8.   Any other business

9.   Date, time and venue of the next meeting:
•   Wednesday 14th September, 7.30pm
•   Venue to be confirmed, but somewhere in Glossop.

dave

Is it me or has this meeting come around a lot quicker than usual?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Is it me or has this meeting come around a lot quicker than usual?

It's one of life unfairnesses that as you get older time accelerates (towards the inevitable).

Have a nice day  ;D

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
It's earlier, because we have four-days off next week (not sure why though) and we thought folk might take advantage and bugger off somewhere climbing.

Anyway, apart from the above agenda (cheers Shark) Over the Moors will be on sale for at the very ‘special’ price of £20 – yes, I know, it’s an absolute bargain.

Also at the meeting will be Dan Middleton, Technical Officer for the BMC, with some sort of ‘gear strength testing machine’. He aims to break some karabiners, and I will bring along the slings that Dan Lane and I removed from Aldery Cliff. Please feel free to bring along your gear to be tested – if you dare!

That’s all for now. Look forward to seeing you on Wednesday. Don’t forget the later start of 8pm, unless you fancy doing a Zumba class which is in the room before us!

Moff (signed in as Offwidth)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If anyone wants a lift tomorrow evening from Sheffield I'll be leaving Broomhill with Obi-Wan at 7.15pm

mark s

• junky
It's earlier, because we have four-days off next week (not sure why though) and we thought folk might take advantage and bugger off somewhere climbing.

Anyway, apart from the above agenda (cheers Shark) Over the Moors will be on sale for at the very ‘special’ price of £20 – yes, I know, it’s an absolute bargain.

might come along and get a copy then,andi text me yesterday saying i have 3 pics in,of course i asked how many he had.i didnt reply with anything sarcastic at his 2 pics  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal