UKBouldering.com

Peak Area meets - Next one: Weds 4th June 2014 (Read 82750 times)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
A few points: There were 73 people I counted: some coming and going with a maximum in the room of 68 before the food and before John C and his wife and Bunny arrived.

The Limestone report would certainly have been much better presented by Grimer (or by me if the announcement he was a dad hadn't confused my beer excited brain) but would have contained little extra info. Thanks for those who spoke to me afterwards with offers of help... I'll pass them on.

Sloper was downstairs with another friend of mine, I shared a pint, he was 'in full flow' and maybe its best he didnt come.

205Chris

• forum hero
Re: The high turn out thing.

I'm not sure what the numbers are usually like at a peak area meet as it was the first one I went to. I meant to go to the one before Christmas but I had the wrong date in my diary like a complete muppet.

I think Shark publicising the details on UKB has helped. It was certainly a reminder to me to get the date right this time round. I managed to persuade another 7 people along who'd also never been to a peak meet before either. We were the group sat at the back in the opposite corner to the main UKB contingent.

I don't think that Mike Innerdale being there played a big part in my decision to go (alhough it was certainly interesting to hear what he had to say) and I certainly plan to attend more meetings in the future. Most of the feedback from my friends was similar with some even planning to get more involved in the volunteering aspect.

The Maynard seems like a good venue too (not that I've got anything else to compare it with though).

Nigel

• forum hero
The numbers last year were much fewer - approx 20. I think that Neil Foster taking the chair has energised things somewhat, and the publicity on here (bravo Shark) and UKC certainly helps. Last year I would guess the average age at about 45, comprised of the usual stalwarts. On Wednesday I think this average age probably fell somewhat, which is encouraging as at some point the younger generation (myself included) are going to have to pick up the baton on a lot of this stuff. Previously it wasn't obvious that this would happen, but after Wednesday it looks a lot more healthy.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
A few points: There were 73 people I counted: some coming and going with a maximum in the room of 68 before the food and before John C and his wife and Bunny arrived.

The Limestone report would certainly have been much better presented by Grimer (or by me if the announcement he was a dad hadn't confused my beer excited brain) but would have contained little extra info. Thanks for those who spoke to me afterwards with offers of help... I'll pass them on.

Sloper was downstairs with another friend of mine, I shared a pint, he was 'in full flow' and maybe its best he didnt come.
Didn't get chance to speak on Weds, but I'll help out where I can on the limestone guide. Put me down for writing Thor's Cave and Long Tor Quarry if I'm not already listed for them. Could probably make a decent stab at the Cheedale Cornice if no one else is mad keen.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Numbers have always fluctuated wildly dependent on location, time of year, and issues discussed. But this last meeting did seem to have a lot of new faces, which is great. Already had one offer of help with the access work too.

Good call on the guide BJ. I'll be keen to help but not sure if I have much expertise on any one crag (maybe Windy buttress). Think Jon Clark would be keen? Maybe we need a new thread...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yeah JC may well be keen to tackle a lot of the sporty Matlock stuff which he probably knows more about than anyone else.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
"The numbers last year were much fewer - approx 20"....... It varied and we had some bad luck with weather. On the annual Glossup meet Kevin Thaw's talk was one of my all-time favourites, sadly under-attended, yet 2 years before we couldnt fit in the room. Same for the Staffs

"I think that Neil Foster taking the chair has energised things somewhat" ... he's a great chair but see below...

", and the publicity on here (bravo Shark) and UKC certainly helps"..... I think that and the seriousness of the issues is the biggest reason for extra numbers. People talk a good game on UKC but this never translated to numbers at the meeting.

"Last year I would guess the average age at about 45,"  ...thats what commitees do to you... I'm 21

"comprised of the usual stalwarts." .......   a subset thereof, not all regulars turn up every time

"On Wednesday I think this average age probably fell somewhat, which is encouraging as at some point the younger generation (myself included) are going to have to pick up the baton on a lot of this stuff. Previously it wasn't obvious that this would happen, but after Wednesday it looks a lot more healthy"........ somewhat??? nearly 10 years... young climbers (much younger than you) are especially welcome, don't ever let old gits overwhelm you and always enjoy yourselves (I remember John C telling me after a great bouldering session how depressing it was to enter a meeting full of quiet folded arms). The meetings should be about a community of climbers who care about issues that affect climbing in the peak.

Moff

Just to confirm the next BMC Peak Area meeting will take place on Wednesday 13th April at The Maynard, Grindleford at 7.30pm. If anyone has any agenda items then please forward them to me here or through the BMC website.

Cheers, Lynn

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Moff, is that short for Mrs Offwidth? (That's not a suggestion for an agenda item BTW)

Moff

Minutes and notes from the Mike Innerdale Q&A session (that was held on the 2nd Feb) now available on the link below:

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=459

Dates for remaining meetings (2011) - all provisional of course:

Wednesday 13th April - The Maynard
Wednesday 8th June - Staffordshire, venue TBC
Wednesday 14th September - venue TBC
Wednesday 23rd November AGM - venue TBC

Moff

Next meeting a month away (13th April) so I'm beginning to put the agenda together. A few of us met up with the guys from the Eastern Moors Partnership so have some feedback to give to you all - very interesting times are ahead! One thing that came out of that meeting is people wanting more information on volunteering options.

Any other agenda items welcome, as always. Either here or to: lynn.robinson@bmcvolunteers.org.uk

Hope to see you next month, Moff

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
BMC - PEAK AREA MEETING

The Peak Area Meeting will take place on Wednesday 13th April 2011
7.30pm at The Maynard, Main Road, Grindleford.

AGENDA

If anything to be discussed on this agenda gives rise to a conflict of interest for anyone, please declare it at the start of the meeting.

1   Apologies
2   Actions from the last meeting
3   Access updates Access Reps
4   The Roaches - update Dave Bishop
5   Feedback from the Eastern Moors meeting Simon Jacques   
6   New access rep. volunteers Neil Foster
7   Newsletter Martin Wass
8   Update on how we communicate Neil Foster
9   The role of Area Youth Coordinator & Youth Climbing Series Peak Area rounds Jim Watkin
10   Guidebooks Niall Grimes
11   National Council Report and BMC AGM Rick Gibbon
12   Any other business
13   Date, time and venue of the next meeting: Wednesday June 8th

After a FREE supper of butties and chips some of the “Best of ShAFF” films will be shown (with thanks to Matt Heason)

Jacqusie

• stalker
The numbers last year were much fewer - approx 20. I think that Neil Foster taking the chair has energised things somewhat, and the publicity on here (bravo Shark) and UKC certainly helps. Last year I would guess the average age at about 45, comprised of the usual stalwarts. On Wednesday I think this average age probably fell somewhat, which is encouraging as at some point the younger generation (myself included) are going to have to pick up the baton on a lot of this stuff. Previously it wasn't obvious that this would happen, but after Wednesday it looks a lot more healthy.

We welcome all the help we can get on the access front and learning from the chaps that have the experience is key. The BMC Office could always do more however in encouraging this...

Si

Moff

BMC - PEAK AREA MEETING

Ta very much for this - it was on my 'list of things to do', but hadn't got round to it. I blame the good weather! Moff.

dave

BMC - PEAK AREA MEETING

AGENDA

If anything to be discussed on this agenda gives rise to a conflict of interest for anyone, please declare it at the start of the meeting.

1   Apologies
2   Actions from the last meeting
3   Access updates Access Reps
4   The Roaches - update Dave Bishop
5   Feedback from the Eastern Moors meeting Simon Jacques   
6   New access rep. volunteers Neil Foster
7   Newsletter Martin Wass
8   Update on how we communicate Neil Foster
9   The role of Area Youth Coordinator & Youth Climbing Series Peak Area rounds Jim Watkin
10   Guidebooks Niall Grimes
11   National Council Report and BMC AGM Rick Gibbon
12   Any other business
13   Date, time and venue of the next meeting: Wednesday June 8th

After a FREE supper of butties and chips some of the “Best of ShAFF” films will be shown (with thanks to Matt Heason)

Yo yo yo - reminder that this is tonight. Everyone should get the fuck on down etc.

Moff

Excellent meeting - I'll post a report once I've had a few hours sleep! Moff

dave

One particular point of interest to people on here, and I'm sure one that many won't have even considered before, is the impact of night bouldering with lamps. The concern being that it interupts the quiet nighttime period for wildlife, and also gives the land less recovery time between the bashing it gets during the day.

Also as the impact of illegal 4x4 and bike use comes under scrutiny its more likely that people out on the edges at night with big lamps might get hassled by the feds who may be out looking for dickheads in landrovers.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
One particular point of interest to people on here, and I'm sure one that many won't have even considered before, is the impact of night bouldering with lamps. The concern being that it interupts the quiet nighttime period for wildlife, and also gives the land less recovery time between the bashing it gets during the day.

Also as the impact of illegal 4x4 and bike use

That was new to me and I think compared to illegal camps leaving litter is a much lesser issue for people to worry about in the peak park... its worth a few folk having a chat with Henry. The most common venues seem to be close to main roads anyway.

On bikes went to Ox Stones the other day and the path was heavily churned in places by bike trails that don't seem to be as bad the other side... thats not boulderers is it??

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#93 Re: Peak Area meets
May 27, 2011, 10:37:34 am
http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=531

Next meeting: Wednesday 8th June, 8pm onwards at The Winking Man Pub, Buxton Road, Upper Hulme, ST13 8UH

This later start time allows for people to climb, boulder or walk before the meeting.

Before the meeting, tea and cakes will be served at the Don Whillans Hut. This is a chance for you to have a quick nose about and see what the hut is like and chat to the people involved in the management of the thing.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:12:23 pm by shark »

Moff

Go here.......

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Download.aspx?id=829

....to download the latest edition of the Peak Area newsletter. Also; notes from last meeting, agenda for Wednesday's (8th June) meeting and update on the Roaches are on the BMC Communities website:

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=531

Don't forget I'll be at the DWMH from 5pm on Wednesday so pop in for a brew. Cheers, Moff

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
PM me if anyone wants to car share from Sheffield.

Heading out from Broomhill about 7.15pm

205Chris

• forum hero
Unfortunately I couldn't make it down last night. Anything noteworthy at the meeting?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#97 Re: Peak Area meets
July 11, 2011, 11:28:51 am
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 14th September, 7.30pm at The Crown Inn, 142 Victoria Street, Glossop, SK13 8JH

After the business there will be free supper of pie and peas, vegetarian quiche and salad (oh, and the beer's pretty cheap too) and a slide show by Mike Hutton,“3-years in the Life of a Climbing Photographer”.

Please forward any apologies or agenda items to Simon Jacques at simon.jacques@btinternet.com

RopeBoy

• menacing presence

Having a young family (ages 3 & 6) I did a spot of night bouldering last winter. There was just 2 of us and kept quite a low profile and turned the lamp off between goes (although to be fair that was to save the battery). We were only there for a few hours at the most.

Having read your post I will continue a low profile and go to the pub earlier! :icon_beerchug:

Does anyone else think the night time bouldering is an issue? I guess if big groups turned up and there was a lot of shouting and bright lights that could be bad but one or two people quietly getting on with should be ok? :shrug:

:)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Suggestions for a responsible night climbing code of conduct?

and of course a prize for the best acronym/name for the guidelines

to kick off...

lights off during the walk in - head torches only - to reduce the impact on wildlife

try to make sure that the light is falling on the rock and not shining off into the distance

consider turning lights off/down in between climbing

ensure that gas/fuel burning lights are either hung from a secure stand or firmly placed on non-flamable bits of countryside (rocks being a good example of this)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal