UKBouldering.com

Have your say on UKC. (Read 36287 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Have your say on UKC.
May 26, 2010, 02:26:12 pm
http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/survey.html

Includes a comments box down the bottom to input your views and maybe contribute to improving the site. The bit about gear brands is skippable!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 26, 2010, 08:33:23 pm
I did and they banned me.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 26, 2010, 08:51:03 pm
I can't be arsed providing feedback on a site I rarely use because of its self centred nature.  What's the point of wasting my time?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#3 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 26, 2010, 10:21:40 pm
Might become less self-centered if you provide a convincing viewpoint in the comments bit. A lot of people on here complain about UKC, with good reason, this is a chance to send in feedback.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 26, 2010, 10:54:16 pm
Last time I did anything of the sort my post was deleted and I got abuse from MR via e-mail.

The only problem with it is the name:  UKClimbing.  If they called it UKFellwalking or UKOpinionatedFools then it'd be fine.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#5 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 09:42:41 am
Allegedly a UKFellwalkingTM, or similar, is in the offing.  Maybe all the peurile crap would migrate to that site leaving UKClimbing as a fantastic source of news, information and sensible debate?  You know what I'm thinking though don't you?  ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 09:43:11 am
Last time I did anything of the sort my post was deleted and I got abuse from MR via e-mail.

Likewise.

The last time I posted on there Ryan deliberately misquoted me (using my real name which I don't use on there) and tried to imply that I was saying something that I obviously wasn't.

When I defended myself by pointing this out (other people already had) and called him the Cristina Odone of climbing journalism (I didn't swear or anything) he deleted my post and banned me for about a week. I emailed him basically just laughing at him for being such a petulant child and got an xkcd cartoon as a reply. Total fucking wanker.

:wank:

So I'll not bother ta. Ryan can go fuck himself.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 09:46:53 am

Likewise.

Ummm yes. Except, this is a form to fill in that gets sent in anonymously to Alan or whomever. Not a forum post. That's why I mentioned it.

I think Mick is an odious, unpleasant and entirely untrustworthy character who is clearly detrimental to a potentially good site, and I wrote (somewhat politer) words to that effect. Incidentally I had blocked his email address years ago.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 09:51:00 am
It's not just him though, the site is stuffed full of cock ends.

Alan James always seemed like a nice bloke but I've no interest in telling him what he must already know (unless he's the only person on the planet who doesn't know that Mick is a cunt).

dave

#9 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 09:52:29 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 10:04:17 am
... got an xkcd cartoon as a reply.

Was it the "Duty Calls" one?  I clocked that he'd taken the image from XKCD and uploaded it to the UKC images database the other week and then linked to it in a forum discussion, completely failing to cite the artist or source of the cartoon.  It's still there with a "Copyright" of "Duty Calls" which is the name of the cartoon, not the artist and means that they've completely failed to adhere to the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license that Robert Munroe (author of XKCD) applies to his work.  They've failed to attribute the work and possibly the Non-Commercial aspect given that UKC is a commercial entity.

For a body who so closely protect their brand image and copyright of images held in their database I thought that this was despicable and hypocritical of them.  I duly informed Robert Munroe of this violation as I felt duty bound to do (although I've received no reply from Robert Munroe and its clearly not been removed from their db).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 10:50:25 am
Is that an opinion survey? A lot of it seems more like market research.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#12 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 11:00:57 am

Was it the "Duty Calls" one? 

Yep. Oh Mick, you so funny.

Charles

• addict
#13 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 11:13:22 am
I've filled it out.

Very much market research but I took the opportunity to lambast them for their poor, tabloid style journalism and lack of in depth interviews.

Looks like they'll be rolling out some iPhone apps.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#14 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 11:29:45 am
I've emailed UKC before with constructive critisim about their logbook. The reply I got back made it quite clear that my comments weren't welcome and how dare I question them, cocks. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#15 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 11:36:17 am
I've filled it out.

Very much market research but I took the opportunity to lambast them for their poor, tabloid style journalism and lack of in depth interviews.

That's more what I meant. Yes it is market research but I just skipped the brands bit. I mentioned some aspects of the site I like and some I don't. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't, but possibly more productive than not saying anything. Not really a waste of 2 mins as I'll just go for a 28 minute shitathon / guidebook revision sesh tonight instead of the full half hour  :shrug:

Dave I appreciate the effort you've gone to in getting the same sized letters but in a good variety of styles, little things like that make life worthwhile  :beer2:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 11:46:51 am

Was it the "Duty Calls" one?  I clocked that he'd taken the image from XKCD and uploaded it to the UKC images database the other week and then linked to it in a forum discussion, completely failing to cite the artist or source of the cartoon.  It's still there with a "Copyright" of "Duty Calls" which is the name of the cartoon, not the artist and means that they've completely failed to adhere to the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license that Robert Munroe (author of XKCD) applies to his work.  They've failed to attribute the work and possibly the Non-Commercial aspect given that UKC is a commercial entity.

For a body who so closely protect their brand image and copyright of images held in their database I thought that this was despicable and hypocritical of them.  I duly informed Robert Munroe of this violation as I felt duty bound to do (although I've received no reply from Robert Munroe and its clearly not been removed from their db).

I bothered to contact UKC and let them know they'd failed to respect the CC Attribution Non-Commercial license.

Replied initially saying the copyright had been changed to the author (and it was), but thats not what is requested so I pointed out it should be linked to its original and it was then removed from their db.

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 11:54:43 am
it is what it is....

(what dave said)

clm

• forum hero
#18 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 05:03:03 pm
...an impenetrable miasma of dross.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#19 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 27, 2010, 05:08:50 pm
a faecal miasma, I think the whole point of the miasma is that it can be penetrated.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#20 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 28, 2010, 08:44:25 am
I'm sorry, what is this uKsea of which you speak?   :shrug:  :yawn:  :whistle:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#21 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 28, 2010, 10:08:19 am
Can you guys quit the whining about UKC and Mick Ryan. It causes Toby and I an inordinate amount of hassle and isnt very interesting.

Call me a cunt instead if you like. That would be preferable.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#22 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 28, 2010, 10:09:56 am
Oh. Sorry, ignore the PM I sent, I understand the reason now.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#23 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 28, 2010, 11:04:02 am
P.S. I was actually trying to encourage people to do something potentially useful in sorting UKC out, rather than just moaning about it on UKB all the time....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: Have your say on UKC.
May 28, 2010, 11:05:50 am
P.S. I was actually trying to encourage people to do something potentially useful in sorting UKC out, rather than just moaning about it on UKB all the time....

UKC don't need sorting out though, they can do whatever they want.  Some people post on UKC, some on here, some on both.  I'll bet that each person has their own reasons and has settled with whatever balance they're happy with.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:17:15 am by slack---line »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal