UKBouldering.com

im back climbing (Read 2466 times)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
im back climbing
May 17, 2010, 08:31:51 pm
hello everyone,i have started bouldering again after a four year lay off, the thing is im struggling to find the strength i once had.  i know its not going to come back over night but the main problem is im now two stone heavier.  its easy to say lose weight but thats not really possible as im not that fat its just i have bulked up a lot due to my job. has anyone got any tips?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: im back climbing
May 17, 2010, 09:22:02 pm
You can still lose weight even if you're not fat - if you consistently consume less calories than you burn, you're body will use up its stores, be it muscle or fat. Clearly it is easier to burn fat, but over time you'll morph into the correct shape!

Watch those tendons - your muscles will quickly become as strong as they once were, but the tendons take much longer and if you're heavier, you'll be putting greater stress on the joints and tendons.

I'd say get outside and climb on rock as much as possible - long days out are great for minimising calorie intake and maximising output!

Welcome back.  :thumbsup:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 Re: im back climbing
May 17, 2010, 11:28:33 pm
ure not going to have the strength u once had, ure 2 stone heavier

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: im back climbing
May 18, 2010, 09:58:36 am
im not that fat its just i have bulked up a lot due to my job.

Curious as to what you do? Prop Forward?

Otherwise see dense's comment.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#4 Re: im back climbing
May 18, 2010, 12:13:38 pm
It's easy to say lose weight, but it's even harder to do it, I know...believe me!
But if you want to up your power to weight ratio, you need to do it, in conjunction with increasing your strength in the right places, i'm no bouldering expert myself, but I am finding the more I progress, the more this is the case, and the harder each step becomes, so i'm currently attempting to drop some pounds and get a good stone/stone and a half of fat gone from my body.
Remember it's only impossible if you allow it to be!

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#5 Re: im back climbing
May 18, 2010, 12:20:21 pm
But if you want to up your power to weight ratio, you need to do it, in conjunction with increasing your strength in the right places,

I would have thought that losing weight was the easiest and most effective way of upping your power to weight ratio. It's certainly the safest approach as far as tendons are concerned.

As fultonius says, just make sure that calories in is less than calories out. Simples

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: im back climbing
May 18, 2010, 12:57:52 pm
But if you want to up your power to weight ratio, you need to do it, in conjunction with increasing your strength in the right places,

I would have thought that losing weight was the easiest and most effective way of upping your power to weight ratio. It's certainly the safest approach as far as tendons are concerned.

As fultonius says, just make sure that calories in is less than calories out. Simples

You always have to get stronger to really increase the ratio, otherwise you'd just be a super skinny, super ripped 6b sending machine

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#7 Re: im back climbing
May 19, 2010, 09:48:08 pm
thanks for all the replies. be bouldering in the peak at the weekend so hopefully try and roll back the years. think the days of climbing f7c again are a bit in the future, but i have done it before so ill do it again some day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal