UKBouldering.com

Compression Tops (Read 10867 times)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 09:27:20 am
Hi,
         anyone have any recommendations as to compression tops?  I.e. places to source/good brands/prices.  Can see some Nike Crew tops on amazon but not entirely sure if these are compression tops or not,
 :shrug:
it doesnt realy state this but there are some leggings which it does label as compression tops. 

Cheers
Tim

dave

#1 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 09:32:42 am

Dolly

• forum hero
#2 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 09:44:53 am
Have a look on http://www.newitts.com/
Good prices and reasonable selection.

Bought 2 Nike ones but haven't worn them in anger yet

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 09:54:46 am
it doesnt realy state this but there are some leggings which it does label as compression tops. 

:lol: I wonder how many try squeezing them over their head and arms.

dave

#4 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 09:57:30 am
If you're after compression trousers might be worth finding out where Banks gets his jeans from.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 10:35:28 am
http://www.accapi.co.uk/

(joke)

ahhh i see.. christ they're expensive there!

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 10:37:34 am

:spank:

lol. yep just to clarify meant that that are some leggings labelled as compression "leggings" but the only tops listed (nike) say crew and no mention of "compression". 

Cheers
Tim

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#7 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 11:29:01 am
Decathlon have some good sub £20 compression tops.
The best thermal compression top I've found is the Under Armour one, they tend to be pricey, but I picked mine up for £20 from JJB - just look for retailers in trouble.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 01:24:31 pm
The best thermal compression top I've found is the Under Armour one, they tend to be pricey, but I picked mine up for £20 from JJB - just look for retailers in trouble.

yes i thought under armor was supposed to be good but felt less confident after reading some of the reviews on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armour-Compression-Sports-Under-Baselayer/dp/B00214STBU/ref=pd_sim_ap_8

agreed only 3 against and 3 for but does sow the seed of doubt.

but sounds like your happy?  maybe they are inconsistent in their quality? half excellent and half shit :)

Cheers
Tim

Serpico

• forum hero
#9 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 01:29:55 pm
Sub Armour and Under Armour are not the same brands it appears.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 02:55:52 pm

You'd feel nearly as stupid as someone who'd paid £30 for one of these.......

http://www.accapi.co.uk/products/Photonizer/Photonizer-Bottle-Covers/Photonizer-Bike.html

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#11 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 04:32:54 pm
You've got to be fucking kidding!

"Thanks to its constant natural emission of infrared rays, it has a beneficial effect on the properties of water and water-based liquids."

Honestly, L. Ron Hubbard couldn't make this shit up.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 04:39:58 pm
You've got to be fucking kidding!

"Thanks to its constant natural emission of infrared rays, it has a beneficial effect on the properties of water and water-based liquids."

Honestly, L. Ron Hubbard couldn't make this shit up.

You missed it, there's a whole thread on this hocus pocus products.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#13 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 04:50:06 pm
I've read the thread but never wasted time actually reading the accapi website. I guess i didn't realise the level bollox they were spouting or how ridiculous it sounds when committed to print!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#14 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 08:41:38 pm
The level of shite isn't worrying, it's the fact that climbers (and otherwise upstanding bouldering walls!!) seem happy to support their shite in return for a bit of free gear/cut of the profits  :shag:

capitalist bullshite, wouldn't happen if the lib dems were in power

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Compression Tops
April 28, 2010, 08:57:48 pm
For what its worth I actually made a compaint to the ASA about this - and to their credit they followed it up - and a week or so ago I had the following in an email:

"Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in writing to you.

We have now received confirmation from the websites you referred to in your complaint that the material concerning Accapi clothing is editorial material rather than paid-for advertising.

I’m sorry to tell you that we can’t deal with your complaint because it relates to editorial material.  The ASA isn’t entitled to regulate that so I suggest you write to the Editor of the websites in question. 

I hope you find this useful and are able to pursue your complaint.

Our website, www.asa.org.uk, contains more information about the ASA and the work we do."

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#16 Re: Compression Tops
April 29, 2010, 03:31:30 pm
i've had a few thermal tops, the best ones being from FALKE and ICEBREAKER.
the first one is sinthetic and the second is pure merino wool. the first one is also more a compression top, very elastic and stretchy, with special features in key spots as elbows and lower back. the second is less "technical" but definitely warmer.

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Compression Tops
April 29, 2010, 05:02:30 pm
For what its worth I actually made a compaint to the ASA about this - and to their credit they followed it up - and a week or so ago I had the following in an email:

"Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in writing to you.

We have now received confirmation from the websites you referred to in your complaint that the material concerning Accapi clothing is editorial material rather than paid-for advertising.

I’m sorry to tell you that we can’t deal with your complaint because it relates to editorial material.  The ASA isn’t entitled to regulate that so I suggest you write to the Editor of the websites in question. 

I hope you find this useful and are able to pursue your complaint.

Our website, www.asa.org.uk, contains more information about the ASA and the work we do."

you might want to take a photo of whats up above the works Beastmaker... Unless of course that is editorial and not in any way an advert?

not to mention the packaging that it comes in, non?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Compression Tops
May 02, 2010, 06:16:19 pm
Saw that on Friday and nearly choked on my espresso.

jonjon

• addict
#19 Re: Compression Tops
May 02, 2010, 06:40:05 pm
Meanwhile back on topic, i've just started using Skins - after ironically being turned onto compression tops by Accapi.

Anyway so far my experience has been quite positive. Very good for recovery, and good for displacing lactic acid during running.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#20 Re: Compression Tops
May 03, 2010, 10:28:50 am
Pah. Bet "Skins" can't turn water into magic water.

tobym

• menacing presence
#21 Re: Compression Tops
June 14, 2010, 04:07:30 pm

Are long-sleeve tops likely to be as effective as separate sleeves, for forearm circulatory effects?

Serpico

• forum hero
#22 Re: Compression Tops
June 14, 2010, 04:20:42 pm

Are long-sleeve tops likely to be as effective as separate sleeves, for forearm circulatory effects?

Depends on how they fit you; a lot of compression tops on me are tight round the forearms but a bit loose round the biceps.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Compression Tops
June 14, 2010, 04:25:30 pm
Depends on how they fit you; a lot of compression tops on me are tight round the forearms but a bit loose round the biceps.

do you find they help you get pumped Serpico? or do you just wear them for recovery?

Serpico

• forum hero
#24 Re: Compression Tops
June 14, 2010, 04:44:14 pm
do you find they help you get pumped Serpico?

I don't usually need any help getting pumped - that bit happens pretty easily.
I wear them for recovery where I can feel a difference, but also whilst climbing on the off-chance that they may make a difference, also if I'm sore from a few days on compression seems to take away some of the soreness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal