UKBouldering.com

Aerobic Exercise (Read 8340 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 12:20:47 pm
I've never been particularly fit. Most exercise that I do is what goes on down at the Depot/Wall and walk ins etc. I also haven't ridden my bike in a while since Winter set in. I'd quite like to get some aerobic fitness back so was wondering how this would affect climbing.

If I primarily cycled (can't stand running) for perhaps an hour 2 or 3 times a week will I notice a change in my climbing stamina? For example, does increased ability to deal with lactic acid build up in the legs translate to the same benefits being seen in the arms or do you have to do specific stamina training for the arms/core whatever?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. To summarise: Will increasing my aerobic fitness by increased cycling have benefits in my climbing and if so what will they be?

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 12:33:14 pm

If I primarily cycled (can't stand running) for perhaps an hour 2 or 3 times a week will I notice a change in my climbing stamina? For example, does increased ability to deal with lactic acid build up in the legs translate to the same benefits being seen in the arms
of course it does thats why bradley wiggins is often seen pulling 9a on his rest days.

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 12:39:41 pm
Personally, I don't think so. It would probably be more beneficial to your (climbing) stamina if you ARCed for 30-45 mins or so. If you cycle quite hard you may well find that you're not recovering fully and feeling a little off form on your climbing days.

I tend to get my aerobic exercise from hill wilking/mountaineering but only because I enjoy it - I don't think it particularly benefits my climbing.

Stubbs

#3 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 12:56:05 pm
For example, does increased ability to deal with lactic acid build up in the legs translate to the same benefits being seen in the arms or do you have to do specific stamina training for the arms/core whatever?

Only in the same way that doing squats makes you better at pull ups  ::) one of the key words in training is specificity...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 01:06:41 pm
[Only in the same way that doing squats makes you better at pull ups  ::) one of the key words in training is specificity...

Counter-intuitively there is evidence that this sort of response does occur as intense training of larger muscle groups stimulates a bigger release of hormones into the blood which in turn stimulates  hypertrophy in all muscles.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 01:18:59 pm
Aerobicism (running for me) makes me recover heaps faster so I can climb or train more; that's about the only benefit I've ever noticed. Maybe I should save my knees and just buy an Accapi outfit...

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#6 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 01:26:53 pm
aerobic exercise can just as easily be gained by climbing circuits, it's a misconception that the best way to gain this is by running/cycling/swimming. In fact as this type of exercise is working the large muscle groups of the legs in the long run it'll make your muscle distribution lower in the body which won't help your climbing (which needs more upper body than lower body muscle distribution).
You might feel fitter but you won't climb better than if you put time into climbing circuits (with the added benefits of technique,stamina, capillary luminosity etc)
I tend to only do CV when I need to shift some weight, as I'd much rather be out climbing...

In short, if you want to get back cycling, that's good stuff, but it probably won't have a great impact on your climbing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 02:20:28 pm
I do aerobic exercise to burn fat, which helps me climb better, as if I didn't I'd be a fat wabber (like now, only I'm not climbing so it makes no difference).

I need to be going for longer than an hour to burn any significant fat and lose weight though - needs to be about 2-3 hours at least.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 08:47:45 pm
Only in the same way that doing squats makes you better at pull ups  ::) one of the key words in training is specificity...

So when you put it like that its a very stupid question indeed.

I was interested in Simon's response though. Do you suppose there would be a positive effect if you got warmed up, beasted yourself for a certain time (what this time would be I don't know) and then jumped on a fingerboard/campus session etc because the increased level of hormones encouraging hypertrophy would be combined with an upper body muscle power dedicated workout session?

Stubbs

#9 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 09:55:44 pm
Hmmm Simon used the phrase 'some evidence' and didn't produce a paper, which probably means he's lying ;) how about just beasting the climbing muscles instead dude?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Aerobic Exercise
February 09, 2010, 10:37:00 pm
What?! And risk getting pumped?

I guess its the Depot roof for me. Have you moved South yet?

the_loz

• Rock climbing courses
#11 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 04, 2010, 05:19:19 pm
It will keep your weight down but so will climbing more. The rate that your heart works is not the limiting factor when climbing longer routes. Its more to do with the amount of blood vessels in your arms. The only thing that will help this is climbing routes of 25 or more moves.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 04, 2010, 05:24:31 pm
So profound.

matthew

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 04, 2010, 06:31:59 pm
I find that when I'm aerobically fit my route climbing ability increases, but my actual power doesn't. If anything it drops off because I don't like doing pullups after long runs/bike sessions.

dod

#14 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 04, 2010, 11:48:46 pm
Don't forget the fact that being fit for the walk in is no bad thing. whilst at the tor its probably irrelavant, if you go to somewhere like ceuse (which has got a slight uphill to get to it  ;) ) not being totaly fucked before you even get your harness on can be quite an advantage. or is it blaphaemous to train with crags other than the tor in mind?

abarro81

• forum hero
#15 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 05, 2010, 09:06:23 am
Of course it's not.. stoney does have a rather long walk in to be fit for.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#16 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 05, 2010, 09:08:26 am
Beats me why people would spend a fortune on flights and then hike up a mountain when there is world class lime on the Orme  ;)

dod

#17 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 05, 2010, 10:33:24 am

spoken like a true cosmopolite!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#18 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 07, 2010, 08:05:04 pm
Well the specificity of local endurance means there is no direct benefit, hormones aside. The general aerobic benefit is to your heart and vascular system.. in other words is aerobic exercise likely to lower your maximum heart rate when busting a gut on a route, and is that likely to translate to improved stickability? My gut reaction is that if you are not especially fit, then yes- improved cardio=some small climbing benefit.
If you are already reasonably fit then I'd surmise no as the local endurance in your forearms is the main limiting factor.
Obvious benefits of cardio (if not too intense) of fat reduction and post-climbing recovery are not trivial, but still no substitute for power. Serps 'll be along with a reading list in a bit.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:11:10 pm by mrjonathanr »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#19 Re: Aerobic Exercise
March 07, 2010, 08:09:11 pm
Beats me why people would spend a fortune on flights and then hike up a mountain when there is world class lime on the Orme  ;)

The first time I visited the Orme we got as far as The Magical Ring, no further.
The second time, I slept in Parisella's for 4 nights, and still only got as far as Plumbline.
Is there anything round the corner?

gruffalo

• player
  • theres many ways to skin a cat....
#20 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 04, 2010, 06:38:15 pm
axle attack is a winner have you done that???

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#21 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 04, 2010, 07:11:46 pm
A year ago I started cycling 10miles each way to work and back on a daily basis. I don't think it's made me a better climber, but there are definitely some positive aspects.

As has already been mentioned, it can help with weight regulation. Not something I've ever really struggled with, but this winter I put on a stone (deliberatly) to help with strength gains, and this has been very easy to lose.

Secondly, I find I climb much better in the evening after a bike ride (I caught the bus a few times in the snow, and had terrible sessions those evenings). I need to get home and have a sit down for 20mins rather than go to the wall on the way home.

Lastly, being fitter makes you feel better. I think something like cycling, which is low impact, doesn't detract from recovery once you have a good base level of fitness. And as you get older, there are positive aspects of being aerobically fit.

The only thing I would add is that if aerobic exericse is a chore, you are unlikely to keep it up, so try and do something you enjoy or incorporate it into your daily routine. (On the subject of keeping it up, isn't aerobic exercise meant to be good for libido??)

webbo

• forum hero
#22 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 05, 2010, 08:06:50 am
yes but cycling is a well known cause of penile dysfunction.not speaking for experience mind.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 05, 2010, 01:00:47 pm
yes but cycling is a well known cause of penile dysfunction.not speaking for experience mind.

I think you have to spend a lot more time than me in the saddle for that to be an issue. In fact, I think it is the prolonged sitting that causes the problem, as you end up incubating your jewels, which they don't like. Keepng cool is the reason, after all, that they swing around in such a vulnerable position.

tobym

• menacing presence
#24 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 05, 2010, 01:12:59 pm
Would an aerobic workout, such as using a rowing machine (and I've seen pics of Members the British Bouldering Team on Concept 2 ergo's) improve capillary networks in the finger flexors, as well as providing a cardio/weight-loss/mainrenence workout? Obviously I realise ARCing is more specific.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal