UKBouldering.com

Aerobic Exercise (Read 8343 times)

webbo

• forum hero
#25 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 05, 2010, 08:17:03 pm
yes but cycling is a well known cause of penile dysfunction.not speaking for experience mind.

I think you have to spend a lot more time than me in the saddle for that to be an issue. In fact, I think it is the prolonged sitting that causes the problem, as you end up incubating your jewels, which they don't like. Keepng cool is the reason, after all, that they swing around in such a vulnerable position.
its more to do with the pressure but i was only attempting to be humerous any how. :whistle:

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#26 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 05, 2010, 08:46:49 pm
I found that doing a lot of cycling made me loads fitter so I could do a lot more in my climbing sessions, but likewise I gained some weight from developing some leg muscles (obviously I still have chicken legs, but they did get a bit bigger from cycling regularly). Personally, I think having an efficient cardio-vascular system is very useful for recovery after climbing efforts - particularly shifting lactic acid out of pumped arms. Many older climbers use exercise like regular biking or running sessions to lose weight very effectively, although in order to do this you need to be pretty strict with yourself and keep to a training schedule, otherwise its too much like hard work motivating yourself for more self-inflicted pain for many climbers!

For me the pros are increased endurance, quicker recovery, and the fact that a hard session of aerobic exercise makes me feel good. Cons are primarily that cycling tends to reduce my lower body flexibilty (unless I make myself stretch after a ride, and this is pretty unlikely to happen - too busy eating!), and I tend to get a few pounds heavier if I've been doing a lot.

I reckon for me the pro's outweigh the cons by quite a bit.

roddersm

• stalker
#27 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 07, 2010, 08:56:49 pm
I agree with Percy. Running definetly makes me feel fitter and also stronger as well as recover quicker on steep routes. The only negative is that initially it can be detrimental to climbing performance due to fatigue, however as you get fitter and learn to pace your self I find running is fairly easy to integrate into climbing training.

Its interesting that although the scientific evidence suggests that running is detrimental to strength and power activities theres a lot of top climbers who ran alot or were very good runners. Examples based on things I've read would be John Gaskins, Richard Simpson, Jerry Moffatt , Lynn Hill, Steph Davies, Stevie Haston, Neil Bentley, Pete Livesey and Tommy Caldwell. Most of these were/are real power houses too not just super fit. Although some really strong climbers and training gurus like Dave macleod and malc smith don't advocate a lot of aerobic training this is good evidence that running is benificial climbing. Also some of the mega fit alpininsts like Alain Gerhson and JC Lafaille were top rock climbers.

I also think that running(or any aerobic training) is particularly benificial to those like myself who have sedentry jobs and train regularly in the climbing wall but don't get to the crag regularly enough. In an Ideal world I'd be at the crag 4 or 5 times a week and this would keep me fit enough I feel. But as this is not possible I think running 2 or 3 times a week is a big benefit as long as you don't over do it.

I'm not a top climber though so would be interested what some of the strong boys and girls on here think.

chris j

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 08, 2010, 02:55:18 am
Although some really strong climbers and training gurus like Dave macleod and malc smith don't advocate a lot of aerobic training this is good evidence that running is benificial climbing.

This has always struck me as strange from Dave especially given that both E11 and Echo Wall show him running to keep fit when not on his project...   :shrug:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#29 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 12, 2010, 12:49:31 pm
...theres a lot of top climbers who ran alot or were very good runners. Examples based on things I've read would be John Gaskins, Richard Simpson, Jerry Moffatt , Lynn Hill, Steph Davies, Stevie Haston, Neil Bentley, Pete Livesey and Tommy Caldwell.

You forgot to mention Arthur Dolphin  ::)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#30 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 12, 2010, 06:18:54 pm
Although some really strong climbers and training gurus like Dave macleod and malc smith don't advocate a lot of aerobic training this is good evidence that running is benificial climbing.

I doubt there are many climbing coaches more qualified than Guido Köstermayer (PhD in sport science, lots of original research on climbing, former coach for german national team, top level comp climber, and he also did 8c+ back when it was cutting edge). Köstermeyer recommends 60+ min cardio / week in his book and also on his webpage ( http://www.klettertraining.de/kondition/joggen.html ).    I do no cardio because it is boring and hard, but I'm pretty convinced I could climb a bit harder if I did.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Aerobic Exercise
April 13, 2010, 09:21:30 am
Get yourself a mountain bike if you find it boring. The only aerobic I can bring myself to do. Oh and the occasional lying about on a surfboard slapping the water forlornly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal