UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 243153 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#425 Re: gooDADvice
November 19, 2014, 01:49:30 pm
It's also quite clever that the lens can be folded over to face you, so you can take selfies while looking at the screen.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#426 Re: gooDADvice
November 19, 2014, 03:30:39 pm
Following on from Lagers tent suggestion, we've had the Decathlon pop up shelter for years and it gets used loads on beachs, crags etc. I'd probably recommend the one with zip door...
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-shelter-xl-0-green-id_8242946.html

We have the one without and the door would be useful sometimes. Great for changing/stowing kit on a beach on a showery day/getting out of the wind etc. Instant up and about 10 seconds to stow once you have the knack.

Pretty much kid proof, can stand being jumped on etc.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#427 Re: gooDADvice
November 19, 2014, 04:34:08 pm
have the one with the door and can confirm it's very handy.  Bought it a few years back for kids feed & nap times while in Font, doesn't get used for that anymore but great for the beach, as Obi says.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#428 Re: gooDADvice
November 19, 2014, 04:58:27 pm
for kids feed & nap times while in Font, doesn't get used for that anymore...
Now it's for Dad's feed and nap time  ;)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#429 Re: gooDADvice
November 19, 2014, 05:27:37 pm
I like to pitch it beneath my current problem where I shut the world out and sit cross legged going through the moves while listening to motivational tapes, there's enough room inside to make the hand moves on all but the reachiest problems. When ready I exit straight onto the mats, get on the problem and execute it straight away.  If that doesn't work nothing will and it gets booted around the forest for a few minutes.  Never managed to break it yet.

dave

#430 Re: gooDADvice
November 19, 2014, 05:49:40 pm

We have the same problem re Xmas / Birthday as Raf's is 17/12. Coupled with the fact that he's not really interested in most toys (or anything that doesn't involve cricket or a touch screen) it creates a headache at this time of year. We've tried buying him toys that he's shown an interest in at other kids houses but they generally just end up gathering dust before being passed on to lagers.

However, one toy that my Mum got him last year has been a massive hit and may well appeal to a 5 year old boy:

http://www.elc.co.uk/Vtech-Kidizoom-Twist-Plus/131855,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Learning+&+Educational-_-Shopping+Campaigns-_-VTech

Loads of features aside from being a camera, easy to use and seems pretty indestructible.

Aside from that I can't really help, this year I've bought him a subscription to Wisden.

What's the flash sync speed like on that?

Tommy

• junky
#431 Re: gooDADvice
January 16, 2015, 10:33:41 pm
For all those dads out there who wondered if you'd let Alex Honnold take your kid up a fixed rope in a rucksack.

"Just cinch him up".

About 4 mins in on the video and onwards. Comedy gold.

http://abc7news.com/travel/fellow-climber-attests-to-difficulty-of-el-capitan-climb/473993/

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#432 Re: gooDADvice
February 13, 2015, 08:14:24 pm
For all those dads out there who wondered if you'd let Alex Honnold take your kid up a fixed rope in a rucksack.

"Just cinch him up".

About 4 mins in on the video and onwards. Comedy gold.

http://abc7news.com/travel/fellow-climber-attests-to-difficulty-of-el-capitan-climb/473993/

(Late I know but)
Holy shit this is hillarious. I'm surprised he didn't say stuff him in the pig and haul him up after!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#433 Re: gooDADvice
March 29, 2015, 10:21:48 pm
This one's really on an advice tip, based on experience this weekend, and perhaps a bit of catharsis too.

The message is: make sure you know what to do if your child starts choking on something.

Basically Una was eating tea last night which included baked beans, one of her current favourites. She was eating away, with both of us watching her and she just suddenly stopped moving. No coughing, no choking, just stopped.

Her eyes went off into the distance and she started trembling. We thought we was having a fit or something and then twigged, triggering all hell breaking loose. Fiona grabbed her while I dialled 999.

Fiona had Una over her knee with her head on the ground and was smacking her on the back (which it turns out is the current advice/right thing to do), but it didn't seem to be working. At one point while on the phone to 999 I looked over and Fiona looked like she was attempting CPR. After what seemed like an eternity managed to dislodge the errant bean. That weak, pathetic cry was the sweetest sound ever as it meant she was alive.

A trip to Dewsbury A+E and lots of checking later, all seems OK but safe to say we've had a hell of a fright.

Fiona actually did a pediatric first aid course early on in Una's life but said in the panic she wasn't thinking straight. It's always been something I've always "meant to get round to" and felt totally helpless while it was all going on.

Needless to say we're watching her like a hawk now, and I've been cuddling her that little bit tighter today. It was just frightening how quickly things went from normal, her babbling away to us while eating tea to just...nothing. The look in her eyes won't leave me for a long time.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#434 Re: gooDADvice
March 29, 2015, 10:42:44 pm
Being a parent is the hardest thing going.

Helpless.

Lost.

Clueless.

All normal.

Also, the stone, cold, heavy weight in the chest; that grows each time you hit the "what the fuck do I do now" wall.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#435 Re: gooDADvice
March 29, 2015, 11:34:15 pm
This one's really on an advice tip, based on experience this weekend, and perhaps a bit of catharsis too.

The message is: make sure you know what to do if your child starts choking on something.

http://www.milliestrust.com/

These guys run courses, for a very sad reason.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#436 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 12:00:01 am

Your post is so moving, and full of love.

It seems the most important thing is something you don't need to worry about.

Well done.

Amazing  :)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#438 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 08:51:19 am
When my youngest was 12 months old, she picked up, ate and began to choke on a 20p piece. I picked her up by her foot, inverted her and slapped her back hard. The coin fell out and she was fine but I still to the this day don't know how I knew what to do! Glad it all worked out Tom and well worth raising here!  :thumbsup:

As an aside, said daughter also picked up and munched (at various stages of development) a woodlouse, an ibuprofen tablet and several worms. She's 17 know and appears to have got over this unsavoury habit...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#439 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 08:57:10 am
Scary stuff, glad she's OK!

We had a minor panic when our youngest first got croup. I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it actually sounds like. We were mid weaning and had given her fish for the first time that day, so first assumption was it was an allergic reaction! Cue 999 call etc. Worth looking up croup on youtube so you know what it sounds like and what to do.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#440 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 09:04:34 am
My son as a toddler had the charming habit of punishing his mother for her misdeeds by screaming so hard he completely emptied his lungs, started choking and couldn't inhale again.

Since I didn't know any better about special techniques for small children, I got quite good at gauging the force on the heimlich manoeuvre to get the ribcage moving again without breaking it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#441 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 10:32:43 am
Thanks chaps - looking into one of the Millies Trust courses now.

I think I'd always thought if she choked we'd get some kind of warning, she'd cough or whatever. The fact that it was the opposite - she just suddenly stopped like someone had pulled the plug out - that's one of the scariest things about it.

Also, I'd always assumed that if someone was choking, it's one smack on the back and out pops whatever's causing it. This was the opposite - it seemed like an age but it must have taken 60, probably 90 seconds - maybe even 2 minutes to get it out, and that was with Fiona hitting her on the back the whole time.

To think of all the times I had left her in the living room playing while I made a coffee, or left her in the high chair eating while I made my own breakfast...I'm sure we'll relax again but at the moment we're not letting her out of our sight.

As a note, one thing the doctor at A+E said is that unless you can see what's causing the blockage you shouldn't try and put your fingers in their mouth as you can end up forcing whatever's causing the choking further in.

rich d

• forum hero
#442 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 12:56:57 pm
good outcome, can only imagine how stressful that was.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#443 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 05:39:07 pm
Fuck me, 3T. If Una continues at this rate I expect you'll be dead of a heart attack by 45.
First the birth and now that fright? Let us not forget that 3T basically delivered his own child (I'm sure Fiona had some part in it as well) - which is probably the manliest "Don't worry, I got this" thing that anyone can do.

Well done, sir. You and your Fiona are clearly competent parents.

nik at work

• forum hero
#444 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 05:56:19 pm
Our youngest is a choker also and the reaction is indeed quite weird. As you say there's no coughing and throat clearing while pointing concernedly down your throat (a la "THE MOVIES") instead they do just go onto standby mode. Most odd. Anyway 'er indoors is bang up on this twatting the food out of children lark to the extent that when he first choked she was having a coffee with a friend and mid monologue (about bags or shoes I'd imagine) she picked him up by his ankles, slapped the blockage out and set the little maniac off running again without stopping speaking.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#445 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 07:04:22 pm
It's now mandatory for all nurseries to have a millies trust trained member of staff I believe.

I'm delighted all is ok.

I understand In some parts of Europe Basic Life Support is a core part of the school curriculum.

See lifesaver.org for all the algorithms, adult and child, and interactive education. It's rather good.

Frankly.... As I've said before.... If as a member of our society and you don't know BLS... Well, fuck you. I truly believe we owe each and every one of us BLS. Esp for the rare occasion out on the hill.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#446 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 07:16:47 pm
Sadly if we struggle to educate our children to the degree of basic literacy I think this would be a challenge too far.

PS I've been called on to give 'proper' first aid twice.  I have a death rate of 50% (cerebral haemorrhage so not a lot I could do) so if you see me looking down at you (in the literal rather than metaphorical sense) remember your odds aren't great.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#447 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 08:41:46 pm
I'll take them.

Check out that site, made to be understandable to the general public, wildly used to teach lay folk.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#448 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 08:45:53 pm
I suppose the first criteria is to step forward and get stuck in and at least I won't shy away from that.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#449 Re: gooDADvice
March 30, 2015, 09:06:40 pm
 :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal