UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 242029 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#825 Re: gooDADvice
November 24, 2021, 04:51:41 pm
I've been considering a vasectomy and had a phone consultation with the GP today. The only thing that made me balk was that there is an expected 3 week wait before you can do sport again after having it. Does anybody have any experience of this? Did you need to take this amount of time out from climbing?

Duma

• forum hero

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#827 Re: gooDADvice
November 24, 2021, 05:19:09 pm
Thread here Will:

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,27037.0.html

Thanks, I searched but Google didn't find it. I hope Mark S' youngest doesn't find that thread!

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#828 Re: gooDADvice
November 25, 2021, 10:21:00 am
I've been considering a vasectomy and had a phone consultation with the GP today. The only thing that made me balk was that there is an expected 3 week wait before you can do sport again after having it. Does anybody have any experience of this? Did you need to take this amount of time out from climbing?

I think 3 weeks is over egging it. I did a 15k swim-run race 1 wk after mine which was probably not a good idea as it did hurt even with strapping, but by the second week it was fine.
Although do your best not to get an infection otherwise it'll be 6 weeks.  :'(
Grim

Herbert

• regular
#829 Re: gooDADvice
November 25, 2021, 02:12:30 pm
I can't answer the question.... but I had it done yesterday (after several covid related delays) I'm interested to hear the 3 weeks threshold. The steer I had was along the lines of avoid anything too vigorous for a week and see how you go after that.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#830 Re: gooDADvice
December 29, 2021, 06:25:03 pm
Any top tips from the collective on how you’ve coped with lurgy this year?

Both my kids (4 year old and nearly 2 year old) have had a shitty cough and runny noses since October half term. Just as one gets over it, the other seems to share it back. Driven entirely by the season and the fact they go to separate pre school and a childminders where they interact with lots of other snotty kids.

This latest one though is proving troublesome to shift. My younger daughter is suffering with a barking cough that really troubles us all at night. The pattern for the past week has been her waking up about midnight and then being awake but awfully confused, slightly feverish and generally wailing for hours on end. It’s a fight to get Calpol or Nurofen into her, and I feel like we are having to use it way more than we’d normally do for a child her age.

I have also got a shitty cough, with some proper horrible mucus/Catarrh type stuff coming out my nose and mouth. I’m knackered from coughing truth be told, but I’ve done my tests and it’s not COVID.

Back to the nippers…. My boy is just about over it for now. The wee lass, we use snufflebabe stuff on her chest (and feet for some reason…..) and have a bowl of water and albas oil in her room to help clear airways etc. Come waking up time she is plastered in snot though, and all the nose wiping is leaving her sore and grumpy.

Is there anything else we can do perhaps? Looking forward to someone e having the golden ticket, yours, a tired and unfestive Mike.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#831 Re: gooDADvice
December 29, 2021, 07:37:48 pm
 We find putting a pillow under the mattress at the head end raises them up a touch and helps lots (under the mattress keeps the sleeping area flat and therefore safer but obviously do your own risk assessment).

A humid room is good for coughs too.

And we've found a multivitamin for both ours (2and 7 so same issues of different germs) has helped with prevention.

Good luck!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#832 Re: gooDADvice
December 29, 2021, 07:47:18 pm
No idea if this is safe/sensible advice but do kids need vit D supplementation? I'm feeling generally more upbeat and energetic this year on daily vit d tablets. N=1 and a million other things that could be.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#833 Re: gooDADvice
December 29, 2021, 09:58:31 pm
I suffered badly with endless colds and chest problems as a kid. A 'V' shaped reading pillow to allow me to sleep sitting up (half sitting) really helped.
I used the same thing with our kids when sleeping got difficult due to snot.
Other stuff like olbas oil helps too.

Ged

• junky
#834 Re: gooDADvice
December 29, 2021, 10:26:03 pm
Our girl always ends up with a horrible cough whenever she gets a cold, and ends up coughing herself to vom Town several times per night. Have found sticking a couple of hardback books under the pillow end of the bed helps (currently Steve Macs and Andy pollits, boosted by a couple of Conn Igguldens).

It's a bugger though. We seem to have the same thing every winter where we're all ill for a week, on repeat about once every 5 or 6 weeks. It's bloody boring, but I don't know if there is a solution other than home schooling, or waiting for improved immunity.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#835 Re: gooDADvice
December 29, 2021, 10:58:35 pm

A humid room is good for coughs too.

We've got a plug in humidifier / mister that seemed to travel from one kid's room to the other for most winters (daughter gets it worse - 2 1/2 years younger). We also had one of the plug in vapourisers that you put little mats into, but they seemed to stop making them.

Otherwise, fresh cool damp outdoor air apparently helps, especially if it's a croupy cough.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#836 Re: gooDADvice
December 30, 2021, 06:55:25 am
Some nice ideas, many thanks. Hadn't heard of the humidifier idea so will definitely look into that. And we did have one of those V pillows flying about, I'll see if I can locate it.

Marginally better night last night, but still majorly disrupted and in typical fashion, just as we got littlest to nearly drop off again after waking at 5am...... The boy wakes up and his mouth opens, subsequently ruining the previous hard work and meaning I'm sat downstairs with them both now. Roll on a snot and cough free life 🤧

Bradders

• forum hero
#837 Re: gooDADvice
January 02, 2022, 10:10:05 am
Related to the recent discussion about whey protein price inflation, in the last few days I've clocked that whey is one of the key ingredients of baby formula, so presumably the same shortages may have in impact there; obviously a bit more worrying than whether I can get a protein shake after training! Asda were completely out of stock of the brand we use when we went the other day. Thought I'd mention it as I know there are a few others on here around the same stage.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal