UKBouldering.com

Tomorow (Read 5455 times)

james

• obsessive maniac
Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 12:06:43 pm
Any one up for a trip out.  I just checked the weather and Ilkley, Sheffield and Matlock are all rain free  :? .  I am in need of a grit fix arter the apauling sesion yesterday which involved me geting soaked to the skin and not actualy completing a single problem  :cry: .
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 12:16:13 pm
Psyched to get out somewhere - got to be back about 5ish so might not be able to go far  :cry:  Fancied Yorkshire/Northumberland.

Decide in the morning I think....

dave

#2 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 12:23:24 pm
Unfortunatley I've got to look round some houses from 12-2:30, which effectively writes-off Satdy for me, unless i get out at crack o' dawn. Don't you hate it when real life interferes with climbing?

I'm still banking on it being dry on Sunday......... touch wood.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 12:47:50 pm
Touch yer own wood, pervert.

Yeah, I've got to be back early to see a man about a new door - very exciting. Although, if my copy of GTA VC has arrived, I probably won't care - yes yes, I know I'm sad.

dave

#4 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 12:58:16 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
if my copy of GTA VC has arrived, I probably won't care - yes yes, I know I'm sad.

Shame on you. :owned:

james

• obsessive maniac
#5 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 01:38:05 pm
Mike
Where abouts in northumberland were you thinking of goin to?
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 01:47:45 pm
Dunno - I was going to meet NortonSharley up there, but reckon I'll have to be back too early unless I can persuade t'other half that i don't need to be there. Back Bowden is always nice, but it'd be good to go to some places I've never been like Shaftoe or that one beginning with an R near Bowden which I can't remember the name of  :)

FatDoc - you out tomorrow?? I'll ring ya anyway.

dave

#7 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 02:25:33 pm
Shaftoe is a great crag - i had a great afternoon there once, but didn't end up going back cos Foot 'n Mouth kicked off.

Does anyone know if this project has been done yet?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 02:31:42 pm
That looks beefy (the problem, not you   :P ) you going straight for the top?

dave

#9 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 03:05:49 pm
Don't worry, thats Sean Miles, but I'm sure he would be flattered. :wink:

Apart from the hair-line and the Stingers, thats were the similarity ends....

This photo appeared in an OTE article about Shaftoe a few years back, saying it was a project. Me and a mate hung the starting holds way back when we were properly shit, then we did the fantastic B4 slap problem just to the left. Maybe I should look on the smartboysonline to see if its been done..... and as far as i know, yes the project is to go straight up for that boss. But beware that wall is about 50deg overhanging, and doesn't com down to the floor!

james

• obsessive maniac
#10 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 05:02:26 pm
That looks awesome.  What is the rock like?  Sharp, Crimpy, Slopers, Good Friction etc?  
  I quite fancy a go on "The Crack" - The thing that Ben does on Stick-It.  Is that at Back Bowden?
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 05:51:20 pm
It's at front Bowden I think...

james

• obsessive maniac
#12 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 09:16:37 pm
Hi Mike,
It says on the Slack Jaw site that it is @ Bowden doors but I dont realy know what that means :? .  Have you been up that way much?  It looks realy nice.
Give me a call in the morning.  I will be up around seven so don't wory about caling too early.
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 09:43:48 pm
There's Bowden Doors and Back Bowden Doors, similar to two grit edges, one behind each other, but a fair way apart (1-2 miles?).

Bowden is mostly walls/slabs and is quite exposed, whereas Back Bowden is more overhanging with lots of roofs and is tucked away next to a wood. Very different characters but both really good venues.

The rock is good quality sandstone, but apparantly is suffering a bit now at Bowden. Great stuff to climb on and lots of brilliant problems abound....I sound like a salesman  :)

See what's what in the morning - hope it's cold and dry and then see where everyone is up for - I'll give you a ring or ring me 'bout 10 ish...

james

• obsessive maniac
#14 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 09:54:08 pm
Cheers, talk to you in the morning.  How long is the drive?
Cheers

James

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 10:15:58 pm
Dunno if there's gonna be time for the County, but it's about two and half hours or so....

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#16 Tomorow
November 08, 2002, 10:58:14 pm
Get your arses up to Bowden Doors tomorrow, Saturday.  We'll be there from about 11am onwards so arrive early.  2.5 hours from Sheff and the biggest sun on the weather forecast for the whole country.  2-3 hours bouldering is sufficient to waste to wasters.  Be there or .... be somewhere else.  Would be good to see some southerners.

Nic

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal