UKBouldering.com

Churnet Newness + Info 2009. (Read 25968 times)

Dolph

• player
#25 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 22, 2009, 05:33:08 pm
Despite not finishing either, I can confirm the quality of Mick additions. Tape up your middle finger for Crash Damage, it need the protection  :o

Your right about the name we said it was Crash Damage not Crash Test as i put.
Lunar Direct hadn't been done and from your description I think you meant on the right of Moon Jumper.

Yeah, that's what he meant.   ::)   Going straight up to the big jug on Electrofly that you use to yard up to the finishing rail.

Thats right thanks for clearing that up.
Oh dear - really sorry Stuart and everyone else, I just killed breathe this afternoon :(
The starting crimp on the standup exploded into pieces as soon as I pulled on - nothing left to glue back on I'm afraid..
Think its still possible by lurching up from the low crimps - I could slap the sloper like this but it'll need some accuracy and a fair amount of tension to stick it; a nice move and with beasts like dolph roaming the woods it could be done..
Beautiful conditions at the mo..

This is a real ahame as i thought the sit down to this was very good. (You didn't have to use the sloper on the stand up which was a shame). Hopefully this can still be done!

BenF

• forum hero
#26 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 22, 2009, 05:45:38 pm
Lunar Direct hadn't been done and from your description I think you meant on the right of Moon Jumper.

Yeah, that's what he meant.   ::)   Going straight up to the big jug on Electrofly that you use to yard up to the finishing rail.

Thats right thanks for clearing that up

Anytime mate.  I'll never miss an opportunity to correct you.

measles23

• stalker
#27 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 22, 2009, 07:23:11 pm
Sorry again dolph - pretty sure it will go and felt like it could be quite a cool move; I presume the sitter should still be possible too.. I blame the mince pies! Will look at it properly after christmas..

Red road's been gritted (and pot holes recently filled :)) Access from oakamoor was fine tonight. Wrights was in mint condition - ice on the first prob on the left and on the block to the right but the main crag was superb - all the roof finishes in condition, low holds in condition and some of the best friction I've ever felt there. Didn't look at any of the other crags...

Cheers, Matt

rainbow

• menacing presence
#28 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 23, 2009, 02:22:03 am
Oh dear - really sorry Stuart and everyone else, I just killed breathe this afternoon :(
The starting crimp on the standup exploded into pieces as soon as I pulled on - nothing left to glue back on I'm afraid..
Think its still possible by lurching up from the low crimps - I could slap the sloper like this but it'll need some accuracy and a fair amount of tension to stick it; a nice move and with beasts like dolph roaming the woods it could be done..

No need to apologise mate, it was bound to happen at some point. Always fascinated me how something so thin could take so much weight. Like you say coming in from those low crimps is possible but timing and tension essential. Who knows losing that crimp may make it a better and harder prob ;)

BenF

• forum hero
#29 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 23, 2009, 09:04:16 am
Red road's been gritted (and pot holes recently filled :)) Access from oakamoor was fine tonight. Wrights was in mint condition - ice on the first prob on the left and on the block to the right but the main crag was superb - all the roof finishes in condition, low holds in condition and some of the best friction I've ever felt there. Didn't look at any of the other crags...

Thanks for that, however we've decided on the Orme instead of risking the drive down to the Churnet.

As for Breathe, I reckon both the stand and the sitter will still be possible for a talented gibbon (Mike?).  Although defo significantly harder.  Consider the breakage as creation of a project rather than destruction of a problem.

rainbow

• menacing presence
#30 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 24, 2009, 11:53:19 pm
Just found these, Warchild and Thumbs (the real way) Well done, to whoever it is :thumbsup: and hope you don't mind me linking it to here.  Now I feel as though I need to pull my finger out. As someone said to me the other week train a little more, climb a little less.  :whistle:

Mirf

• player
    • www.leopoldkroll.com
#31 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 25, 2009, 03:16:05 pm
I had an amazing day out with the Scousers yesterday at the Churnet. The new guide has some quite good new problems. Unfortunately a was scabbing a look at Ben's copy so details may be hazy. I will def be getting a copy!

Basically I especially liked the V8 sit start to Breathe? and the new additions to Gentlemans Rock particularly liked the massive Dyno (I can't remember the name) and the Fifty pence problem.

While we were at Gentlemans i worked on some lines with Andy F that weren't in the Guide. I managed to do Both and they were really good and worth pointing out for people to try if they like mono's and it kind of completes the buttress.

The first was a the line left of Moon Jumper. It goes up to two small pockets before setting up for and slapping a slopey sidepull hold on a mini arete. Then up to the break and finish as for Moon Jumper on the high slopey break thing up and left. Suggested name is Lunar Direct and its about 7c ish. This may have been climbed before as it had chalk on it, or i'm sorry if this is someones project!!!!?

The secound is more of a variation but its not as eliminate as it sounds. This is the line just left of High Speed Imp Act. You start as for High peed Imp Act to the big pocket but then cross over with the right to a good mono. (Instead of jumping up and right to another good pockect as for HSIA) From here a still lock using a pebble as an intermediate will land you a a good deep pocket just below good finishing holds. We called this Crash Test and reckoned about 7b+ ish as it's very basic. I broke a hold on this and there was no chalk on the lefthand holds so i'm pretty sure thats its new.

Cheers Andy for the names and i think you need to set the bar a bit higher in your bouldering!!

Great effort doing these, I'd had a few tries on Lunar Direct last year but jumping to the sloper and holding it felt really hard, I'm keen to get back for another try now though. Never really plucked the courage up to risk losing my fingers on the mono project left of HSI don't think I'll be rushing to try that one :)
well done again.

measles23

• stalker
#32 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 30, 2009, 11:14:38 pm

Obviously a slow news week so hope peeps don't mind me keeping this thread alive..

Thanks Rainbow that was very quick - I just put those videos up on youtube last week! Would have had no idea how to link them on UKB mind so thanks..

Did both probs back in the spring/summer so not news by any means - I'm not at all sure if that's the approved sequence for the upper half of Warchild; would be good if Dolph or anyone else in the know could comment? It's a great problem and quite approachable the way I did it..

Didn't know the simple simon extension was an established problem - its my favourite sequence in the churnet, probably because its so unusually skin friendly for the area! makes the last move on SS a bit of a heart-breaker mind..

Promising news for breathe - have done the start again now with a well timed lunge; not quite as bad as I thought it would be - no repeat yet as pinch and above was gopping.. Also done the moves in from sitting, starting with LH in mono, RH on good mid-height crimp - is this right or should you start lower??

Conditions seem pretty poor at the mo :(

Cheers, Matt

PS Isn't it about time this bit of mirf-cuddling in the dimmingsdale undergrowth was aired:

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#33 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 30, 2009, 11:42:24 pm
The thing you did just L of High Speed is not the variant Dolph did. From that jug you do a cross over leftwards with your right hand to a 1st joint mono, then up to a pocket quite a way left of the ledge you reached to with your left hand (via a small cluster of pebbles). 

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber

measles23

• stalker
#35 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 31, 2009, 12:02:03 am

Cheers Andy - that's actually someone else on HSIA, I just posted it for the comedy value fall!

Crash Damage looks nails but I like my finger attached to my hand - some of those gentleman's monos are deeply disturbing..

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#36 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 31, 2009, 12:11:55 am
Sorry, my mistake. The mono on CD is ok, if you tape up around your first joint to stop the 'crash damage'. As Dolph said earlier, basic power, not that technical, great move though  :great:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#37 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
December 31, 2009, 10:05:51 am
Basic pain threshold! Had one meek attempt and decided I still fancied climbing in 2010  :o

BenF

• forum hero
#38 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 04, 2010, 07:51:05 am
Promising news for breathe - have done the start again now with a well timed lunge; not quite as bad as I thought it would be - no repeat yet as pinch and above was gopping.. Also done the moves in from sitting, starting with LH in mono, RH on good mid-height crimp - is this right or should you start lower??

I did Breathe from sitting yesterday (after clearing snow and ice from the top), it was all bone dry and in perfect condition especially the wonderful sloper.  I too started with a lefthand mono, righthand lowest good crimp (and left foot on the obvious good central foothold, rightfoot flagged underneath the boulder).  Can't see any point in starting lower as these holds leave you sitting comfortably on the ground.  I hesitate to say that it's actually a better problem now that the crimp has broken.  Mainly because you're now forced to match on the sloper.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#39 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 04, 2010, 05:55:15 pm
Effort beast! What were the roads like?

measles23

• stalker
#40 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 04, 2010, 06:58:31 pm

Cool - well done Ben; brave going down this weekend  - we were snowed in just up the road in Whiston..

Think you must be a bit taller than me as those holds leave me straining to to touch the mat with my bum to claim a sitter! Can't think why Dolph's version missed out the sloper altogether - that gorgeous hold is the whole point of the problem..

Stand-up:

grimer

• forum hero
#41 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 04, 2010, 07:06:07 pm
I had an amazing day out with the Scousers yesterday at the Churnet. The new guide has some quite good new problems. Unfortunately a was scabbing a look at Ben's copy so details may be hazy. I will def be getting a copy!

Hi Dolph, just saw this, and if you've not got one yet I'll send you one for helping out with stuff.

One thing, saw Measles23's video of Thumbs. This is different than in the guide. Is that the proper way? I remember a lot of emails going back and fro about these problems here.

measles23

• stalker
#42 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 04, 2010, 07:28:40 pm

Hi Grimer, don't take my video as meaning anything; I didn't even know there was a problem called thumbs! I was just looking for a diversion from trying to figure out what the hell to do with that 2 finger pocket..

Cheers, Matt

rainbow

• menacing presence
#43 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 04, 2010, 07:51:46 pm
I did Breathe from sitting yesterday (after clearing snow and ice from the top), it was all bone dry and in perfect condition especially the wonderful sloper.  I too started with a lefthand mono, righthand lowest good crimp (and left foot on the obvious good central foothold, rightfoot flagged underneath the boulder).  Can't see any point in starting lower as these holds leave you sitting comfortably on the ground.  I hesitate to say that it's actually a better problem now that the crimp has broken.  Mainly because you're now forced to match on the sloper.

Well done that man. Yeah that's how I started it in its original state. Had a quick go last thing with head torch this afternoon. Found gaining the sloper a lot harder, well could hit it but couldn't hang it. I'm hoping it was due to being out all day :-\. Think I over graded it originally, probably 7a+ from sitting then. Now 7b maybe a little harder, difficult to tell that sloper is so condition dependant. Think I'll have another go on wed.

As for the roads, I came in from the alton side of Red Road. Quite slippey but if your careful none to bad. Wouldn't fancy it coming from Oakamoor though.

youngy

• player
#44 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 05, 2010, 08:33:12 am
Does anyone know if it will be accessible today? and what the weather was like there last nite?

AndiT

• forum abuser
#45 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 05, 2010, 10:26:09 am
Suppose it depends where you are willing to walk from. From my window in Leek, I'd guess there's 6" on the wall outside and the roads are pretty grim. Wouldn't waste my time personally.

youngy

• player
#46 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 05, 2010, 10:35:27 am
cheers andi
yer we didnt go in the end took me 25 mins to do a 5 min journey to crouches house haha
hope it goes soon an stays cold

BenF

• forum hero
#47 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 05, 2010, 12:05:06 pm
Think you must be a bit taller than me as those holds leave me straining to to touch the mat with my bum to claim a sitter!

I'm 175 cm's tall but have quite long arms which probably explains why I could reach comfortably.

Found gaining the sloper a lot harder, well could hit it but couldn't hang it. I'm hoping it was due to being out all day :-\. Think I over graded it originally, probably 7a+ from sitting then. Now 7b maybe a little harder, difficult to tell that sloper is so condition dependant.

Yeah, the cold definitely helped with the sloper since the crux for me was matching it in such a state of over extension from the low footholds used in the sitter without the upper crimp to help anymore.  Reckon it's probably around the 7b mark but the cold temps helped and I seem to be climbing well at the momemnt for once which may explain why it felt quite straight forward.  Anyway, a well good problem still.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#48 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 27, 2010, 07:15:57 pm
Was up on Wright's on Sunday. Dripping but dry enough.

Anyway, I don't know if this has been done before but Ryan Pasta Quills climbed the super thin line between Simple Simon and problem 3 (Ru's guide p.228, directly above the arrow head on the first diagram of arrow 1).

It was chalked but you never know! Anyway, he suggested about V10 and it looked a bit shouldery, a bit fingery and a bit difficult. A good addition.

JC

• addict
#49 Re: Churnet Newness + Info 2009.
January 27, 2010, 07:32:00 pm
Nice one,  i had looked at this a few weeks ago and wondered if it had been done.  Any name?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal