UKBouldering.com

Which is the healthiest takeaway? (Read 38577 times)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#25 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 14, 2009, 06:35:04 pm
Think it all comes down to what you take and where from, anything in this list with meat has significantly more calories than anything without. Vegetable curries are in my opinion much more tasty that meaty ones and problally 600 calories less a pop. Pizza likewise. As far as takeaways go a good clay oven baked chicken/lamb kebab has got to be the best option!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#26 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 14, 2009, 10:02:29 pm
kebab...
what is not healthy about lean grilled meats (obv avoid the donner), salad, yoghurt dressing, fresh chili tomato sauce, pita bread. and tastes, amazing.
oh, sorry, not all of you live near turkish delight in chorlton, manchester...

Elif, on Eccelsall Road, Sheff is a good un. (although i've not been for a long while)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#27 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 14, 2009, 10:24:43 pm
Chicken kebabs from the take away opposite the Broadie. Hmmm, lovely. And who gives a fuck about calories anyway. I don't  ;D

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#28 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 14, 2009, 10:30:07 pm
And who gives a fuck about calories anyway. I don't 

Its alright for some.
You and your tape worm.

GCW, you pedantic gayer.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:54:25 pm by robertostallioni »

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#29 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 14, 2009, 10:41:32 pm
[pedant alert]
Surely you mean tapeworm, punctuation kid.

[/pedant alert]

To be honest, if I get a take-away I want something I can't make and home, and balls to health stakes.  It's not like I have take-aways every day (well, not any more).

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#30 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 15, 2009, 09:11:14 am
Thank you very much Mr Stallioni - just what I needed to see when eating my breakfast, a picture of a worm coming out of someone's butt  :'(

:lol:

I actually had a curry last night, the deciding factor - not calories, fat or tapeworms but the fact that some dickhead had blocked in my car. As it was pissing it down, the indian was the closest hence the winner  ;D

Next week however, it will definitely be a chicken kebab...

For info, here are the energy values and grams of fat for each meal:

Curry - chicken tikka masala, pilau rice, plain naan 1,436 cals 60g
McDonalds - Big Mac meal, 960 cals 47g
KFC - Fillet Tower Burger meal 992 cals 44.7g
Fish & Chips - 1,385 cals 77g
Pizza - meat feast, medium pan 2,096 cals 84g
Chinese - sweet & sour chicken, egg fried rice, spring rolls - 1,436 cals 60g

Chicken Kebab with salad in pitta -  290 cals 6.8g

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 15, 2009, 05:41:33 pm

Those figures must vary wildly between establishments. Ok, the McD/KFC will be pretty consistent but the others could be way less/way more cals/fat depending on where you go, portion size, etc, etc

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#32 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 15, 2009, 06:28:54 pm
Agreed - those figures listed were gleaned from Google. I found 3 different articles from daily newspapers and one from Which that analysed takeaways in the UK (and gave averages).
The pizza stats are taken from Pizzahut, so I would say that it would also be fairly consistent around the country. Obviously other pizza companies would be different.

But yes, the curry/chinese and fish and chips figures are going to vary somewhat depending on where you go. It will at least give a rough idea though...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#34 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 15, 2009, 09:42:07 pm
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/1692100/This-woman-thought-she-ate-2300-calories-a-day-her-photo-diary-revealed-it-was-608.html
From the comments beneath it:

Not everyone is overweight because they eat too much.

Some people are eating well over 6,000 calories a day and they remain slim.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#35 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 10:21:16 am
Is Subway regarded as a take-away? The diet worked for that fat twat Gerard.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 10:33:32 am
Is Subway regarded as a take-away?

Depends if you eat-in or not :P

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#37 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 10:40:07 am
Oooh - not thought of Subway, good shout..

Although I don't think I would have one as an evening meal. I have this stupid mentality that a sandwich is only for lunch.

Are all of their hot subs really bad for you?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#38 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 10:47:39 am
Oooh - not thought of Subway, good shout..

Although I don't think I would have one as an evening meal. I have this stupid mentality that a sandwich is only for lunch.

Are all of their hot subs really bad for you?
If you have cheese on that'll up the calories but without they claim some 6inch subs are under 6grams of fat.

Also is a burger a sandwich?

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#39 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 10:59:43 am
If you have cheese on that'll up the calories but without they claim some 6inch subs are under 6grams of fat.
6 inches is never enough  ;D
Also is a burger a sandwich?
Bollocks - it bloody is too (had to google it)!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

Time to cure my mentality or I'm going to be fecked..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#40 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 11:14:59 am
I reckon Thai food / curries would be reasonably healthy - they tend to avoid heavy buttery sauces often used in Indian food, and seem to go for quickfried meat and lots of fresh vegetables that are cooked healthily.

tomtom

• forum hero
#41 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 11:20:13 am
Subway is low fat if you are very careful what you have in your sub (i.e. mainly veggies) but its real easy to ladle on the bad stuff if you order a steak and cheese sub with all the gubbins etc..

Personally there is something insipid about the smell of Subways... I walk into them and whatever they put in their bread when they cook it the smell puts me off...

Having said that I've eaten loads of them in the states due to lack of alternatives near where I was working....

WHilst we're on Subway - they do have some particularly aggressive franchise expansion methods:

From here:
"The 2001 book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser criticizes Subway's franchising policies. It claims that in the 1990s, Subway was involved in many legal disputes with franchisees, usually over encroachment (overly aggressive expansion, in which two restaurants are so close in location that they end up competing with one another).

The book blames the "Development Agents" who are given the task of growing the company regionally. They retain a percentage of the franchise fee for their local area, and so it is in their best interest to saturate markets with Subway restaurants in a region, despite the effect it will have on that region's Subway locations. Although this may lead to lower profits per Subway location, it leads to overall higher profits in the region, and therefore higher profits for the entire chain and the Development Agent.

Much of Subway's rapid growth can be attributed to its uncommon business model. Unlike most franchisors, the parent company does not operate any restaurants. Local franchisees operate the stores, and in most markets Subway enters into a contract with a franchisee to be its Development Agent for that market. The Development Agent is then responsible for developing new locations, evaluating stores on at least a monthly basis, and assisting franchisees with whatever needs they may have. DAI takes an 8% royalty on all net sales from each store."

Plattsy

• forum hero
#42 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 11:26:26 am
I reckon Thai food / curries would be reasonably healthy - they tend to avoid heavy buttery sauces often used in Indian food, and seem to go for quickfried meat and lots of fresh vegetables that are cooked healthily.

Agreed and usually very tasty although coconut milk is quite calorific/fatty.

The ultimate, as mentioned, is a grilled/baked chicken breast kebab with salad, yogurt/chilli. Large of course.

From Macs I'd suggest the filet o fish without cheese and tartare sauce. Get some ketchup and it's basically a fish finger butty. Plus if you request it without it'll be made fresh. Though I could probably finish off 5 of these without any bother.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#43 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 11:55:50 am
In Thai food, are there any dishes without chillies in them? My stomach does not get on well with them. I must admit that I have never had any Thai food in my life.. (well I don't think I have)

Also, what about Italian takeaway? not the pizzas but the pasta? Lasagne must be quite calorific with the cheese, but what about things like cannelloni?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#44 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 12:33:23 pm
Loads without chillis, so things for total wimps to eat :)

I've never heard of anyone getting any Italian food to take away other than pizza, but I guess you could, although never really regarded as takeaway food.

You can cook many pasta dishes in the same time it takes you to get them from take-away.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#45 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 01:31:43 pm
Loads without chillis, so things for total wimps to eat :)
:lol:

Come on then - recommend me a pansy dish...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#46 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 02:00:38 pm
Don't know, never look at them on the menu, and never eat them, so can't recommend any. Ask anyone with young daughters under age 10 what they would buy for them to eat :)

Any of the stir fried dishes won't be spicy and will be pretty healthy.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#47 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 02:09:35 pm
Don't know, never look at them on the menu, and never eat them, so can't recommend any. Ask anyone with young daughters under age 10 what they would buy for them to eat :)

That's no good. My 9 year old loves the really spicy stuff  :shrug:

Non spicy stuff  includes various basil dishes, pad thai (ask that they don't make it spicy just in case), satay dishes, some mild coconut milk dishes, fish cakes can be made non spicy, stuff like chicken with cashew.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#48 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 03:02:43 pm
wouldn't a chicken shish kebab with salad be about the healthiest option?

Yup - or lamb..

Saw a program about this c.10 years ago, and shish kebab was considered the best of the bunch. Its the sugar in the drinks, fat and salt in the fries and the re-constituted lips and arseholes in doner kebabs...

Theo's in Leeds (long since gone) used to do a great falafel kebab... for the non meat eaters...

Pizza cant be great. All that lard in the cheese. Not to mention the usual meddely of dead pig products piled on top.
Ahhh theos that took me right back to uni days.

tomtom

• forum hero
#49 Re: Which is the healthiest takeaway?
November 16, 2009, 04:15:52 pm
wouldn't a chicken shish kebab with salad be about the healthiest option?

Yup - or lamb..

Saw a program about this c.10 years ago, and shish kebab was considered the best of the bunch. Its the sugar in the drinks, fat and salt in the fries and the re-constituted lips and arseholes in doner kebabs...

Theo's in Leeds (long since gone) used to do a great falafel kebab... for the non meat eaters...

Pizza cant be great. All that lard in the cheese. Not to mention the usual meddely of dead pig products piled on top.
Ahhh theos that took me right back to uni days.

When were you there joe?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal