UKBouldering.com

bar training mystery (Read 2580 times)

route149

• addict
  • 'Let's see how Ben does it...'
bar training mystery
November 08, 2009, 04:47:41 pm
Okay so after doing no climbing or training all summer, I tried an opposite hand towel-assisted lock-off today and was surprised to see that it was exactly as easy as when I last tried it. I ended up holding my chin well above the bar and the lower arm almost extended.

It clearly isn't possible to maintain a level without training, so I put it down to trying harder or having accidentally done the right warm-up to recruit efficiently.

But I'm mystified. If I didn't really lose much over quite a long lay-off, I ought to be able to improve faster than I can when I'm training specifically for it.  Past attempts have always ended with such slow progress that I get dispirited.  I'm determined to bust out of this cycle of slow gains.  So, experts, from where I am, how can I go forward to greater lock prowess?  I can only train this in a park, so can't do the pulley thing to take weight off.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1 Re: bar training mystery
November 09, 2009, 07:58:46 pm
if malc can adapt his fingerboard to fit to weight machines on oilrigs you can carry a pulley system to the park

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: bar training mystery
November 09, 2009, 09:10:06 pm
I dunno, maybe climb or train during the Summer ?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: bar training mystery
November 09, 2009, 10:37:09 pm
you don't get stronger when you train, you get stronger when you rest afterwards.
perhaps your body needed a lay off to consolidate itself?
Perhaps you ate a banana and it gave you more solidity?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: bar training mystery
November 09, 2009, 10:49:18 pm
To be fair, if you're doing a dip on one arm (which is sounds like you are) you can take at least half your weight through that arm.  Hence, your lock off arm will be taking 50% bodyweight or so  ie the same as when you do a pull up.

Therefore, if you can do pull ups, you'll be able to do this exercise.  Try it with a pulley and weight and you'll get a better idea of progress.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#5 Re: bar training mystery
November 09, 2009, 11:05:12 pm
Perhaps you ate a banana and it gave you more solidity?
These lot don't know the first thing about solidarity. It's a banana in my pocket, honest.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: bar training mystery
November 09, 2009, 11:09:38 pm
Did you forget to take your pills again this morning?  I'm making that phone call, right NOW!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal