UKBouldering.com

Lethargy (Read 4629 times)

rodma

• forum hero
Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 01:06:08 pm
I know there was previous mention of random shitness when training but.....

Does anyone else just feel drained at the moment, maybe just the clocks changing and being plunged into the land of eternal darkness?

I haven't really even tried to train for almost a week now  :(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 01:49:52 pm
I always get it at this time of year too. Clocks change - don't see any light after work, etc. SAD etc. Often have a dull slight headache too, and often don't sleep very well.

I try and get outdoors at lunchtime and make the most of any sunshine there is.

Have heard of people taking vitamin (E?) supplements, using SAD lights or taking melatonin, but not sure if any actually work. I think the cure would be to fly somewhere sunny like the States for a few weeks :)

Do you indoor training junkies ever notice the difference between summer and winter anyway :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 01:57:41 pm
Yup - climbing motivation is at a real low at the moment. Having to force myself to go to wall just to try and stay in shape after a good summer...

rodma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 01:58:39 pm
Do you indoor training junkies ever notice the difference between summer and winter anyway :)

Not really right enough, but it does affect the journey to and from the wall  :)

There are no longer any rays of sunlight streaming onto my campus rungs  :'(

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#4 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 02:16:42 pm

Have heard of people taking vitamin (E?) supplements

The supplement is vitamin D :) take vit. E as well though to fix your skin up!

chillax

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 02:21:48 pm
I'm finding the opposite. Psych to train is on a high at the moment, but a low level cold/chest infection I've had for the last 2 weeks or so means that after doing any major physical activity I inevitably feel like shit.  :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 02:24:47 pm
Get Between the Trees, that'll give you some motivation  :)

rodma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 02:27:21 pm
Get Between the Trees, that'll give you some motivation  :)

That's the plan for this evening  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Lethargy
November 10, 2009, 02:38:04 pm
DVD is on order

Yours, trmbling in antici-Pation.

rodma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 12:50:38 pm
Shit again last night, I've had enough of this  :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:01:46 pm

My wall session was much better/more motivated last night.. stick at it!

rodma

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:09:55 pm

My wall session was much better/more motivated last night

Bastard, I felt heavy and climbed like a complete beginner (without the boundless enthusiasm that goes with being a beginner), where's the nearest glue factory?

stick at it!

Cheers

Lets face it, I'm not ready to stop training just yet. Gonna have me a tasty campus/beastmaker session tonight, that oughta cheer me up  ;D

Plattsy

• forum hero
#12 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:14:03 pm
Could be the furnace is working harder than normal to keep you warm now the cold has arrived. Maybe try more fuel. Also if your body ain't having it it just might be asking for a breather. I think Sonny Trotter blogged something about needing to give yourself something like 2 weeks off a year to fully recharge batteries.

Or maybe you just need to man the fuck up.  ;D

rodma

• forum hero
#13 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:16:57 pm
Could be the furnace is working harder than normal to keep you warm now the cold has arrived. Maybe try more fuel. Also if your body ain't having it it just might be asking for a breather. I think Sonny Trotter blogged something about needing to give yourself something like 2 weeks off a year to fully recharge batteries.

Stuffing my face right now. I've had loads of time off this year already.

Or maybe you just need to man the fuck up.  ;D

That's the most likely solution  :thumbsup:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#14 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:23:53 pm
Agree with the furnace thing - since the clocks went back I've noticed that I've been really conscious of my immune system suffering if I have a late night or don't eat enough.

In fact, had a pretty crazy week away on business in Germany last week - too much booze, not enough sleep, quite a lot of stress etc and now I'm laid up with a stinking cold.

The other thing I've done differently this winter is that I've tried to focus on a specific area of my climbing - for me it's roof climbing. Found it really motivating to start off finding stuff dead hard, but actually feeling the progression and the gradual breakdown of an area of weakness.

JohnM

• junky
#15 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:30:29 pm
I have been having the same problem recently.  Most of my training sessions have been non starters and I have felt too lethargic to try and push through them.  I also need to get outdoors every so often to maintain the motivation to train and remind me what the point is but I have managed much of that recently because of the lack of light and weather etc.  This is all made worse by the fact as soon as it gets cold and dark I crave stodgey food all the time so i'm probably getting weaker and heavier! 

joel

• player
#16 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:42:28 pm
It's all gone a bit wrong for me too recently. I think there is something in the time of year thing. All my body wants to do is hibernate! i.e. eat loads and get warm!

Perhaps all my (trendy) weight loss for my summer trips hasn't helped me in the way I am feeling now, but training is def. a chore not a pleasure at the moment....

rodma

• forum hero
#17 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:44:08 pm
 :agree:

Just polished off two pain au chocolats and am now feeling the need for a nap.

I should be motivated to train, cos we're away climbing over crimbo. I just find it desperately hard to get going.

The other thing I've done differently this winter is that I've tried to focus on a specific area of my climbing - for me it's roof climbing. Found it really motivating to start off finding stuff dead hard, but actually feeling the progression and the gradual breakdown of an area of weakness.

I'm also trying to focus on one area, but unfortunately I started before the lethargy kicked in, so have experienced a dramatic decline in ability.

Time for a strong coffee me thinks  :-\

joel

• player
#18 Re: Lethargy
November 11, 2009, 01:48:29 pm
Just polished off two pain au chocolats and am now feeling the need for a nap

If you're off to font then this is good training!

Oh yeah I also tried to give up coffee - lasted 24 hours before I gave in! rubbish!

don't give up the coffee!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal