UKBouldering.com

Evening snacks? (Read 12394 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 02:29:51 pm
Classic late night munchies - nip to garage for a finger of fudge, a can of irn bru and a packet of space raiders.

:agree: Classic feast that  :)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#26 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 04:01:02 pm
Classic late night munchies - nip to garage for a finger of fudge, a can of irn bru and a packet of space raiders.

:agree: Classic feast that  :)

Talking of Feasts, and going all old skool...

Mmmmmmmmm

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#27 Re: Evening snacks?
September 30, 2009, 09:42:18 am
I know you're not supposed to eat in the evenings, is it after 9pm or something?
Is there anything I can eat that is not bad for me, I'm sure someone once told me Weetabix, but there must be other things? I've heard fruit is bad because of all the sugar...

SCIENCE (ish) caesin is supposed to be the best absorbed protein at rest. Cottage cheese on toast, or similar dairy based protein if you are a) hungry late b) training / climbing etc a lot
The 'calories turn into fat overnight' stuff has been found to be a myth, in everything i have ever read on nutrition.

kgb93

#28 Re: Evening snacks?
October 16, 2009, 10:55:55 pm
I tired that, but ended up eating a whole packet.
[/quote]

You sound a bit obsessed to me. If you don't want to get fat, just don't eat more calories than you burn! And focus more on your strength and technique.

Chew some gum if you get hungry:P

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: Evening snacks?
October 17, 2009, 08:21:03 am
Quote from: SA Chris
I tired that, but ended up eating a whole packet.

You sound a bit obsessed to me. If you don't want to get fat, just don't eat more calories than you burn! And focus more on your strength and technique.

Chew some gum if you get hungry:P

I think you got the context wrong there, check what he's quoting  ;)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#30 Re: Evening snacks?
November 05, 2009, 10:32:35 am
I read the papers that people were referencing when they claimed eating after 8pm made you fat. If I remember correctly they were taking obese mice and feeding them all their daily calories for the day either at night or during the day. The ones receiving at night put on more weight. It was something like that, the findings were completely non-transferable whatever the exact details were.

You'll probablly climb better if you're well fed and feel healthy, if you eat when you're hungry but try to eat low GI in the evenings/when you're not excercising.

Byronic

#31 Re: Evening snacks?
January 22, 2010, 12:10:38 pm
I know you're not supposed to eat in the evenings, is it after 9pm or something?
Is there anything I can eat that is not bad for me, I'm sure someone once told me Weetabix, but there must be other things? I've heard fruit is bad because of all the sugar...

SCIENCE (ish) caesin is supposed to be the best absorbed protein at rest. Cottage cheese on toast, or similar dairy based protein if you are a) hungry late b) training / climbing etc a lot
The 'calories turn into fat overnight' stuff has been found to be a myth, in everything i have ever read on nutrition.

Exactly what I was going to say :)

(quoted from http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/sleeps this website is pretty packed with various types of helpful information related to exercise in general)

"Sleep stack:

A sleep stack is basically a meal eaten right before going to sleep. When you fast, your body breaks down muscle protein into amino acids necessary for the more important organ system functions. The primary purpose of eating such a meal would be stave off the catabolic effect of fasting for the duration of your sleep while also providing nutrients used for growth and repair of tissues. Eating anything before bed is better than nothing for this purpose, but there are some foods that are suited for the overnight fast.

Since we aren't eating for over 8 hours, we need something that digests slowly. Casein protein is a very slow digesting protein, cottage cheese is rich in casein and highly anabolic. Fats tend to stick around and digest for a long time, there are many convenient sources of fats to choose from. You may also add a starchy carbohydrate source to the mix like oatmeal.

My favorite sleep stack: Scoop out a heap of cottage cheese and mix it with 1/2 scoop of whey, 1 serving of psyillium husk powder, and 1 serving of milled flax seed and/or walnuts. 1 serving of oatmeal on the side or mixed in with everything else. Voila! This bolus will sit on your stomach and provide nutrients for hours and hours. Might as well add in a vitamin C supplement and a vitamin E supplement, and I usually take several fish oil tablets to top it all off. Fish oil is... Super. This sleep stack has stood the test of time for me. I've been eating it for almost five years now and it's served me well.

Substitution: Cottage cheese is the foundation of this stack. If you don't have any, try to get some or try to get used to the taste; It really is an awesome food. But if we were to substitute with something else, meat would be your next best bet. A chicken breast would work. The fat source can be just about anything, nuts seem to work well with the stack."

Oats are pretty brilliant at any time of the day, particularly with milk, if you're not a massive fan of the flavour (never been a problem for me, I love 'em :)) but don't want to put something sugary on as you're just about to go to bed nutmeg or cinnamon are both good. I tried the cottage cheese with oats etc and it's a fair bit more tasty than you'd think, a little splash of tabasco went well (and chilli can help raise metabolism if you're after that). Being a student cottage cheese can be a bit expensive for something to eat every night though.

Also, I'm not sure if it's on the same level as cottage cheese but quark is a pretty magic dairy food  in terms of stats, and goes well on wholemeal toast like anything - personally think quark and marmite go like a charm.

(First post on the forum by the way, hello all :wave: )

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#32 Re: Evening snacks?
January 22, 2010, 12:13:39 pm

what???
i still have to start cooking dinner at 9 pm!!!
anyway they say you shouldn't have too much carbs (you won't need them when sleeping) and sugars.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Evening snacks?
January 22, 2010, 08:22:57 pm
eating a small snack of anything before bed will keep your body burning longer.if its good enuf for arnie its good enuf for you. oh also drink lots of port when you have flu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal