UKBouldering.com

Evening snacks? (Read 12391 times)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 04:22:44 pm
I know you're not supposed to eat in the evenings, is it after 9pm or something?

Is there anything I can eat that is not bad for me, I'm sure someone once told me Weetabix, but there must be other things? I've heard fruit is bad because of all the sugar...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 04:31:24 pm
Weetabix is bad to eat any any time, mainly because it tastes like shit.

Only thing to eat after 9 is a kebab or a curry.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 04:36:12 pm
Just eat when you're hungry and exercise regularly and stop worrying about minor details  ;D

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#3 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 04:39:19 pm
Just eat when you're hungry and exercise regularly and stop worrying about minor details  ;D

I'm hungry all the time :( can't exercise 24 hours a day...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:06:28 pm

I'm hungry all the time :( can't exercise 24 hours a day...

Just go hungry then, or eat celery since it contains less calories than it contains.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#5 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:17:54 pm
Celery is bollox unless you put peanut butter on it, but then I may as well go with the kebab option.

I would take speed if I didn't have a day job  :dance1:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#6 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:23:59 pm
Actually, the idea you're referring to is a bit of a myth.

The idea that evening snacking is worse than at any other time isn't really backed up scientifically, and changes in the metabolism have a fairly negligible effect. All that really matters is your total calorie intake and output.

So basically it doesn't matter that you're snacking late at night, the only question is whether you need the calories at all.

If you want to push yourself endurance wise, such as a long gym session/run/caving trip(if you're me), then the night before is a good time to start loading up on complex carbs.
If you've been exercising that day and you want your body to be able to recover efficiently, then taking on sufficient calories (and obv specifics such as protein) is important, and sleeping on a nutrient-starved body is a seriously bad idea.
If on the other hand you have eaten sufficient calories for the day/aren't pushing hard the next day, and are simply snacking, and thus over-eating, out of habit, it's a problem which you will have to try and work around.

So if you need the calories don't worry, otherwise how about having your evening meal a little later? This could help you stop snacking. Other than that it's down to your own diet/self control and whatever little tricks you can come up with.   :devangel:

One thing i do if i'm feeling like some bored-snacking is have a cup of coffee/tea/hippy tea instead. Or just identify that i'm bored and do something else!

Sam
 :-[

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#7 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:30:25 pm
Cheers Sam - so are you saying that the time (9pm) thing is irrelevant? I thought that your body doesn't break down the food when you're sleeping so it just gets stored as fat?

Eating my evening meal later is easy to do - I just haven't done that because I thought it was bad for you...

psychomansam

• forum hero
#8 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:40:28 pm
Cheers Sam - so are you saying that the time (9pm) thing is irrelevant? I thought that your body doesn't break down the food when you're sleeping so it just gets stored as fat?

Eating my evening meal later is easy to do - I just haven't done that because I thought it was bad for you...

That is indeed what i'm saying! Your body is really just as able to deal with the food at night, if it needs calories it'll use them.
Eating your meal a bit later (wait until you're hungry) is absolutely fine, and far better than eating it when it's not needed and then eating again later on!

You're not being stupid though, it's exactly the same as not eating before you swim due to cramp-induced drowning. Lovely idea, equally commonly believed, equally fictional.

Hope that helps!

Doylo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:40:47 pm
Huffy told me no carbs after 8pm, don't know the science behind it though

psychomansam

• forum hero
#10 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 05:50:53 pm
Huffy told me no carbs after 8pm, don't know the science behind it though

The "science" isn't there. There's just as much evidence that an evening snack can speed up your metabolism, blah blah blah.
It's all hot air really. Calories are calories whether through the night on an IV drip, or from your morning fry up...  :ang:

i.munro

• junky
#11 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 06:11:46 pm
Calories are calories whether through the night on an IV drip, or from your morning fry up...  :ang:

Mmmm IV lard.

tobym

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 09:05:48 pm

Mmmm IV lard.
[/quote]

You obviously have great IV taste receptors!?

i.munro

• junky
#13 Re: Evening snacks?
September 28, 2009, 10:36:38 pm
I was just having a Homer moment

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#14 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:04:20 am
Does anyone know if these natural appetite suppressants are for real?

http://www.appesat.co.uk

Is it a crock of shit?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:06:23 am
Does anyone know if these natural appetite suppressants are for real?

http://www.appesat.co.uk

Is it a crock of shit?

Probably most diet/slimming products are.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#16 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:10:38 am

Even though Vanessa Feltz lost 1.5 stones?  :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:18:26 am

Even though Vanessa Feltz lost 1.5 stones?  :lol:

Who the fuck is she, some fat bint on TV?  ;) :P

Anyway, diets/products don't work because the psychology of a "diet" is that you are going to restrict yourself until you reach a target weight, and you can occasionally "reward" yourself when you've done well.  This is ultimately self-defeating since (with a very few exceptions) its a simple equation of calories in v's calories out, and the best way to achieve this is through a change in life-style (not over eating and regular exercise), not dieting which just encourages a yo-yo'ing in weight.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#18 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:27:53 am
Ok, but recently I read that Stevie Haston was on 700 calories a day to reach his goal and climb 9A. Sounds like a diet to me?

Three Nine

• forum hero
#19 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:28:24 am
Almonds are pretty good for keeping you sated/being good for you imho.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#20 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 09:43:39 am
Almonds are pretty good for keeping you sated/being good for you imho.

Cool - just googled it and it looks like a winner.

One thing that is interesting is:

The researchers also noted that some of the fat found in almonds is not digested or absorbed by the body after consumption, which leads to lower caloric intake than the number indicated on almonds' nutrition labels.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 10:45:52 am
Ok, but recently I read that Stevie Haston was on 700 calories a day to reach his goal and climb 9A. Sounds like a diet to me?

Sounds like you'd wilt if you were on 700 calories a day!

Far be it from me to put words into Stevie Haston's mouth, but yes that will have been a diet with a very specific goal, i.e. climbing 9a, I very much doubt that he'll continue that regime for the rest of his life.  Diets can help you achieve short-term weight loss, but are ineffective at long term weight loss.

You on the other hand sound like you want some help/advice on what you can graze on thats not going to result in the pounds piling on, no?  If this is correct then you'd better face up to the fact that if you don't want to take in too many calories (because it exceeds the amount you're burning and would result in weight gain) then you're going to feel hungry at times (alternatively increase the amount of calories you burn each day e.g. if you don't already start cycling to work).

Psychomansam's advice to recognise when you're bored and about to start eating as a consequence and to go and do something else instead is very good, perhaps have a cigarette whenever you feel hungry  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 11:00:13 am
perhaps have a cigarette whenever you feel hungry  ;)

I tired that, but ended up eating a whole packet.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#23 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 12:43:00 pm
Bananas are good to eat later in the evening because they have stuff in them which helps you sleep, apparently. [/science]

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 01:53:56 pm
Classic late night munchies - nip to garage for a finger of fudge, a can of irn bru and a packet of space raiders.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 02:29:51 pm
Classic late night munchies - nip to garage for a finger of fudge, a can of irn bru and a packet of space raiders.

:agree: Classic feast that  :)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#26 Re: Evening snacks?
September 29, 2009, 04:01:02 pm

:agree: Classic feast that  :)

Talking of Feasts, and going all old skool...

Mmmmmmmmm

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#27 Re: Evening snacks?
September 30, 2009, 09:42:18 am
I know you're not supposed to eat in the evenings, is it after 9pm or something?
Is there anything I can eat that is not bad for me, I'm sure someone once told me Weetabix, but there must be other things? I've heard fruit is bad because of all the sugar...

SCIENCE (ish) caesin is supposed to be the best absorbed protein at rest. Cottage cheese on toast, or similar dairy based protein if you are a) hungry late b) training / climbing etc a lot
The 'calories turn into fat overnight' stuff has been found to be a myth, in everything i have ever read on nutrition.

kgb93

#28 Re: Evening snacks?
October 16, 2009, 10:55:55 pm
[/quote]

You sound a bit obsessed to me. If you don't want to get fat, just don't eat more calories than you burn! And focus more on your strength and technique.

Chew some gum if you get hungry:P

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: Evening snacks?
October 17, 2009, 08:21:03 am
Quote from: SA Chris

You sound a bit obsessed to me. If you don't want to get fat, just don't eat more calories than you burn! And focus more on your strength and technique.

Chew some gum if you get hungry:P

I think you got the context wrong there, check what he's quoting  ;)

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#30 Re: Evening snacks?
November 05, 2009, 10:32:35 am
I read the papers that people were referencing when they claimed eating after 8pm made you fat. If I remember correctly they were taking obese mice and feeding them all their daily calories for the day either at night or during the day. The ones receiving at night put on more weight. It was something like that, the findings were completely non-transferable whatever the exact details were.

You'll probablly climb better if you're well fed and feel healthy, if you eat when you're hungry but try to eat low GI in the evenings/when you're not excercising.

Byronic

#31 Re: Evening snacks?
January 22, 2010, 12:10:38 pm

SCIENCE (ish) caesin is supposed to be the best absorbed protein at rest. Cottage cheese on toast, or similar dairy based protein if you are a) hungry late b) training / climbing etc a lot
The 'calories turn into fat overnight' stuff has been found to be a myth, in everything i have ever read on nutrition.

Exactly what I was going to say :)

(quoted from http://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/sleeps this website is pretty packed with various types of helpful information related to exercise in general)

"Sleep stack:

A sleep stack is basically a meal eaten right before going to sleep. When you fast, your body breaks down muscle protein into amino acids necessary for the more important organ system functions. The primary purpose of eating such a meal would be stave off the catabolic effect of fasting for the duration of your sleep while also providing nutrients used for growth and repair of tissues. Eating anything before bed is better than nothing for this purpose, but there are some foods that are suited for the overnight fast.

Since we aren't eating for over 8 hours, we need something that digests slowly. Casein protein is a very slow digesting protein, cottage cheese is rich in casein and highly anabolic. Fats tend to stick around and digest for a long time, there are many convenient sources of fats to choose from. You may also add a starchy carbohydrate source to the mix like oatmeal.

My favorite sleep stack: Scoop out a heap of cottage cheese and mix it with 1/2 scoop of whey, 1 serving of psyillium husk powder, and 1 serving of milled flax seed and/or walnuts. 1 serving of oatmeal on the side or mixed in with everything else. Voila! This bolus will sit on your stomach and provide nutrients for hours and hours. Might as well add in a vitamin C supplement and a vitamin E supplement, and I usually take several fish oil tablets to top it all off. Fish oil is... Super. This sleep stack has stood the test of time for me. I've been eating it for almost five years now and it's served me well.

Substitution: Cottage cheese is the foundation of this stack. If you don't have any, try to get some or try to get used to the taste; It really is an awesome food. But if we were to substitute with something else, meat would be your next best bet. A chicken breast would work. The fat source can be just about anything, nuts seem to work well with the stack."

Oats are pretty brilliant at any time of the day, particularly with milk, if you're not a massive fan of the flavour (never been a problem for me, I love 'em :)) but don't want to put something sugary on as you're just about to go to bed nutmeg or cinnamon are both good. I tried the cottage cheese with oats etc and it's a fair bit more tasty than you'd think, a little splash of tabasco went well (and chilli can help raise metabolism if you're after that). Being a student cottage cheese can be a bit expensive for something to eat every night though.

Also, I'm not sure if it's on the same level as cottage cheese but quark is a pretty magic dairy food  in terms of stats, and goes well on wholemeal toast like anything - personally think quark and marmite go like a charm.

(First post on the forum by the way, hello all :wave: )

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#32 Re: Evening snacks?
January 22, 2010, 12:13:39 pm

what???
i still have to start cooking dinner at 9 pm!!!
anyway they say you shouldn't have too much carbs (you won't need them when sleeping) and sugars.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Evening snacks?
January 22, 2010, 08:22:57 pm
eating a small snack of anything before bed will keep your body burning longer.if its good enuf for arnie its good enuf for you. oh also drink lots of port when you have flu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal