UKBouldering.com

Climbing Factory Ground Hog (Read 6217 times)

adam_NE5

• regular
Climbing Factory Ground Hog
September 19, 2009, 12:48:31 pm
The time has come for me to invest in a new mat, my Moon mat is definately too soft to take highball landings now!
I was looking at the "Ground Hog" http://www.climbingfactory.co.uk/products.html and was wondering if anybody had any experience regarding how well they age, my Moon mat didnt stand up to the test of time and i dont want to make the same expensive mistake.
Any feedback would be brilliant, my alternative would be a Pod super size pad!

Duma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
September 19, 2009, 05:48:38 pm
No info on the climbing factory mat I'm afraid, but I've got the predessesor to the pod super crash mat (I think its the same as the one on their site except the new ones have better buckles) Had it for a few years now and it's still going strong. Top tips to extend life are to store taco mats unfolded, and avoid spending hours lounging around on them. I assume you're aware of alpkits foam replacements? Good budget option I hear.

adam_NE5

• regular
#2 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
September 19, 2009, 06:01:08 pm
Cheers for the info mate, Pod seems to be the way to go! My moon one has just about had it from hard abuse more than anything else, had an alpkit one before and it was absolutely shocking, it just fell apart, I suppose you get what you pay for!

Phil-p

#3 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
September 19, 2009, 06:40:40 pm
Got a pod taco, had it for about 6months and it's taken abuse from all 5 of us in my family a couple of times a week without any probs. Seems to be out lasting the metoleous and black diamond pads for wear n tear

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
September 19, 2009, 06:42:25 pm
No info on the ground hog I'm afraid, but I've been very impressed with a Snap mat I bought 15-18 months ago, still feels as hard as it was when new. Just another note that I bought a replacement cover for my Alpkit Phud (which fell apart like your one by the sound of things) 9-10 months ago, and it seems much tougher than the old one. Foams still crap though! (its now a useful extra/spare mat)
T

augustus trout

#5 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
December 02, 2009, 01:24:31 pm
I,ve got a hog mat, well built and good value for money.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
December 02, 2009, 08:09:49 pm
if you get in touch with ben he will put new foam in your moon pad for about a tenner

bulderman

#7 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
March 03, 2010, 05:32:03 pm
I've Lhotse crash mat, fantastic mat cordura cover,big size, good carrying system, price "(not to expensive)"  ;D

Eddies

• forum hero
#8 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
March 03, 2010, 10:02:21 pm
Ive had a ground hog for a couple of years now and its still bob-on. Cant recommend them enough.
Bit heavier than most mats but steardier and harder wearing. Ian can replace anything that wears-out or breaks also, no meither.
Give your money to a local company producing quality mats.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#9 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
March 04, 2010, 10:27:16 am
Haven't got one......yet, but they gave me an extremely reasonable quote for a custom mat, size wise along the lines of a Black Diamond Mondo, but a little thicker with some special foam for my huge ass to land on when it all goes tits-up.
If I behave, stop spunking money on Cigars and coffee  :spank: and rustle up a few decent size jobs the missus said I might be allowed to get one at the end of this month, and when I do make my purchase it will be with these guys, I love to support anything locally/British made wherever possible   ;D

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#10 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
March 05, 2010, 12:53:41 pm
Ian at the Climbing Factory is bob-on when it comes to special requests. I commented about my brush-on-a-stick falling out of the pads when carried rucsac stylee, so he added a wee pocket to pad cover to pop the end of the brush into.

They are great pads, I've had mine well over two years now and little to no sign of wear. Best of British I say!

205Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Climbing Factory Ground Hog
March 05, 2010, 07:12:21 pm
if you get in touch with ben he will put new foam in your moon pad for about a tenner

Really? The moon site quotes 70 notes for replacement foam for a warrior pad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal