UKBouldering.com

Nikon DSLR (Read 97588 times)

chummer

• forum abuser
#125 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 29, 2010, 09:29:49 pm
good point Paul, just checked this out, seems like great value for the spec, especially with the HD video...

Paul B

• forum hero
#126 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 29, 2010, 09:51:07 pm
good point Paul, just checked this out, seems like great value for the spec, especially with the HD video...

Got mine with a 3 year warranty as well (Photobox). If you're Sheffield based you're welcome to have a look at mine (ooh er) before you buy?

chummer

• forum abuser
#127 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 29, 2010, 10:00:48 pm
Thanks for the offer, I would love to have a look at yours Paul but I'm over in N wales, also I snapped up the offer on the d90, I got a great price but having not considered the 550 i may have been a little premature (ooh missus)..

Bowie

• addict
#128 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 30, 2010, 04:24:46 pm
followed with interest the advice on here and just got me a d90 with the 18-105 lens kit. ummed and arhhd about whether to get a prime but went for the zoom. feels lovely. sooo many buttons and variables. first impressions great.

chummer

• forum abuser
#129 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 30, 2010, 06:38:47 pm
what price did you pay if you don't mind me asking Bowie? Was it new? Still waiting for mine from Amazon :bounce:

What would folk recommend as a good quality second lens to the 18-105mm for climbing, nature and landscape? Something wider or longer? :-\

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#130 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 31, 2010, 09:07:59 am

Bowie

• addict
#131 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 31, 2010, 06:58:25 pm
what price did you pay if you don't mind me asking Bowie? Was it new? Still waiting for mine from Amazon :bounce:

What would folk recommend as a good quality second lens to the 18-105mm for climbing, nature and landscape? Something wider or longer? :-\

i used the camera price checker on here, amazon the cheapest. but i was dragged to meadowhall, went to jessops, had a good feel and a play, couldn't wait for the internet shopping experience so bought in the shop. i think i paid about £20 more than amazon?

another day of shooting and i'm loving it.

chummer

• forum abuser
#132 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 31, 2010, 10:00:21 pm
Fucking bastards! I knew it was too good to be true, amazon seller cancelled my order even after initially confirming shipment, mother fucking twat face bastard wanking cock merchants. I now have a d90 field guide and cable remote on it's way to me a no fookin camera!

Anyways, still looking and I have been distracted by the d90 with 18-200 vr kit as a 'do all' lens but I am concerned that it may compromise quality too much and that because it has such a range it may not be quite as honest at the extreme ends of it's range, any view on this?

There is a  D90+AF-S VR DX 18-55MM LENS+ AF-S VR DX 55-200 which seems like a good lens combo without compromising quality too much. Basically I don't want to get the d90 only to sacrifice picture quality by not having a good enough lens, so advice welcomed. I have trawled through photography forums and reviews and it's hard to find a consensus of opinion.

Would it be better to get the d90 with the 18-105 vr kit as a good general set up and think of investing in another lens to compliment this later? Is the 18-105vr lens worth having at all?

HELP  :please:

chummer

• forum abuser
#133 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 31, 2010, 11:05:08 pm
Also (God! I'm demanding) I am coming across d90's with lens kits that are stated as being Mk II, does this mean that there are Mk I's out there that are in some way inferior in some way hence being sold cheaper even thought they're still new and boxed??

chummer

• forum abuser
#134 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 31, 2010, 11:09:13 pm
<waiting open mouthed ready for spoon feeding>

Paul B

• forum hero
#135 Re: Nikon DSLR
May 31, 2010, 11:10:41 pm
still chance for the 550 then  :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#136 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 07:05:07 am
Fucking bastards! I knew it was too good to be true, amazon seller cancelled my order even after initially confirming shipment, mother fucking twat face bastard wanking cock merchants. I now have a d90 field guide and cable remote on it's way to me a no fookin camera!

Anyways, still looking and I have been distracted by the d90 with 18-200 vr kit as a 'do all' lens but I am concerned that it may compromise quality too much and that because it has such a range it may not be quite as honest at the extreme ends of it's range, any view on this?

There is a  D90+AF-S VR DX 18-55MM LENS+ AF-S VR DX 55-200 which seems like a good lens combo without compromising quality too much. Basically I don't want to get the d90 only to sacrifice picture quality by not having a good enough lens, so advice welcomed. I have trawled through photography forums and reviews and it's hard to find a consensus of opinion.

Would it be better to get the d90 with the 18-105 vr kit as a good general set up and think of investing in another lens to compliment this later? Is the 18-105vr lens worth having at all?

HELP  :please:

18-200 VR is a brilliant all round lens, I've been using one for a few years on a D50 and more recently a D90.

It ain't a prime, but is very good even at the extremes.  Lots of discussion on it in the Nikon 18-200 VR FLickr group and some in the Nikon D90 & 18-200 VR (although both are obviously slightly biased towards the 'pro' as oppossed to 'cons' of this combination).

Consider carrying stuff around too, not sure on the weight of the individual lenses you're suggesting, but having one lens that covers a wide range is a blessing when you're lugging it long distances (for me at least).

grimer

• forum hero
#137 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 09:27:27 am
Would someone PLEASE spoonfeed Chummer's big open gob quick.

(as basically I'm wondering the same thing myself)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#138 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 09:34:30 am
Also (God! I'm demanding) I am coming across d90's with lens kits that are stated as being Mk II, does this mean that there are Mk I's out there that are in some way inferior in some way hence being sold cheaper even thought they're still new and boxed??

Without links to illustrate what you are referring too (I'm too lazy today to go off an look this up in order to answer your question definitively) I suspect the Mk I/Mk II is referring to the generation of VR lense that the body comes with.  Mk II is the newer version.

Oh yes, on the weight front the 18-200 VR isn't exactly light, but likely lighter than carrying round two lenses.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#139 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 09:37:14 am
My two-penneth - don't get an 18-200. Too big a range to do justice to it all, and if nothing else, its Chris Craggs' choice. If you want something a bit better than the standard zoom, get the 16-85mm. The extra 2mm at the wide end will be more useful for climbing and landscape shots, than the 200mm. Overall quality is better too.

Somebody's Fool took my advice on just this question a few months back and is already a published pap with a cafe gallery. Had he bought the 18-200, he'd still just be a man with a camera.

The Mk II might refer to the lens rather than the combo. The 18-200 was updated recently.

tomtom

• forum hero
#140 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 10:12:32 am
I too was looking at the 18-200 recently - and the VRI is available for c.400 sheets still, wheras the newer VRII is c.550/600... not really sure what the difference is. I have the stock 18-55 and its been OK (not mind blowing) to date - though have wished for something a bit longer at times - and faster too so you can blur out background/foreground things better...

If I'd known about C.C. and his lens of choice I'd have bought a Canon  ;)

Actually, being half serious - I'm well pleased with my Nikon (D5000) but find mysef using the video about 1/2 the time much more than I thought... and part of me wonders whether the Canon with the full 1080p vid would have been better than the 720 on the Nikon.. Still, as I said before - very pleased with my Nikon...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#142 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 04:23:25 pm

I think this is the crux, you can't have a 'do all' lens without compromising.  Yes there are shaper lenses out there, but they won't do everything.  If you can't be arsed lugging lots of different lenses around then the 18-200 is[/is] a good choice.

You'll probably still find that you want something a bit more wider and something a bit longer, and invariably you will want something with a few more f/stops.  And you could certainly bulk out the lens collection in due course.

But then I'm just a man with a camera who's not had anything published, nor do I frequent cafes.

tomtom

• forum hero
#143 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 04:50:12 pm
I'm just a man with a camera who's not had anything published, nor do I frequent cafes.

Sounds like a new sig to me  :)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#144 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 01, 2010, 06:05:10 pm
In terms of lenses, I rarely find myself using much else other than a 14-24mm or a 24-70mm for everything I shoot.
When shooting events/action stuff, i'll occasionally pick up a 70-200mm for extra reach, it might be worth approaching your local hire center, it doesn't cost much to hire lenses and you can find out what you like/want/need, and experiment for very little initial outlay, this may also put you in a better position in the future when choosing new lenses to buy, as you will have had the opportunity to experience more lenses without purchasing them.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#145 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 02, 2010, 11:18:18 am
Oh by the way chummer, if you can hold out for 2-3 months, there may well be a well maintained D300 coming up for sale at a very reasonable price ;)

Potentially with the grip kit.

chummer

• forum abuser
#146 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 02, 2010, 03:08:31 pm
Thanks for the advice and knowledge all, will sack off the 18-200 idea, can't stand the thought of having any common ground with Chis Cock Crabs Crags.

So, Grimer.......I'm gonna look at d90 body only and a 16-85 lens as Johnny suggested, I like the idea of having the wider angle after being a Ricoh compact user...

I am however still attracted to the 18-105 deal as I can get a good price as a combo, anyone used this lens?
Is it worth the extra length compared to the 16-85?

What should Grimer I do??

James, can't wait that long I'm afraid, it's summer, I am disabled and have resorted to putting a shed up and knocking walls down, I need something to get me out and about before I start washing my van on a Sunday :'(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#147 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 02, 2010, 03:24:38 pm
can't stand the thought of having any common ground with Chis Cock Crabs Crags.

I'm sorry but that really is exceptionally childish, and if you're going to be consistent then you'd best find out what other equipment he has so you don't get anything the same, perhaps Chris also has the 16-85 and the 18-105, you're up shit creek if he does.  Hell, why not make sure of it and go with Cannon just in case, oh and best check out what camera bag he uses to pack it all in too.

If you meant it tongue in cheek, I didn't find it funny, particularly given the concurrent discussion here (and it was a pointless jibe JB made in the first place).

I think Chris' comment about UKB has been nicely ridiculed by the t-shirts/hoodies and see no point in perpetuating or antagonising anyone further.  :wall:

Hope you recuperate soon.  :hug:

chummer

• forum abuser
#148 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 02, 2010, 03:29:00 pm
Johnny, what do you think of this deal?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280512873844&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2102wt_913

seems like a good lens combo, preferable to the 18-105. Will the quality be better?

Unless I can find a good price second hand the 16-85mm is out of my price bracket unfortunately, although I am scanning ebay and camera exchanges, etc just in case.

I promise this is my last question/s unless Grimer has anything left to ask, and I we thank you for your help and input. :great:

chummer

• forum abuser
#149 Re: Nikon DSLR
June 02, 2010, 03:40:10 pm
Bloody'ell slack line!  yes, twas  tongue in cheek, and yes it was childish at that (i am childish), no I hadn't seen the UKB thread you linked, and I think that is my first ever dig at C.C (surely everyone is allowed at least one :P) except for the direct one I gave him on UKC for telling everyone how to squeeze around the fence in Dali's hole when I was trying to stop all the punters from fucking up access to the quarries...maybe I am not active enough on here to see just how far things went with all that<exhales>  :shrug:

Anyways, thank you for the cuddle, fortunately I can get up easy routes so will have be able to feed the rat a little this summer :kiss1:

back on topic..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal