UKBouldering.com

Time Lapse Options Knowledge (Read 12470 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#25 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
September 22, 2015, 11:00:33 am
That opening sequence is fucking brilliant.

What are you building Nik, a Caterham?

nik at work

• forum hero
#26 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
September 22, 2015, 08:15:10 pm
Nothing so exciting I'm afraid.
We are a traditional sheet metal/stainless steel/aluminium fab company so our bread and butter work is ducting, commercial kitchen tables/sinks/whathaveyou fire escapes and industrial stainless one off (or limited run) fabrications. I.e. Fairly standard straight lines and right angles things.
However we've recently had a few enquiries of a more creative/artistic bent that we have taken on. Previously the firm would have probably politely declined but staffing changes (I.e. Me) mean that we are (I am...) keener to get involved in this more varied, creative, technically challenging and ultimately more interesting (and potentially lucrative) work.
So a promotional video showcasing this new creativity within the firm is the plan.

And the project? Well it is

A big stainless steel seahorse of course...

Anyway hopefully the seahorse and video will look boss squared and lead to further interesting projects...

nik at work

• forum hero
#27 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
October 17, 2015, 12:00:24 pm
Thanks for the various inputs and comments, all very helpful stuff.
In the end I decided to go down the iPad route as it seemed the simplest way to get a quick result, a key factor given how crazy busy life and work are right now. Anyway I have captured some some lapse footage using lapse it (the paid for version). There have however been a couple of issues. The minor issue is that lapse it has projects, and each time you shoot a lapse you can either start a new project or append the footage onto an existing lapse. I chose the latter option to keep everything in one place. However this means you end up with a LOT of frames and the iPad struggles to process it and keeps failing, also lapse it has basic editing facilities to trim/cut unwanted frames. This works well on a single lapse, but where two lapses are appended I keep getting little loops of frames which obviously doesn't work with a time lapse of building something, you build a bit and then immediately build it again. Anyway these issues are relatively minor, frustrating I this case but in the future easily worked around.
A more fundamental problem is having a three year old who knows how to access the iPad...
I have some footage which I will attempt to get onto Vimeo and stick on here if people are interested once I've finished the build.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#28 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
October 17, 2015, 07:02:18 pm
Yeah stick it up Nik, I love a bit of camera / software geekery ;)

nik at work

• forum hero
#29 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
October 24, 2015, 08:34:12 pm
Right I'm bored of fighting the powers of Apple, I cannot get footage off the ipad and onto anything else. Life is too short for this shit...

Anyway for anyone interested and not stalking me on facebook here are a couple of (pretty crap out of focus) photos of the thing wot I made:
Seahorse 2 by Nik Jennings, on Flickr

Seahorse 1 by Nik Jennings, on Flickr

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#30 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
October 24, 2015, 09:39:40 pm
I like that

very seahorsey

I mean it looks made like real seahorses are made - stiff ribby bits, plates in between

ace

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
October 26, 2015, 01:21:38 pm
Good skills.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#32 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
November 12, 2015, 08:13:29 pm
Advice to anyone shooting a timelapse- make sure you're not in auto white balance before you set it going, especially if your photo editing software doesn't let you batch-edit white balance...

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#33 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
November 12, 2015, 11:25:15 pm
Agreed. Fully automatic is the way to go

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: Time Lapse Options Knowledge
November 13, 2015, 09:02:17 am
Fully manual you mean?