UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 361639 times)

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
I can't believe Strauss declared ..... Should have carried on till the finish ..... Pietersen would have got another knock with no pressure to perform brilliantly and the Cons bowlers would have been completely fucked both physically and mentally ....... Exactly the state  we want them in for for friday morning ....... 

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
I can't believe Strauss declared ..... Should have carried on till the finish ..... Pietersen would have got another knock with no pressure to perform brilliantly and the Cons bowlers would have been completely fucked both physically and mentally ....... Exactly the state  we want them in for for friday morning .......

I don't think so somehow. Cook & Trott would have spent a couple of hours facing the world-class bowling of Katich, Hussey and even Ponting himself if Strauss hadn't declared. It was worth seeing if the Oz batting was paying attention.

Bobling's prediction for the remainder of the series is perfectly reasonable but I would make England favourites to win in Sydney as they have the better spin bowlers and it always turns at the SCG.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck

I don't think so somehow. Cook & Trott would have spent a couple of hours facing the world-class bowling of Katich, Hussey and even Ponting himself if Strauss hadn't declared. It was worth seeing if the Oz batting was paying attention.

Hmmmmm  :-\ ......

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Two gone in the first over - go on Jimmie! ;D

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
This makes for the WC fiasco :)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
you can keep the world cup as another one goes... Convicts 2 fer 3

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Recovered a bit now, 43/3. But still pretty damned good start. Punter out for a golden duck though, it doesn't get much better than that.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
What a great day. Well done England.
245 all out aussies
Anderson 4
Broad 1
Finn 1
Swann 2

England 0-0 after one over at end of play.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
What a day - three early wickets, two nearly played on's, a dropped catch, a fight back from the Aussies and that was the just the first session! England take the initiative back, panic seems to set in and the Aussies are all out for 245 leaving England to survive the one over they have to face which they do with no alarms. As if that wasn't enough Punter has a little bicker with Strauss as the teams leave the field - you have gotta love the Ashes.

Graeme - Strauss leg bye to the first ball - England 1-0.

Bobling

• menacing presence
Recovered a bit now, 43/3. But still pretty damned good start. Punter out for a golden duck though, it doesn't get much better than that.

I came back from a gig and turned it on and saw it was 0-1 and thought "Oh that's good news" before going to bed.  If only I'd watched for ONE MORE BALL! :-[

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Another good day
ended 317-2 with
cook 136 not out
Pietersen 85 not out

Strauss went for 1 and Trott went for 78

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I think this picture sums it up quite well

tomtom

• forum hero

I think the above is a bit unfair - (but funny so hey!) & I've got alot of admiration for Punter, he gets his head down and gets on with it (golden pair that is!) and has stuck through alot more shit than most would have...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Complaining about excessive sledging is a bit fucking rich though!  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
Complaining about excessive sledging is a bit fucking rich though!  :lol:

Yes - but that is a brilliant sign that they're losing it (spelt correctly!)
Implosion awaits...

I seem to have problems sleeping at the moment, and after lying awake in bed for an hour or so last night got up and watched the afternoon session... great stuff - they really were scratching around trying to find a way through... Lets hope Swann can mop them up in the 2nd innings... If we go 1 up - then they have to win two in order to get the ashes back,... thats a big big ask...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
If we go 1 up - then they have to win two in order to get the ashes back,... thats a big big ask...

My thoughts were running on a very similar sort of track last night - if we win two tests we retain the Ashes. Considering at the time the aussie bowlers were sticking to a line of wide outside off stump in an effort to concede as few runs as possible and possibly tempt Cook\Trott into chasing a wide one and getting out it really was a rather English way of thinking about things.  ???

Plattsy

• forum hero
Aussie bookies have England at 5/4 to retain the urn which tells you all you need to know about things are going at the moment.

Good start today. Two centurions at the crease. Crack on and hopefully only bat once this test.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Cook gone. I'll leave this thread alone now.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
Cook gone. I'll leave this thread alone now.

No real harm done. 428-3. KP has his ton (well 144 at the moment), Collie is on 34 and looking good (good Mackem lad) and Punter's field placing are totally perlexing the TMS crew as well as the Convicts who are commentating on the live stream that I am not watching.

Looking good I think.

Plattsy

• forum hero
No real harm done. 428-3. KP has his ton (well 144 at the moment), Collie is on 34 and looking good (good Mackem lad) and Punter's field placing are totally perlexing the TMS crew as well as the Convicts who are commentating on the live stream that I am not watching.

Looking good I think.

Ok I'm back. Colly & KP looking comfortable. Channel 9 commentators are clutching at straws big time. KP 150 with a crisp 4. Good to hear Chappell talking about "England's rampage".

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
Doctor, doctor, help me!  I'm beginning to feel sorry for the convicts..........  :whistle:

Bobling

• menacing presence
What's happened to the Aussies?  They look like Bangladesh!

I haven't put up a song/chant for a while so time for a rousing chorus of

"Are you Scotland?
Are you Scotland?
Are you Scotland in disguise?"

tomtom

• forum hero
Dont forget it starts at 11:30 tonight - to try and make up time lost yesterday...

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM

I haven't put up a song/chant for a while so time for a rousing chorus of

"Are you Scotland?
Are you Scotland?
Are you Scotland in disguise?"

Please don't be rude to the Cons, Scotland lost to Afghanistan yesterday. I like to think the Cons are more like Namibia at the moment :-)

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".

The bottom line is that teams which have a golden generation, often have to accept a huge hangover afterwards. It happened after the Chappell/Lillee/Marsh era over here and the collapse of West Indian cricket after their golden age (1976-94) was so bad they have never looked like recovering since!
It's quite funny seeing how many people over here simply cannot accept that India, South Africa and England now have better players than we do and have learned to match our coaching and other support systems.
Denial is not a river in Africa!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal