UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 357010 times)

mark20

• junky
Gripping stuff. I had forgotten to take my digital radio so we had to sit in the car listening to TMS for the last hour before we could go on our evening walk

mark20

• junky
Test Cricket on terrestrial TV for the first time in 15+ years :2thumbsup:
Good day of international sport tomorrow with cricket in the morning and rugby in the afternoon and evening  :icon_beerchug:

Wood FT

• forum hero
Had it on in class today. Root on fire and cramping up! Looks warm as over there.

sheavi

• menacing presence
Six straight back down the ground for his 200.  Triple a distinct possibility - he still looks hungry.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Damn.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Pitch looks like it's starting to take some turn. I think if we can get to 550 that would be a very good score on this.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Not watched cricket for ages (don't have Sky) and forgotten how much I enjoy it. Even when there isn't much going on there is the intrigue and little battles happening every ball.

It is the complete antithesis of most sports where it is about making things faster paced and a better "product". Every time watching a test I can remember an American fried to whom I explained the game being baffled that it can last 5 days and still end in a draw!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
It is the complete antithesis of most sports where it is about making things faster paced and a better "product".

Yeah, no-one would ever try to modify the format of cricket in an attempt to give it greater appeal.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Ha, I understand that is what is going on with the IPL, Big Bash, etc. I just find those games forgettable though. Whereas great test matches seem to give moments that stick in the memory. Maybe because the game develops slowly over the days and it isn't instant gratification.

tomtom

• forum hero
Not watched cricket for ages (don't have Sky) and forgotten how much I enjoy it. Even when there isn't much going on there is the intrigue and little battles happening every ball.

It is the complete antithesis of most sports where it is about making things faster paced and a better "product". Every time watching a test I can remember an American fried to whom I explained the game being baffled that it can last 5 days and still end in a draw!

My American friends have usually got cricket when you compare it to baseball. Despite the razzmatazz baseball has quite a similar tempo to cricket if you go and watch a game. Ie. Long periods of nothing much happening where you read the paper abs chat - interspersed with moments of genius and tension.

Baseball also has stats in common with cricket.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Fantastic win. Vindication for Root's tactics yesterday; he clearly knew that pitch better than anyone else. Anderson still magnificent.

J_duds

• menacing presence
It has been entertaining these last few days watching test cricket with my morning bowl of porridge.  What will England do when Jimmy retires from International cricket?

tomtom

• forum hero
If you're not watching - watch - its bonkers!

mark20

• junky
England v Sri Lanka T20 on BBC2 this evening, perfect summers evening viewing  :beer2:

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Highlights from the thrasing of the Kiws here https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/video/clips/2023/february/highlights-new-zealand-vs-england-first-test-day-four

Can't wait for the Ashes especially with the Convicts being so poor in India :-)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Highlights from the thrasing of the Kiws here https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/video/clips/2023/february/highlights-new-zealand-vs-england-first-test-day-four

Can't wait for the Ashes especially with the Convicts being so poor in India :-)

Anyone in India is on a hiding to nothing but it was one hell of a collapse by the Aussies.  ;D

As for the Ashes - I am, as ever, a loyal and devoted England cricket fan but it is a loyalty tempered by the fire of some liberal thrashings handed out to us in the past. We are obviously in a far greater place than the dog days of Joe Roots captaincy but it still feels wrong to my jaded heart.

Anyway I will watch the above and try to get over this terrible fear I have. I think what we need is for Phil Tufnell to start announcing confidently that we will win 5-0 - we will piss it then.  :lol:   

remus

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal