UKBouldering.com

Balls to the Aussies the cricket thread (Read 361644 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

We could do with Bopara doing a fuck of a lot better than he has so far in the series.

Can only hope that he finally makes something out of what are usually decent starts that are never capitalised on.

:whistle:  :wall:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I know it's rude to boast, but sod it, I'm well SYKED as I'm off to Edgbaston for the weekend (and I know, the forecast is awful).

Know it's a long shot, but any fellow UKBers gonna be there? Anyone got any balti house recommendations?

Expect photos of a UKB t-shirt at an Ashes test match soon...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Have fun.

You bastard.  ;D

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Yeah I think you're probably right.

Quote from: cricinfo
The Ashes battle is hotting up on the airwaves as well as the pitch after a falling out between Matthew Hayden and Geoff Boycott on the opening day at Edgbaston while working for Test Match Special. Hayden, who has joined for the rest of the summer, said Boycott's batting style "emptied cricket grounds" and Boycott promptly stormed out of the commentary box saying "don't need comments like that at my stage." They shook hands later, but the atmosphere is likely to be deliciously frosty

:lol:

Their first meeting was pretty funny yesterday - this isn't bang on, but it went something like:

(Matty Hayden walks into commentary box)

Hayden: Morning fellas

Aggers: Ah, here we go Geoffrey, here's a man you always used to enjoy seeing at a cricket ground...

Boycs: There's only one bit o' Matty I used to enjoy seeing when he were batting, and that were 'is back...

Genius.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
What a cracking days cricket what?

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
not looking good with the weather..

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
The chances of a result have increased a fair bit with the second session of the 4th day going Englands way.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
A fine 55 off 64 from Broad before England are bowled out for 376 - some positive batting from the lower order gives England a nice lead of 113 and a good chance of a result out of this match which didn't look likely a day or so ago.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
Huge wicket for Swann bowling Ponting for just 5 - Australia are 52/2 and still 61 runs behind!

nik at work

• forum hero
I don't follow cricket so forgive my ignorance but it appears that Ponting is-
1) An obnoxious grumpy sort
2) A bit shit at cricket

Am I some way wide of the mark?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
1) He's Australian
2) His batting has been substandard this tour, and his captaincy/decision making has been questionable for some time. Indeed he may become the first Aussie captain to lose 2 ashes series....I think.

andy_e

• forum hero
As opposed to the first English captain to lose two series, that happened long ago  :(

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
I don't follow cricket so forgive my ignorance but it appears that Ponting is-
1) An obnoxious grumpy sort
2) A bit shit at cricket

Am I some way wide of the mark?

Your first point is quite correct though he hasn't been quite so grumpy in his interviews following the mauling he got after the first test. Your second point is wrong though - one thing you have to say about Ponting regardless of everything else is that he is a very fine cricketer indeed though he has been nowhere near his best this tour.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
I will love it if Ponting is the first Aussie captain to lose the Ashes twice.

Mitchell Johson seems to have a big opinion of himself for such a shit bowler. It doesn't even look like he's any good sledging.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Despite getting a couple of wickets the draw still looks most likely unless Australia suffer a collapse of England style proportions. Always a chance!

Mitchell Johson seems to have a big opinion of himself for such a shit bowler. It doesn't even look like he's any good sledging.

Most entertaining.

Oh, and......

;D

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

Mitchell Johson seems to have a big opinion of himself for such a shit bowler.

He seems to have got a bit of form going in this test but nothing compared to that in the SA series earlier this year by all accounts.

Been thinking on the Broad conundrum a bit over the last few days - I have no doubt that he will be England's next all rounder and that is a role that should suit him better as less will be expected of him in the bowling department - perhaps he is just having a bad series but his bowling has not been of the standard necessary in this test series.

Anyway England need another wicket in the next 5-10 overs of the afternoon session to make a win a realistic chance IMO.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
More food for thought - Bell or Bopara at no. 3 in the 4th test? Both are going to be playing in the next test barring injury so who would you put at no. 3?

Ooerr - it's all gone a bit TMS...

robertostallioni

• forum hero
The Bopara problem looks to have no elegant solution.

His form thus far has been "fully toss". Do you move him down the order? Drop him completely?

Do you keep consistently underperforming stars in the side to play them through bad spells? I don't know. I understand he's a good 1 dayer but his test batting/shot selection has been wonk, and in my opinion, he should be first against the wall when the revolution comes.....

till then I'd put Bell in at three and move Bopara down.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:22:36 pm by robertostallioni »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree:

Bopara's been totally frustrating with the bat and his fielding's been no great shakes either. He looks as if he's not really bothered.

Bell proved a lot of people wrong with that innings (the lbw shout notwithstanding!). He deserves the chance at three. With no Warne in the side his psychological problems with playing against Australia must have reduced dramatically.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
The Bopara problem looks to have no elegant solution.

His form thus far has been "fully toss". Do you move him down the order? Drop him completely?

With Pietersen out for the rest of the series he is pretty much a shoe in so no chance of dropping him completely IMO. I wouldn't have said that his form has been "fully toss" either rather consistently inconsistent and bloody infuriating - he has made starts in all of the innings so far and then managed to get himself out in some ridiculous fashion.

ill then I'd put Bell in at three and move Bopara down.

That would be my solution though it is far from perfect - I don't think Bell is a much better batsman at no. 3 - just less likely to make some sort of error.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Do we have any test batsmen anymore? KP has no patience and plays like he's in 20twenty. - like Bopara. Perhaps the emergence of the shorter game and its different criteria for batsmen is adversely affecting our long term test skills.

Maybe dedicated "Test style" batting will become extinct anyway, as more tests reach a definative conclusion.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Maybe dedicated "Test style" batting will become extinct anyway, as more tests reach a definative conclusion.

As long as tests are played in England (& Wales) there is always a good chance that tests will not reach a definative conclusion. Unless England can come up with 5 world class test stadiuims with roofs to negate the inconsistant weather.

IMO there is alot to be admired for good old fashioned test batting, guys just don't value their wicket much these days. the high number of really soft dismissals with poor shot selection in this series is high
Whether this is a result of twenty cashy or just the sheer volume of cricket they play i can't say. but subconciously with the amount of cricket being played, it must feel like, hey there is always next week.... i can make up for it then.

The Katich and Ponting partnership in the 1st test & North and Clarke partnership paid testament to the value of a beautifully crafted and built partnership to a teams innings.

this is shaping up to be a climatic test series. 2-1 australia.  :beer2:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters

As long as tests are played in England (& Wales) there is always a good chance that tests will not reach a definative conclusion. Unless England can come up with 5 world class test stadiuims with roofs to negate the inconsistant weather.

IMO there is alot to be admired for good old fashioned test batting, guys just don't value their wicket much these days. the high number of really soft dismissals with poor shot selection in this series is high
Whether this is a result of twenty cashy or just the sheer volume of cricket they play i can't say. but subconciously with the amount of cricket being played, it must feel like, hey there is always next week.... i can make up for it then.

The Katich and Ponting partnership in the 1st test & North and Clarke partnership paid testament to the value of a beautifully crafted and built partnership to a teams innings.

this is shaping up to be a climatic test series. 2-1 australia.  :beer2:

The day they start putting roofs over English\Welsh cricket grounds or any other ground for that matter will be a sad day indeed - it will be the start of homogenised cricket and be the death of proper cricket. Part of the joy of cricket is the conditions and how you cope with them - be they cool and overcast conditions that favour swing bowling such as England and NZ or the dry arid conditions that favour spin such as those in India\Pakistan\Sri Lanka it is part of the experience.

The problem that you have with regard to test match batting these days is the "requirement" to score at an ever increased rate per over. Back in the good old days of Boycott batting I suspect that the average run rate was something like three an over - four an over is not uncommon these days in Test cricket and can almost be considered the norm but to attain this rate you have to take more risks when batting. With the increased risks of batting it encourages more attacking fielding positions which will concede more runs in the form of boundaries and the like but increases the chances of wickets as well or at least that is the theory. The world has moved on and it should be remembered that cricket is a form of entertainment in whatever form that it is played. How many people would pay to see Boyks make a century these days? Not many I would guess - they would much rather see a century made in the style of Flintoff or Gilchrist with the ball flying to all parts of the ground.

As for the result - Australia winning 2-1  :lol: - England to win 2-1 maybe...

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
i agree, the joy and challenge of test match cricket is battling not only the opposition but the weather conditions on offer.
which can make the mekest bowler quite challenging or turn a pitch into batsman's / bowler's nightmare

It also makes the beer taste that bit better. one in the sun is two in the pub! Maybe 4 if your in an Australian summer with 36+ degree temps...

The day they start putting roofs over English\Welsh cricket grounds or any other ground for that matter will be a sad day indeed - it will be the start of homogenised cricket and be the death of proper cricket. Part of the joy of cricket is the conditions and how you cope with them - be they cool and overcast conditions that favour swing bowling such as England and NZ or the dry arid conditions that favour spin such as those in India\Pakistan\Sri Lanka it is part of the experience.

which is why i really detest twenty 20.
If this is what people want, why don't they take a case of beers dress up in fancy dress and watch a game of T Ball.
it does take alot of the skill out of crcket IMO....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal