UKBouldering.com

Altura Trails - Whinlatter Forest, near Keswick (Read 9432 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I just wanted to let folks know how good these trails really are if you have not been!

The Red or North trail is superb, simply brilliant. The first section from the shop onwards is nice and quite tricky to break you in well. Then follows a lung busting (for me anyway!) slog that takes you a lot higher than you think. I stopped to admire the views and contemplate phoning the air amblance. It felt a lot like I was in a foreign country as it was stiffling heat and zero breeze, it was killer. Then follows some fairly sustained single track which eventually leads to the top. From here on it is well worth the uphill battle and the tired legs are soon forgotten! The first section of the descent is wicked, the canopy is tight over your head and it just flows. It's is superb and has a few sections where people can make room for the faster folks. It has a small section about 100 metres long that links two section a together which reminds you your legs are tired but then it fires straight back into the good stuff with some fantastic technical riding and some sweet jump sections. You end up popping out not far from where you began and can them head straight onto the south or blue route.

All in all, fucking ace.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Cool, will check these out next time I'm up that way with my bike, will make a nice change from Grisdale Forest.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Having been on both, I'm undecided as to which I prefer. I really like the sustained element of Grisdale, it's kinda relentless in some ways, no huge uphill sections and no real balls out downhill but very enjoyable with a great flow.

Whinlatter is kinda the opposite with a fight for the first section followed by a sublime downhill reward.

I need to do them both again soon!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
The way you describe whinlatter it sounds ace, just my kind of mtbing. Will have to check it out sometime. Not a big fan of grisdale myself, found it frustrating that the descents we too short and I never felt like I got much speed up. Only been the once (I did ride back up the road to repeat the final descent and still felt it was too slow), maybe my judgement is hasty but that's how it felt to me

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The way you describe whinlatter it sounds ace, just my kind of mtbing. Will have to check it out sometime. Not a big fan of grisdale myself, found it frustrating that the descents we too short and I never felt like I got much speed up. Only been the once (I did ride back up the road to repeat the final descent and still felt it was too slow), maybe my judgement is hasty but that's how it felt to me

The (relatively) new North Face trail is a bit more challenging and has some fun single-track sections that you can get a fair bit of speed up on (for me at least, but I'm not a great MTBer)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero

You'll love Whinlatter then if you like good downhill sections. I went over most obsticles but wimped out a few! It really is great, I can't emphasise enough.

I did however really like Grisdale as well. It is good for someone a bit unfit like me compared to Whinlatter as the first bit of the Red Trail is hard work. It was bloody hot and I had a mild hangover as well but still think I'll struggle when not rough. 

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
I'm a recent big fan of Whinlatter too, particularly the south loop.  Loved the final decent, much more flowing and satisfying than the one on the North.  Also, Hospital Ridge on the South, excellent.  But that final series of BIG berms, table tops, whooops and drops - oh yes, a lovely piece of work.  Reminds me a bit of Windy Ridge on Whites Level, Glycorrwyg - and that's high praise in my book....

jh

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Mrs Obi's family and various friends stay in the hamlet at the bottom of the hill every year. Last year only one loop was complete (but like the boys say, was ace!) so looking forward to going in a month to check out the new sections.  :thumbsup:

Fj

• menacing presence
Like grizedale the loops are short and its probably worth pointing out the longer Whinlatter north loop could be done in 30 minutes if you gunned it.
Very enjoyable though.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Me and a mate have been and done the South route today. I thought it was excellent and think it will be good to do straight after the North loop. Unfortunatly someone came off and was in a really bad way. The air ambulance was over head, hope they are ok as it looked to be a nasty head wound. I think if he hadn't been wearing a lid he'd be brown bread  :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Eeek, sounds nasty!

I fancy a visit - some XC mates went recently and really rated it.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Do it sir, it is top notch. I'm off there again tomorrow night for more punishment!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
We went in feb and only the north section was open, but really enjoyed it in spite of severe hangover/still a bit pissed. Definitely fancy another trip there.

Robl

• addict
  • A bit of an animal
Has to be the South loop for me, descent is way better  :devangel:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero

This is the North trail, sweeeeet.

cofe

• forum hero
did the north bit last year. thought it was pretty good. reminded me a bit of climachx near machynlleth - most of the climbing at the start, then the good stuff at the end. would be keen to do both halves now and see how they compare.

some of the singletrack up top, Grisedale pike in the background:

one of berms on final descent, north side:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Apparently a lot of the more technical/rooty sections of the Northern Red Trail have been flattened out  :'(

Real shame as it was great riding. On the plus side the Blue Trail has really bedded in nicely and is a nice ride.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Shame, there was on really nice tricky rooty section, I assume that's the bit that's been dug under?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal