UKBouldering.com

single track (Read 2770 times)

gingerninja

• menacing presence
single track
May 09, 2010, 10:37:29 am
hi, ive been riding a few of the routes in the dark and light peak books but most of them are pretty much wide bridleways and short rocky death descents at any speed.
can anyone recommend some nice long flowing singletrack in the peak?
thanks  :)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#1 Re: single track
May 09, 2010, 12:14:09 pm
not much in the peak really. only place I can think of is wharncliffe xc loop. think that's in the dark peak book. not as rocky as a lot of the peak, if I remember correctly. Found it not very pleasant when wet as the mud gets really slippy but when it's dry it good fun single track through the woods. maybe you've done it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: single track
May 09, 2010, 12:47:31 pm

There's shit-loads of great singletrack in the Peak, but a lot of it is on footpaths so is officially banned.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#3 Re: single track
May 09, 2010, 08:34:54 pm
Is that avatar picture taken when your riding the cheeky trails so you don't get noticed ?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: single track
May 09, 2010, 08:56:21 pm
:)

In busy areas of the Peak you can get away with riding a lot of things midweek, just steer clear at weekends when the crowds descend.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#5 Re: single track
May 09, 2010, 09:58:11 pm
I Live in Rowsley so have a fair selection of legal trails on my doorstep, but occasionally I feel the need to explore a new trail or too, as you say though weekends are normally out of bounds except after  five when the punters have gone home for tea.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#6 Re: single track
May 10, 2010, 09:34:33 am
i was thinking about poaching some footpaths but not really going to do mtb bikers rep any good.
its funny when you think about it, there is nothing bike specific in the peak at all. its more of a case of here ride this boring rocky track, oh and watch out for horses, 4x4's, motor bikes and walkers.
we need a trail centre in the peak with some proper single track bike trails like glen tress or afan.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: single track
May 10, 2010, 01:55:25 pm

It doesn't really matter about the reputation of bikers, we're banned throughout the Peak anyway. What could get worse?

There will never be a Peak trail centre, it just won't happen.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#8 Re: single track
May 10, 2010, 03:13:01 pm

It doesn't really matter about the reputation of bikers, we're banned throughout the Peak anyway. What could get worse?

There will never be a Peak trail centre, it just won't happen.

Tend to agree with Bubba, no chance of a trail centre in the Peak for the foreseeable future.  However, I've been riding lots of naughty trails over the last couple of years, and by the simple expedient of stopping if i see walkers, chatting to them and generally not being a feckin' menace, I've managed to get away with virtually no irate ramblers and no lectures.   :ang:  It'll take a long time to change attitudes completely, but it's worth a try......  :shrug:

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#9 Re: single track
May 10, 2010, 03:50:59 pm
polite i can do, so ill be doing some mid week poaching i think, well when its stopped raining. any recommendations for where to find some good flowing downhills?
cheers, dom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal