UKBouldering.com

Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia (Read 120946 times)

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#125 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 03, 2009, 10:28:42 am
The Mrs has just got a HTC Hero. First impressions are good, it's touchflow is pretty simlar to my iPhone and it is a neater unit with a better camera to boot.

Just got one of these yesterday, and it seems pretty fly. Has your Missus has a problem receiving SMS at all? Alot of people on the forums are having a problem with this apparently.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#126 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 03, 2009, 10:57:47 am
Good choice there, it's a wicked phone.

No problems so far, have you checked your message centre number to make sure it's correct? You got it on Orange?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#127 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 03, 2009, 11:19:01 am
Yeah, it's on Orange. Mine seems to be working fine, just seemed to be a few people whinging about it. Just interested. Awesome machine tho, downloading apps is a cinch, even for me.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#128 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 03, 2009, 12:17:52 pm
Anyone got any knowlege on the merits of the HTC Hero/G2 vs Nokia's n900? 

From the specs then the two seem pretty similar with the Nokia looking to have the edge with a better screen, better camera, processor and more RAM plus 32GB internal storage.

http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/compare-mobile-phones/nokia-n900-t-mobile-g2-touch-4041_3934

I'd decided to leave nokia this time round, but the new linux based OS (not s60) seems like it could be a massive improvement... 

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#129 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 03, 2009, 12:30:03 pm
This review of the n900 isn't as positive as it could be.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/09/02/nokia_n900_maemo5/

I get the feeling it's saying it's a good start by Nokia, but there will be better along shortly.  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#130 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 05, 2009, 01:02:00 pm
Decent flash to come to mobile devices (no look-in for Apple fanboys though tomtom)

tomtom

• forum hero
#131 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 05, 2009, 02:03:11 pm
Decent flash to come to mobile devices (no look-in for Apple fanboys though tomtom)

Yup - ho hum... btw, is there a version of RedLaser for non-iphones..? if so get it, its fantastic!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#132 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 05, 2009, 02:08:24 pm

Yup - ho hum... btw, is there a version of RedLaser for non-iphones..? if so get it, its fantastic!

My N95 has a built in app that reads barcodes (1 and 2-dimensional), but I've not seen anything that integrates the reading with searching for prices yet and a cursory search doesn't turn up a RedLaser version for Symbian.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#133 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 05, 2009, 02:41:28 pm
Ok techno geeks  (btw geek in my book is a complement).

I've just got myself a i9 3G. I really got it just for it's true dual sim ability (3 phones is getting a bit silly, at least I have now cut it down to 2 )

Has anyone had a go at getting web and e-mail working on one? I would be fine with not getting it working, but you know once you know you might be able to do something, it drives you crazy if you can't get it working  :'(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#134 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 05, 2009, 02:50:44 pm
Ok techno geeks  (btw geek in my book is a complement).

;D I take pride in being a geek

I've just got myself a i9 3G. I really got it just for it's true dual sim ability (3 phones is getting a bit silly, at least I have now cut it down to 2 )

Has anyone had a go at getting web and e-mail working on one? I would be fine with not getting it working, but you know once you know you might be able to do something, it drives you crazy if you can't get it working  :'(

Not even heard of these I'm afraid (Googling suggests its from Ciphone, again a company I've not even heard of, but that means nothing more than I'm a little ignorant, are they unbranded clones of apples iphones as this suggests).  In light of that I've no idea how to get it going I'm afraid.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#135 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 05, 2009, 08:40:44 pm

My N95 has a built in app that reads barcodes (1 and 2-dimensional), but I've not seen anything that integrates the reading with searching for prices yet and a cursory search doesn't turn up a RedLaser version for Symbian.

There is a few apps on the Android market place that claim to do this, haven't tried them though.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#136 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 22, 2009, 09:55:54 am
the missus got the palm pre yesterday

got to say it was very nice, sleek and rounded - unlike my clumpy n97...whould have waited

even the qwerty keypad wasn't that bad...if my fingers were any fatter i may have had problems

only thing is no touchstone wireless charging that they marketed the pre on. that costs an extra £50 or so.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#137 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 23, 2009, 12:56:05 am
Palm Pre's sound interesting.

Nokia sue Apple over iPhone patent infringement  :lol:

cofe

• forum hero
#138 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 23, 2009, 08:58:10 am
i guess nokia have to make their money somehow   ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#139 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
October 23, 2009, 10:24:05 am
i guess nokia have to make their money somehow   ;)
:lol:

"Right boys we've not made any money this quarter, how can we claw some back?"

"I know lets sue Apple for patent infringement"

:bow:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#140 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 03:57:57 pm
Another smartphone due to hit the market next month.  The Acer Liquid A1, comes with Android on so will be up against the HTC Hero (I'm currently vying towards when my contract is up in the new year).

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#141 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 04:08:09 pm
Has anyone heard when Android 2.0 is out? Cant wait to get my hands on Google's new sat nav app, but it'll only work with 2.0. I can't believe I-phone users have paid 60 fuck all's for Tom Tom.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#142 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 04:14:25 pm
It's out already....  http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

Just got to wait for it to make its way to devices.  I think the new Droid has it on and is already on sale, HTC are bringing it to the Hero and are currently updating Sense UI to work with it.  http://twitter.com/htc/status/5243593307

Not sure about the other existing phones like the G1, some may not have the memory required to run it from what I've read.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:19:28 pm by useless punter »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#143 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 04:22:16 pm
Has anyone heard when Android 2.0 is out?

When its ready I expect.  There's lots of noise but your best bet is to just keep your eye on the official blog

Cant wait to get my hands on Google's new sat nav app, but it'll only work with 2.0. I can't believe I-phone users have paid 60 fuck all's for Tom Tom.

Not just iPhone users, but anyone who's bought a SatNav device!  Just look at how the share-prices in TomTom dropped on the 30th October when Google announced their SatNav app.  Ditto for Garmin.

Can't believe my wife paid a few hundred quid for hers a few years back, at least she got some use out of it before it was made redundant, although given how shite the companies are at updating maps in light of road works/changes in lay outs (e.g. several years before Sheffield maps would be updated after the new shit ring-road extra standing space for cars at rush hour).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#144 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 04:39:08 pm
Does Google's SatNav thingy work in the UK?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#145 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 04:43:52 pm
worth keeping your eyes on this thread/forum cos I think it will appear on there first
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=585181

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#146 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 05:03:26 pm
Not just iPhone users, but anyone who's bought a SatNav device!
Not for me - I need a widescreen Satnav, something phone sized isn't much use.

And how quick will Google be with road layout changes? How much data bandwidth will the app use? Pushing the latest maps to your phone is going to use some data. Does it actually work that well? All I've seen is one video, and one independent review which says it's not as good as the best dedicated systems...

Lots of unknowns before writing off TomTom just yet :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#147 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 05:18:40 pm
Has anyone heard when Android 2.0 is out? Cant wait to get my hands on Google's new sat nav app, but it'll only work with 2.0. I can't believe I-phone users have paid 60 fuck all's for Tom Tom.

I baulked at 60 sheets, but spent £25 on copilot in the Ifern... The google app wont work (I dont think) where there is no coverage (unless they allow cache-ing of maps) so it can still be more reliable to have something thats off net so to speak. £60 is way too much, but probably £10-20 is reasonable for effectively buying the map data. Of course the europe version would be very useful to stop you having to pay roaming rates....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#148 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 06:17:16 pm
Not for me - I need a widescreen Satnav, something phone sized isn't much use.

Is that for your wide-load?

And how quick will Google be with road layout changes? How much data bandwidth will the app use? Pushing the latest maps to your phone is going to use some data. Does it actually work that well? All I've seen is one video, and one independent review which says it's not as good as the best dedicated systems...

Lots of unknowns before writing off TomTom just yet :)

All fair and true points.  Some speculation in this that maps will be cached.

Road layout wise it sounds as though it will be more up-to-date than TomTom et al with the above article purporting to have live traffic information pushed through.  I can't envisage it being any worse than current SatNav.

Personally I've just been using GoogleMaps to plan a route at home for some time now.  If I want to see close-ups of the map then I'll zoom to desired level of detail and follow the route on the map so the route is cached.  Admittedly not ideal if you find yourself in the arse end of nowhere with no signal whatsoever, but its not bad for free. (I also keep a road map handy too!).

Fj

• menacing presence
#149 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
November 17, 2009, 11:31:52 pm
I got horribly lost in mid wales in the middle of the night, due to my trust in google maps. Without reception, you wont have maps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal