UKBouldering.com

Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia (Read 120563 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#100 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 30, 2009, 08:24:33 pm
Quick heads up.

Just found out you can buy an HTC Touch HD from your local Orange shop for £100 plus a top up. That is seriously cheap.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#101 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 31, 2009, 04:30:33 pm
Soudns like a bargain there Golt!

Stuck this in the future of mobile computing thread, but just as relevant here (the gap is closing!)

Officially announced a few days ago.

I like Nokia phones + I love GNU/Linux == N900 for me :D

Video makes it look well "smart"  :bounce:  Think I'll be looking to get one of these when my contracts up later in the year  :bounce:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#102 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 31, 2009, 10:00:01 pm
well impressive..

and that's from an iphone devotee..

Apple have 6 months to keep their user base IMO... the pack has closed..

tomtom

• forum hero
#103 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 01, 2009, 12:53:51 pm
well impressive..

and that's from an iphone devotee..

Apple have 6 months to keep their user base IMO... the pack has closed..

Was thinking the other day - if you spend much/any money on apps for the Iphone - that will tend to tie you to the product when it comes to upgrades.. esp the expensive apps like TomTom etc.. I had one of the first 3g iphones, so will be looking to upgrade in a few months - so am in this quandry of wait for the new one (that will probably come next spring) or the rather limp step up of a 3gs...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#104 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 01, 2009, 05:36:58 pm
you got the tom tom app?

reviews are very mixed... dunno whether to get it  :shrug:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#105 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 01, 2009, 05:47:48 pm
you got the tom tom app?

Seriously don't bother - just buy a satnav instead.

It'll probably be cheaper and will work better. I tried both Tomtom and Garmin on my N95. They both worked but are nowhere near as good as a cheap dedicated Tomtom unit. A dedicated unit will work much quicker and has a much better screen for the job.

tomtom

• forum hero
#106 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 01, 2009, 06:01:06 pm
you got the tom tom app?

Naa, £60 would be OK ish for the Europe version but too steep for UK. Apparently there was a deal where CLinton cards were selling £15 Itunes vouchers for £10 (now gone) and a few people thus got it for £40...

For nav I find the maps app fine  - used to reading maps so don't find I need anyone telling me to turn right, left etc... Incidentally have you tried the streetview in the maps app - not obvious (icon on left of pin location) but is really good on the iphone..

I think there are troubles with some of the Iphone satnav apps where you have to re-enter the journey again if you get a call mid navigation - which is crap really...

The main bonus of having it in your phone though is less things to carry (good) and if they include live updates/traffic shizzle in it (which they dont yet..). May be tempted if the next version of it irons out some of those bugs...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#107 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 01, 2009, 09:37:53 pm
tomtom on my touch diamond is great.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#108 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 01, 2009, 10:11:33 pm
[quote author=tomtom link=topic=12028.msg216944#msg216944 etc... Incidentally have you tried the streetview in the maps app - not obvious (icon on left of pin location) but is really good on the iphone..
[/quote]

I have now...   :thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
#110 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 06, 2009, 04:57:20 pm
you got the tom tom app?

Naa, £60 would be OK ish for the Europe version but too steep for UK. Apparently there was a deal where CLinton cards were selling £15 Itunes vouchers for £10 (now gone) and a few people thus got it for £40...

For nav I find the maps app fine  - used to reading maps so don't find I need anyone telling me to turn right, left etc... Incidentally have you tried the streetview in the maps app - not obvious (icon on left of pin location) but is really good on the iphone..

I think there are troubles with some of the Iphone satnav apps where you have to re-enter the journey again if you get a call mid navigation - which is crap really...

The main bonus of having it in your phone though is less things to carry (good) and if they include live updates/traffic shizzle in it (which they dont yet..). May be tempted if the next version of it irons out some of those bugs...

Fatdoc - an update... I shelled out for the co-pilot satnave app for the Ihpone - as it was £26 instead of £60... Only been using it for a day, but seems really good. Works fine - a little bit squiffy with the gps signal, but I have it mounted down near the gearstick in the car, so not the best reception. Good bit of software though, has large screen buttons - no tippy tapping on tiny icons which is a + in the car.

Though - have also noticed that the maps app on the iphone now colours the motorways if there is a blockage etc.,. orange for slow and red for closed (I only found this out whilst sat stuck on a closed bit of motorway on friday
T

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#111 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 06, 2009, 06:13:31 pm
I bought the TomTom Iphone app without really thinking, and later found that you can't add custom POIs like you can with a standalone unit. As I want it for finding courts in strange towns it's basically useless to me without this function.  :thumbsdown:

have also noticed that the maps app on the iphone now colours the motorways if there is a blockage etc.,. orange for slow and red for closed

I've found this function to be suprisingly accurate.

tomtom

• forum hero
#112 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 06, 2009, 06:44:13 pm
Ru, as a work around, could you add the courts addresses as individual contacts, then get the TomTom to just navigate to that contact?

Also - is it worth starting an Iphone thread in the IT section? :shrug:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#113 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 07, 2009, 10:48:37 pm
cheers.

I'll wait.

Looks a stand alone tom tom is best suited to purpose..

benpritch

• forum abuser
#114 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 08, 2009, 07:47:08 am
i'm very happy with tomtom on my iphone. when hands free kit with gps boost and hands free calling comes out it will be perfect. having all devices in one outweighs any disadvantages imo

cofe

• forum hero
#115 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 21, 2009, 01:15:19 pm

tomtom

• forum hero
#116 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 21, 2009, 05:33:12 pm
Quality  ;D

galpinos

• forum hero
#117 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 22, 2009, 08:01:21 am

I've read the reviews but any personal knowledge on the N97?

cofe

• forum hero
#118 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 26, 2009, 09:03:08 pm

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#119 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 26, 2009, 09:20:41 pm
a good enough reason not to buy one IMO

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#120 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 28, 2009, 10:01:52 am
For Jobs Fanboys Orange announce iPhone deal

(Any chance this thread could be moved to Computers, technology and t'internet which is where I first looked for it as it falls under that remit more than shooting the shit).

dave

#121 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 28, 2009, 10:29:32 am
slightly off topic, but genius article.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#122 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 28, 2009, 10:36:09 am
slightly off topic, but genius article.

:lol:

Quote from: Charlie Brooker
write something on a Sony Vaio PC laptop which seemed to be running a special slow-motion edition of Windows Vista specifically designed to infuriate human beings as much as possible. Trying to get it to do anything was like issuing instructions to a depressed employee over a sluggish satellite feed. When I clicked on an application it spent a small eternity contemplating the philosophical implications of opening it, begrudgingly complying with my request several months later. It drove me up the wall. I called it a bastard and worse. At one point I punched a table.

Quote from: Charlie Brooker
I know Windows is awful. Everyone knows Windows is awful. Windows is like the faint smell of piss in a subway: it's there, and there's nothing you can do about it. OK, OK: I know other operating systems are available. But their advocates seem even creepier, snootier and more insistent than Mac owners.

:lol:

I'm not usually a fan of Brooker's vitriol but that is very good.

Fj

• menacing presence
#123 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 28, 2009, 11:45:47 am
back to Tomtom, I've had the phone app for an HP smartphone and now an ASUS p750 and its worked well, other than killing the battery in about 4 hours.
I read somewhere there are next generation GPS chips coming out soon which will drain 50 times less power so should be ideal for mobiles.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#124 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
September 29, 2009, 09:10:25 pm
thats pretty good seeing as a stand only tomtom unit only does about 4 hours anyway.
No idea how long mine goes for because its always plugged in to the docking station in my car and charging

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal