UKBouldering.com

Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia (Read 119680 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#50 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 08:54:57 am
what's with all these bloody 18/24 month contracts?

I wish I knew. I really don't feel comfortable owning the same phone for longer than 12months. Most phones seem to have a peformance shelf life of around 12 months (In the case of my C902 about 6 months)which means 6 months of crap performance/sending it back for fixing.

The main problem I have with the Iphone is that everyone seems to have one. Obviously this means they're good but just too common.

UK market is saturated, so the networks want to hang on to everyone for as long as possible. I dislike the 18month thing, but its become the standard. The best way would be no contract subsidised handsets... but that would mean people hopping networks...

If an Iphone tempts you but cost/network/contract are sticking points - it may be worth waiting a few months as the word on the street is that O2 are going to loose their exclusivity contract soon.. other networks = competition...?

T

[/quote]

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#51 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 02:06:33 pm
I'm not keen on an iPhone just because of the poor camera and Apple's highly restrictive app store policy. I'm not really an Apple lover at all. I've used OS X but prefer XP, I've got an iPod but think the apple firmware is shit so replaced it with open source, I think iTunes is appalling, etc. I also want to be able to run whatever software I like on my phone, not just what Apple thinks is good enough for me.

The N97 I like the look of and have had Symbian Nokias in the past but these have often been veeerrrrrryyy slllllloooww. Have they improved this? Also the fold out keyboard however smart is a working part ready for breaking.
I think the keyboard is meant to be ok but I think you'll hate the N97 for it's performance - a lot of reviews are saying it's under-powered for what it wants to be.

Anyone played with a HTC phone?
They get great reviews and look really smart but never used one.

My current potential next phone is the Samsung i8910 Omnia HD - runs Symbian, is powerful, has the best screen around with the bonus of an 8mp cam & HD video recording.

dave

#52 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 02:17:15 pm
have a look at the nokia 5800 bubbs, i just got one for fuck all, seems ok.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#53 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 02:44:09 pm

I think the N97 is based on the 5800 - looks like a bargain though, would work out at £5 p/m less than the top of the range phones.

G KF900 Prada is meant to be good too, and looks lovely. Decisions decisions....

tomtom

• forum hero
#54 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 06:43:22 pm
I'm not keen on an iPhone just because of the poor camera and Apple's highly restrictive app store policy. I'm not really an Apple lover at all. I've used OS X but prefer XP, I've got an iPod but think the apple firmware is shit so replaced it with open source, I think iTunes is appalling, etc. I also want to be able to run whatever software I like on my phone, not just what Apple thinks is good enough for me.

I disliked all Apple stuff prior to getting an Iphone - but have not found the apps store at all restricting. OK, things have to be apple vetted (which I dont like - e.g. the tethering issue), but despite that theres oodles more apps there than for any other phone - and I find them really useful.

My latest fave one is meteo that gives me rain radar with only a 15 min delay.. (and stats for wind/rain fallen for anywhere in the country) great for seeing if the crag is going to be wet or not. A push twitter app, so I get a text noise when a new reply comes in.. On friday I got an ECB app that gives live test updates - score cards and stats - great! Before going on hols I downloaded a rough guide type thing and a learn spanish app (for the plane).. theres just loads of stuff out there....

Itunes - yes thats a piece of shit software that clogs up my PC and I have to go into the registry to uninstall all its auto start up crap each time it updates... but I bought the phone as a phone and PDA thing, and a good MP3 player on top of that is great.

:shrug:

Its swings and roundabouts I guess....

cofe

• forum hero
#55 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 07:01:16 pm
i can't believe people have issues with apple stuff. it just works.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#56 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 08:51:07 pm
yeah.

that's what i wanted, that's what I got. You pay more, you get more IMO. less hastle, it works, sweet.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#57 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 09:32:06 pm
My HTC diamond is great, but only get a windows mobile device if you like messing about phones and use all of its capabilities, its not that great as a mainly phone/texting device and the camera is only 3.2mp.
If you want a good phone/texter camera smart phone then something like the N86 would be great, similar to the SE W995 only better and able to put 3rd party apps on.
The O2 Zest made by asus is supposed to be a great windows mobile phone and pretty cheap on PAYG.
I've never got the hang of mini qwerty keyboards and I think its much faster to type on phone keypad with decent predictive text, touch screen keypads are slow and a bit of a pain TBH.
The palm pre looked a bit shit, I think the next generation of HTC android or when win mobile 7 comes out will be a force to be reconed with smart phone wise
Apple sux
Quote from: Dopefield
You obviously never had a 1st or 2nd gen iPhone

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#58 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 04, 2009, 09:40:50 pm
I have an original 3g, 16 gb.

works fine.

agree on the fundamental point of the thread... get the type of phone that is best suited to you  - dont buy into  something for 24 months unless you need the functions it offers. whether the functions are then easy to use is the basis of the symbian / MS / apple debate..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#59 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 08:30:51 am
that's what i wanted, that's what I got. You pay more, you get more IMO. less hastle, it works, sweet.
In the case of the iPhone, you pay the same but you get less. You can buy into the Apple hype if you like but for same price there are far superior handsets.

It works if you're happy to just accept how Apple want you to do things. I'm not sold on Apple at all - it's all marketing and good looks (at a ripoff price) over functionality. Nothing I've used from Apple has wowed me at all.

[OK, things have to be apple vetted (which I dont like - e.g. the tethering issue)
That's the issue I have with them - if Microsoft only allowed applications that they vet to run on Windows then there would be a furore but because the iPhone is seen as desirable and trendy people blindly accept such a shitty policy. Apple will not allow apps that "duplicate the functionality" (ie compete with their own apps) of other apps on the App Store.

It sucks big style and I wouldn't spend money with such a company.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#60 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 08:44:59 am
Apple will not allow apps that "duplicate the functionality" (ie compete with their own apps) of other apps on the App Store.

Hence the lack of flash support on the iPhone.  Good summary here: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/11/adobe-flash-on/.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#61 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 08:47:18 am
I've got to say I disagree with almost all of that Bubba. Sure you pay more for an iPhone, and get fewer features. The hype is right though - there isn't a feature I don't use on mine. I feel happy writing email, and browsing the web on it; I can't say the same for my sisters vast litany of windows mobile-based phones, which have all been PITA.

By the same token, though I can understand why you object to the "locked down" nature of apple devices and the app store, it does lead to a smooth user experience for the end user. Can you guess how much time I've spent troubleshooting device driver failures on my MacBook? 0 hours of course. I wish I could say the same for my wife's laptop.

And whilst the app store policy is bad in principle, in practice no other phone has
many high quality third party applications easily available.

It's one thing not to like apples closed policies, but they are very effective in producing the kind of user experience that many people want. Not for everyone, for sure; if you enjoy 'tinkering' with your gadgets, apple products are deeply unsatisfying.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#62 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 09:09:23 am
For me there's also a work vs play angle.  I use windows and a Blackberry for work, sometimes sat at a PC for several hours when I have report to write or numbers to crunch and the Blackberry is pinging me emails day (and night).  I coughed up for a mac a while ago so I could sit down and do the fun stuff, photo's, music, web etc. on a machine and applications completely different from the work environment.  It all works too, pretty flawlessly, all of the time. I'm fully aware of the limitations and the agressive policy that Apple have regarding their IP but I don't really give a toot because they are pretty good at delivering and exceeding the expectations of what I want as a customer.   I can't think of a single product that I've bought from Apple or one of their approved partners that I haven't just plugged in or installed and it's worked first time. That and the fact fact the hardware is really well designed for comfort and ease of use make Apple an easy choice.   

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#63 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 09:17:11 am
All that said mindyou, it's horses for courses though and I agree with what Bubbs is saying about not getting seduced by features.   The Blackberry is perfect for work and the iPhone is great for play.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#64 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 09:21:08 am
Yeah, I guess I just like tinkering....

...but anyway, for all you Apple fanboys, I bet you all think this guy's a winner  ;)  :kiss2:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#65 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 09:36:08 am
I can't think of a single product that I've bought from Apple or one of their approved partners that I haven't just plugged in or installed and it's worked first time.

Where's the fun in that?  :shrug:  :P

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#66 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 10:02:52 am
 :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#67 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 10:32:53 am
I can't think of a single product that I've bought from Apple or one of their approved partners that I haven't just plugged in or installed and it's worked first time.

Where's the fun in that?  :shrug:  :P

exactly, the nidus of the conversation distilled.

BTW, Stu, great post.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#68 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 10:45:14 am
I can't say the same for my sisters vast litany of windows mobile-based phones, which have all been PITA.

Thats cause its M$-wank  :P

P.S. - Nice to meet you last night.

tomtom

• forum hero
#69 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 11:44:13 am

Bloody Canadians... still some interesting apps he's got loaded up there  ;)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#70 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 05, 2009, 11:46:17 am
P.S. - Nice to meet you last night.

Likewise.
Bubba - loving the iPhone costume. Can you get them in white?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#71 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 07, 2009, 02:03:20 pm

Gone for the Samsung Omnia i9810 HD - what a beautiful thing it is too. Technically the best handset around atm, just need to find the latest unbranded firmware to get rid of all the Orange crap on it.

One thing worth noting: the Orange Shop wanted to charge me £293 for it on an 18 month contract but Carphone Warehouse did it for free on a 24 month (£50 on 18m). So avoid the Orange shop if you don't want to get skanked.

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#72 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 09, 2009, 09:38:20 am
Are Apple still giving out the discount cards for Gap with Iphones? Only on certain items like orange flip flops, combat trousers (34+ waist only) and a tosser t shirt???

If you filled in the warranty card you also used to get sent a personalised email saying what extra steps you need to take to become a full ICunt

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#73 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 09, 2009, 10:39:51 am
The Mrs has just got a HTC Hero. First impressions are good, it's touchflow is pretty simlar to my iPhone and it is a neater unit with a better camera to boot.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#74 Re: Blackberry Vs. I Phone Vs. Nokia
August 10, 2009, 03:13:46 pm
Any opinions on the Nokia E71? I know it's getting on a bit now but I can get it for free on Three/£20 a month inc unlimited internet+texts, 200 mins etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal