UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358252 times)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
off to the depot tonight then will listen to local radio on the way home as they are doing a feature on town.

England I really dont gvie a shit (anymore)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Just realised it's on ITV as well. Torture, but generally made bearable by Roy Keane looking like he wants to rip Chiles' face off.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Watching those highlights put a big smile on my face. i was in Munich that day, well Munich airport flying back from a Jura trip. Made it to the pub and after 6 minutes was thinking 'here we go again'.

Wadded for drawing my attention to the highlights.

I have 11 months to work out how to get lots of 1-5 mentions into the webcast for next years Bouldering World Champs that is being held in the Olympic Stadium in Munich  :-\

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Maybe I'm just getting old but, THIS!

I'll probably still watch it though and unlike when McLaren was in charge I do actually want us to qualify, but it's not the same....

Good link, it appeals to our age group I suppose.  The classic Euro '96 tournament was played when I was getting married.  The German team were staying at Mottram Hall where we had our wedding reception (a few UKB'ers present) and I've got a photo of me and my (soon to be ex) wife with Klinsmann, Beckenbauer, Bertie Vogts etc. in our wedding gear from that afternoon.  Later that evening, two mates of mine got it together for the first time and they went down to the kitchens for a cuddle where they found all the German kit waiting to be washed.  Bernie insisted she put on Klinsmann's used kit and then he shagged her in it.  Later on after it was washed, another mate got up early find he was staying on the same wing as ze German's with all their kit hanging nice and clean on the doors of the hotel.  He nicked Kilnnsmans and it's now framed on his wall at home (they went on to win the tournament).

The next day we all had a big barbeque at my Mum and Dad's and watched that amazing England Scotland game when Gazza chipped Colin Hendry whilst the IRA blew up half of Manchester.  That night, the new wife and I stayed at the Belfry nr the airport where we met all the Danish team and had more photos with them and then watched the rest of the tournament from Jamaica on our Honeymoon baked on very strong grass bought from the chef at the resort.

England qualifiers don't seem to have the same magic these days....

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
(I've not exaggerated any of this BTW, it's all totally true as GME will attest)

tomtom

• forum hero
#4930 Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
October 15, 2013, 08:06:39 pm

Just realised it's on ITV as well. Torture, but generally made bearable by Roy Keane looking like he wants to rip Chiles' face off.

I'm quite a fan of the Keane beard. There's an element of Cantona about it.

I was in leeds during Euro96 and Spain were the big side there. Lots of Spanish fans about, good atmosphere and amazing games (watched on the telly).

Engerlaaand just seem like some sort of horrible corporate monolith run by faceless suits. No charisma, too much media management..

Great tales though FD.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Well it actually turned out to be a decent game and despite the usual scares a deserved win.

Now bring on the "we're going to win it" hype......

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I suspect that was a really enjoyable game for the neutral, though I personally found it a bit too close for comfort.  If that's how open we are with two holding mid-fielders, I dread to think what might happen if we decide to go for it! 

Still, already looking forward to the World Cup and the usual routine.  Terrible games in the group stages to creep into the quarters / first knock-out round.  Then putting in our one good performance against the first "top 10" team we play, only to get eliminated in semi-unfair / tragic circumstances leaving only a sense of aggrieved pride and lots of redundant plastic flags.  My bet is on being made to play in 40deg heat in the middle of the afternoon, against a team with one more day's rest that have been based in that venue and acclimatized, having a goal disallowed and a player sent off and going out on penalties.  The penalty likely missed by late surprise call-up Ravel Morrison.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4933 Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
October 16, 2013, 09:15:47 am
I think it might have been a good game - except my memories of it were blurred by MrsTT wanting to start a 'conversation' during  the first half (monosybalic answers) - followed by the 'why dont we talk - its always because the TV is on' type debate in the second.

Still, from what I saw it looked like a good game - like an EPL cup tie in many ways. Great. Glad to see Woy told em to go for it... mind you - if one or two of the Polish chances had dropped in early it might have been a very different story. Poor bugger (Woy) - I'd rather be Alex Fergussons chewing gum picker upper than England Manager..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
It was a good game.. First one I've enjoyed for a long time (or that could be because it's the first one I've watched for a long time).  Pleased for Gerrard, particularly as he might not feature heavily in Brazil.  Glad to see Milner's presence leading to the second goal too.  In spite of his critics, he's a stalwart for Man City and proud to weather the shirt for club and country.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree:

Not sure why Milner gets so much stick. He's willing to do the necessary despite knowing that most people wont appreciate it. And he's not usually played in his best position.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
it's all totally true as GME will attest

I'm hoping it was him who "got it together" and now you've spilled the beans.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Off the bottom of the fantasy football league at last!

If I'd not missed the first three weeks this would probably be my best season ever.

However, as my aim was just to beat TomTom I suppose it's going ok....

tomtom

• forum hero
Off the bottom of the fantasy football league at last!

If I'd not missed the first three weeks this would probably be my best season ever.

However, as my aim was just to beat TomTom I suppose it's going ok....

Dense has hacked my FF account ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4940 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 08, 2013, 09:33:29 pm
I've neglected my substitutions and transfers for the last four weeks as I keep on sleeping in on a Saturday and missing the deadline.  Made some tonight.  Should be a great weekend in the prem after a very entertaining week in the Champo's League.  City were magnificent against CSKA and Arsenal played a blinder.  As for Man U....

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4944 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 01, 2013, 09:29:33 am
For those of you who many not have noticed - the Hull City owner wants to drop the 'City' from the name - and ultimately re-brand the club as Hull Tigers. A bit daft in my view - not really necessary - but the bloke has put £65m into the club so he should be cut some slack.

However - responding to peaceful and well organised demonstrations it appears he really is a complete arsehole!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/dr-assem-allam-i-dont-mind-them-singing-city-till-we-die-they-can-die-as-soon-as-they-want-8975199.html

Wish I was there today..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4945 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2013, 10:31:44 pm
We were talking about Milner on here a few weeks back... What a game for him tonight.  A total trooper.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#4946 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 16, 2013, 11:32:22 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25397167

The Scum are on the way down!!

Edit - I like AVB, I blame the footballing director for spending 100 million on mercenaries.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4947 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 16, 2013, 07:30:38 pm
As I mentioned to FD on Twitter I think Spurs biggest problem has nothing to do with AVB and everything to do with having ideas above their station.

A half decent start to the season and suddenly they were going to win the league. This put far too much pressure on him at a time when they really should have been looking to bed in a completely new team and adjust to the fact that they'd lost the player who'd carried them for ages.

Just like at Chelsea (but for different reasons) he never stood a chance.

petejh

• forum hero
#4948 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 16, 2013, 11:27:43 pm
AVB looked like a rabbit in the headlights when things were going badly this season and at Chelsea, I can see why owners/directors lose confidence in him. I suppose a comparison is Moyes at United but Moyes gives the appearance at least of being made of sterner stuff.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#4949 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 17, 2013, 09:03:20 am
 It's obvious isn't it? Steve Clarke to Spurs and AVB to WBA... The initialed one needs an initialed club!

The merry go round has started already and its not even Christmas.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal