UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357856 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
What pizza did he order in the end? ;)

<bah humbug>
Just being cynical.. sounds like a class (though risky) act.. I loved the whole transfer shennanigans when we were in the EPL.. though it did get really fraught.. kind of dis-interested now we're a steady Eddy, enough but not much money mid table outfit... must be good for Foxes fans too ATM...
</bah humbug>

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
So Scotty Parker has gone to Spurs then...sad to see him go, has been brilliant for us but I'm assuming The Hammers need the 6 million fuck alls...

Just noticed we've got Baba Diop (amusingly nicknamed "The Wardrobe" apparently!) and some Arsenal Midfielder I'd never heard of called Henri Lansbury on loan.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
What pizza did he order in the end? ;)

<bah humbug>
Just being cynical.. sounds like a class (though risky) act.. I loved the whole transfer shennanigans when we were in the EPL.. though it did get really fraught.. kind of dis-interested now we're a steady Eddy, enough but not much money mid table outfit... must be good for Foxes fans too ATM...
</bah humbug>

Apparently Vicente had pasta.  :)

Best thing is he's been released by Valencia so it's on a free. No idea what we're supposed to be paying him though. The thing is, this is Brighton! We were near the bottom of League 1 a season and a bit ago (and thankful to sign a player from Stockport for £200k) while Vicente was keeping Mata (£23.5m) out of the Valencia side. 

:blink:

Leicester's spending is phenomenal.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Just noticed we've got Baba Diop (amusingly nicknamed "The Wardrobe" apparently!) and some Arsenal Midfielder I'd never heard of called Henri Lansbury on loan.

Those are two great signings. Lansbury was at Norwich last season, apparently we were interested in getting him on loan before we signed Buckley / Lua Lua etc. He's a class act and only young. Have a google.

EDIT - You've signed David Bentley too. Season long loan.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:16:18 pm by Jaspersharpe »

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Just got two tickets and day trip charter flight  for City away at Bayern.   :bounce: :icon_beerchug:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
After reading that Gyan wanted to leave, I didn't think it could get worse.....

Then I find out we've signed Nicky Bender. Shoot me now.  :(

philo

• forum hero
#3206 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 02:48:20 am
at least we have got rid of paying the wages on useless twat ferdinand.
Still glad we didn't sign crouch though, that would have been worse

Dr T

• forum hero
#3207 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 07:35:31 am
Then I find out we've signed Nicky Bender. Shoot me now.  :(

Finally some Gooner joy  :clap2: :2thumbsup: :wave: :beer2: :dance1: :great:

Oh and we actually signed a couple of decent players too, sure Arteta is no Cecs but atleast he doesn't suffer from cold damp Saturday evening sulkiness like Nasri...

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3208 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 07:42:18 am
really at least crouch understands that the goal in the thing with metal posts not between the posts and the corner flags?

:shrug:

Nice to see Huddersfield's old friend Mr J Beckford's spat in the premier league came to nothing now moved on to championship after one season. I guess its a profit for everton though as he went on a free to them.

After a few days being link with everyone did brighton get a striker Jasper? If you got Benik it would be a great signing glad the rumours of Jordan Rhodes going were false. The loan market opens next week so you may get him then.

Although in Arsenals benefit they got mikel arteta for a steal at £10m I would of expected double for him?
What do you thiink of evertons chance this season now? yesterday they lost Arteta, Yakubu and beckford. They brought in Royston Drenthe and Denis Stracqualursi (no idea who either of them are) I think they may struggle this year now saying that neither beckford or the yak have been prolific for them

tomtom

• forum hero
#3209 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 07:58:02 am
We signed Waghorn from The Foxes.. :/

Pearson seems good at assembling a championship squad of reasonably priced resonable players. Nit sure that's going to get us promoted though.. We'll see...

3T, what's your numbers on West Hams ins and outs?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3210 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 08:56:09 am
They brought in Royston Drenthe and Denis Stracqualursi (no idea who either of them are) I think they may struggle this year now saying that neither beckford or the yak have been prolific for them

Drenthe was part of a Dutch U21 team that were very impressive a few years ago - him and Ryan Babel players of the tournament.  Both moved for reasonable money (Babel to LFC) and neither really made an impact.  Lots of attributes - pace, skill etc but never really found a position.  A manager willing to accommodate him might have got a bargain... on the other hand he might be a poor man's Walcott (who's pretty frustrating himself).

And as for LUFC, we've sold our player of the year - Gradel.  Cue lots of plattitudes from Bates about our youth academy players being given a chance.....

btw, anyone else agree that Stoke should have been prevented from signing Crouch for the safety of humanity?!  With Crouch in the side, Stoke's playing style will become so Stoke-esque that it will create a singularity of direct football.... resulting in a Universe sucking blackhole of Stoke-ness.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3211 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 09:00:57 am

btw, anyone else agree that Stoke should have been prevented from signing Crouch for the safety of humanity?!  With Crouch in the side, Stoke's playing style will become so Stoke-esque that it will create a singularity of direct football.... resulting in a Universe sucking blackhole of Stoke-ness.

Indeed, the height of Crouch combined with the pace of Cameron Jerome (and the play-breaking ability of Palacios).  Wonder how they be setting up?  European football won't know what hit it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3212 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 09:33:41 am
3T, what's your numbers on West Hams ins and outs?

As I said, big shame to see Scotty Parker go but I think we've always known it was coming.

I took Jasper's advice and had a YouTube search for Henri Lansbury, he looks pretty decent and I guess it's a bonus that he's had a season of experience in the Championship with Norwich...he's also a man who knows how to celebrate in style it would seem:

As for David Bentley...meh.  :tumble:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3213 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 09:41:18 am
I thought Stoke already reached their zenith of Stokeness when John Carew was there on loan. Despite being a bit taller, Crouch is less of a target man type centre forward although I'm sure it wont stop them treating him as such.

Incidentally the move to Stoke means that Crouch has generated over £48m* in transfer fees so far in his career.

*(estimates,"based on appearances" etc notwithstanding, it's still a  lot of cash!)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3214 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 05:09:30 pm
Serving local real ales too.

I'm just gutted that it's going to be virtually impossible to get a ticket. There was mayhem when tickets for the reserves in the SSC final and some friendlies went on sale the other day, massive queues down the road outside the club shop and jammed phonelines.

Fortunately my stepmum has relatives with season tickets so I'm going to have to do some blagging.....

Looks like I might have a chance of going to the Brighton Leeds game next month! We were going down to Brighton on the Saturday anyway and when my stepmum mentioned it to her nephew he asked if I wanted to go to the game on the Friday night. They have season tickets for virtually every family member so reckon it wont be a problem.

Fingers crossed......   :bounce:

rich d

• forum hero
#3215 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 01, 2011, 06:13:08 pm
Crouch might start earning some points for my fantasy side now. Anyone seen the ukbfl  table - on hols in norfolk where there's no internet reception or rock - I'd like to know that I'm comfortably last.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3216 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 11:46:46 am

tomtom

• forum hero
#3217 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 12:46:02 pm
Spot the teams with loads of Man-Ure players in them... and those that dont... (e.g. me, Jasper and I suspect RichD)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3218 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 12:54:27 pm
No scum players allowed in my team. I've got Joey Barton though but that's ok because he's a born again student of philosophy and social reformer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3219 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 12:59:33 pm
No scum players allowed in my team. I've got Joey Barton though but that's ok because he's a born again student of philosophy and social reformer.

Yup, he's a changed man nowadays....

He's in my team too ;) though I may have to sub him out now he's in a fancy dan money bags London club...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3220 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 01:33:34 pm
After two days of stress and speculation it would appear we have finally signed Vicente on a 1 year deal with option of another year. YYFY!

Seems a very sensible option for the club and the player to see how he adapts to English football and (hopefully) stays fit. Apparently he turned down offers from Italy, the Middle East, Celtic (who?), some unnamed Premier League clubs and Leicester (who offered three times as much cash as us) because this isn't about money. We have apparently not broken the clubs wage structure for him.

He's been playing for a top La Liga club for 11 years so he's not short of a few quid, he just wants to play and knows that if he's fit he will get in the side. It's also about the way we play under Gus which will suit his style and of course it helps that Brighton is one of the best and most "european" cities in the country in which to live.

:2thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
#3221 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 01:56:42 pm
Its all about momentum for BHAFC in my view...  - and the injection of such class will certainly help (on the training ground as much as anything). If they can keep this run going - keep the self belief going and maybe even make it grow who knows!

Jammy git ;)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3222 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 02:00:08 pm
it helps that Brighton is one of the best and most "european" cities in the country in which to live.
what do you mean by european? ...

:lol:
Sorry ..  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#3223 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 02:01:54 pm

;)

edit: it must also be the 'continental' strip designs ;)
(good sponsor too!)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3224 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 02, 2011, 02:18:02 pm

The pink Nobo shirt is legendary among Brighton fans!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal