UKBouldering.com

Calling of The Barbecue (Read 133256 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#125 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 10:15:01 am
These went down well when I made them in Font t'other week, cheap, quick and easy.

N x large peppers, slice the top off and remove seeds and pith, keep the lid, its going back on.
Cous cous enough for however many peppers you're doing (mix equal weight of cous cous with equivalent volume of warm water, e.g. 100g of cous cous with 100ml of warm water).  Allow this to sit for 10minutes until all the water is absorbed, fork through the cous cous to break it up.

Whilst thats doing fry in olive oil finely chopped onions, mushrooms, chopped black olives and seasoning (use what you want, but chilli flakes work well, black pepper too) quantities appropriate to the volume of cous cous.

Once done mix the two together, optionally adding pine nuts, chopped spring onions and finely chopped corriander.

Stuff the peppers with the cous cous mix, put the lid back on and wrap up tightly in foil.  Place these directly on the coals of the bar-b-q for 10-15 minutes depending on how hot it is just be wary of the peppers burning.

Other cheap option for feeding lots is jacket potatoes, you can cheat and heat/do most of the cooking in the microwave first, then wrap in foil (drizzle of olive oil is nice at this stage) and bung them on the coals to cook.

The only downside to this is that both take a fair amount of heat out of the bar-b-q so you won't always be able to cook meat at the same time, but you've a huge bar-b-q so that won't be a problem.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#126 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 11:32:34 am
Slackers there is no meat in that recipe. Have you forgotten what day it is?  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#127 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 11:36:21 am
Slackers there is no meat in that recipe. Have you forgotten what day it is?  ;)

Its a concession this week as its National Vegetarian Week, let the poor, weak, emaciated vegans/vegetarians have a Friday off once a year.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#128 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 11:38:14 am
I'd have thought National Lettuce Munching Week would be all the more reason to up the ante!  :P

tomtom

• forum hero
#129 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 11:45:13 am
I think he may deserve a puntering for that statement Jasper ;) vegetarianism week? Whatever next!

:)

tomtom

• forum hero
#130 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 11:48:11 am
I'd have thought National Lettuce Munching Week would be all the more reason to up the ante!  :P

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#131 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 27, 2011, 01:24:15 pm
my dear mam brought me some of these back from the states last summer but I only got around to doing a bit of skewering (oo-er) recently:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/fire-wire-flexible-grilling-skewer/

they're really very good, you can position your kebab around whatever else is on your barb. recommended

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#132 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 30, 2011, 12:08:24 pm
after much thought and deliberation we bought this, granted its not worth its full price of £50 but for £20 its a bargain. Compared it side by side to the weber 47cm which is a better piece of kit its not worth nearly 4x the amount.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#133 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 30, 2011, 12:15:27 pm
Looks just the part. And it has the word "rim" in its name which can only be a good thing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#134 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 30, 2011, 02:09:43 pm
Anyone got any info on gas BBQs...I know, I know...buy a charcoal one...

BUT:  I live in a flat, and have a small balcony which is wherwe I want to put it. I've used a £15 kettle type which smoked out the neighbours, so I'm considering using the fuel of the devil! (and to be honest, as much as i prefer using the coals, there's not a lot of difference really)

I really like the look of this nice weber one but the price is a bit a steep. I'm almost willing to pay this much as I've always figured that you get what you pay for and they look built to last.

Has anyone seen any other options? There were cheaper ones at B&Q but they didn't look "built-to-last"...

tomtom

• forum hero
#135 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 30, 2011, 02:51:13 pm
I've got a portable gas bbq made by outback (seems to be discontinued) Its about 40 cm by 30cm (cooking area) and is about 30cm high when closed (has fold away legs). So you can put the thing in your car/shed/flat easily.. Might be idea..
it was about £60 5-6 years back. Works great. It may be small but as its gas you can just cook for longer (no need to wang more coals on etc..). Homebase/b&Q ones seem a bit wobbly to me (old man has one..).

When you buy a gas one, watch out for the extra cost of a regulator and the gas bottle - there may be a deposit etc..

Heres something similar...

Google portable gas BBQ etc.....
http://www.totalgardens.co.uk/Portable-Gas-BBQ-PS13527.html

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#136 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 31, 2011, 09:49:54 am
Anyone got any info on gas BBQs...I know, I know...buy a charcoal one...

BUT:  I live in a flat, and have a small balcony which is wherwe I want to put it. I've used a £15 kettle type which smoked out the neighbours, so I'm considering using the fuel of the devil! (and to be honest, as much as i prefer using the coals, there's not a lot of difference really)

I really like the look of this nice weber one but the price is a bit a steep. I'm almost willing to pay this much as I've always figured that you get what you pay for and they look built to last.

Has anyone seen any other options? There were cheaper ones at B&Q but they didn't look "built-to-last"...

Link doesn't seem to work but I'm guessing you mean the Weber Q series, very nice but rather pricey as you say. Your right about getting what you pay for, charcoal Webers have 10year guarantees and will last at least that if looked after. The bowel is enamelled not painted like cheap ones. A £30 bbq will last 2-3 years where as a £100 one will last 10-15.

I recently put together a cheap gas BBQ for my in-laws, it was so badly made I'd be surprised if it lasted as long as the time it took to assemble!

There are various other portable gas BBQs available, check out the Camping Gaz range, not used one myself but most of their kit is well made and not silly prices.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/campingaz-barbeques.asp

If you'd still like the charcoal taste without the hassle, as a leftfield option consider a Cobb BBQ

Whilst overpriced at full price, if you can pick one up in the sale or 2nd hand they are very good. We got one for about £40 and they do a whole roast chicken beautifully with about 6-8 brickettes. There is minimum smoke (to keep your neighbour happy), not quite the traditional BBQ experience but the food tastes great. There's even a moat to put beer/wine in to add flavor!

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#137 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 31, 2011, 09:59:50 am
Link doesn't seem to work but I'm guessing you mean the Weber Q series, very nice but rather pricey as you say. Your right about getting what you pay for, charcoal Webers have 10year guarantees and will last at least that if looked after. The bowel is enamelled not painted like cheap ones. A £30 bbq will last 2-3 years where as a £100 one will last 10-15.

how dare you suggest my bowels to be of the lower quality painted variety?!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#138 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 31, 2011, 10:02:05 am
Don't go cheap on gas barbeques. We had a holiday cottage with a Tesco one in it (I think) and used it once. Even at full heat it gave the meat a light tan, and took ages to cook, by which time I was very, very drunk. Would definitely avoid cooking chicken on one.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#139 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 31, 2011, 10:18:40 am
charcoal Webers have 10year guarantees and will last at least that if looked after. The bowel is enamelled not painted like cheap ones. A £30 bbq will last 2-3 years where as a £100 one will last 10-15.
bearing in mind its only the bowl, lid & handle that have the 10 year guarantee
Bowl and lid – 10 year
Handle – 10 year
Charcoal grate and cooking grate – 2 year
All other parts (legs, base, triangle, ash catcher, wheels and vents) – 2 year
Our last cheap kettle bbq which is more or less exactly the same as the one we just bought, was used/abused and left outside for the best part of at least 5 years and the things that gave out were the legs and we only chucked due to moving house.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#140 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 31, 2011, 10:27:19 am
bearing in mind its only the bowl, lid & handle that have the 10 year guarantee
Bowl and lid – 10 year
Handle – 10 year
Charcoal grate and cooking grate – 2 year
All other parts (legs, base, triangle, ash catcher, wheels and vents) – 2 year
Yeah, but the bowl, lid and handle get the most hammer. The cooking grate is stainless steel, the charcoal grate is heavy grade steel, and most other parts are aluminium so not gonna rust.

rich d

• forum hero
#141 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
June 07, 2011, 05:33:21 pm
this is from the weekend

thanks slackline for the peppers idea - put a load of feta in them too. Then did a beasty flatbread with a big bowl of tsiki(spelling)and obviously a few beers. I know there was no meat  :chair:

SamT

• forum hero
#142 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 11, 2012, 10:28:07 pm

Its been called....today....by me. 

Grit seasons over - BBQ time.  :icon_beerchug:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#143 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 11, 2012, 10:51:49 pm
Too late..... 16:30 for me and FBSF

We were on it.....

SamT

• forum hero
#144 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 12, 2012, 09:00:22 am

Clearly one can see from the angle of the shadows that the photo was taken at ~2pm.
Slow coaches!!  :P

erm, sam

• forum hero
#145 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 12, 2012, 09:05:55 am
Good work!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#146 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 12, 2012, 10:15:08 am
Darn...

:wall:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#147 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 12, 2012, 11:03:40 am
Spent yesterday pm at a kids party which was sensibly held at a pub with a big beer garden and climbing frame thing for the sprogs. Glorious. Did someone mention limestone?

:beer2:

underground

• forum hero
#148 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 12, 2012, 03:06:57 pm
Darn...

:wall:

To be fair FD you did technically do the calling at about noon as we sweated our way out of the woods

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#149 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
March 12, 2012, 06:00:41 pm
 8)

fair point

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal