UKBouldering.com

Calling of The Barbecue (Read 131240 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 09:27:07 am
I am calling the 2009 Barbecue Season open because...

*I had a my first barbecue of the year last night

*it was sunny on a bank holiday weekend

*at least 2 neighbours had washing hung on the line within 10m of my barbecue when I lit it and because it was reasonably late in the day I felt no guilt in proceeding with smoke production (photographic proof to follow)

*it was warm enough for me to be wearing shorts - even when the sun disappeared (I'll spare you the photos)

I accept that The Barbeque Season may well have started elsewhere in the country already, but with Sheffield being at the centre of the UK I thought it worth calling.

More importantly, I thought that it was time that we had a thread dedicated to this most enjoyable summer activity

Quote from: Lagerpedia - A Guide to The Barbecue Thread
Pointless discussion about when The Barbecue should be called and how it should be spelt

Post up any good barbecue recipes - vegetarian and vegan ideas welcome too (anyone attempting to take the moral highground either way will be roasted alive and eaten)

Reviews and reccommendations of barbecues and related equipment (home made or shop bought)

Reports of any good times had and respect given to hosts

Post any photos of barbecue food, cooking injuries, sunburn, outdoor beer drinking, foolish behaviour

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 09:41:17 am
We did one on Saturday, and although it drizzled intermittently for half an hour, it turned out nice again.  Noone came down with GI symptoms though*, so I'm not sure if I can class it as a proper BBQ.

*although everyone that ate Nik at Work's cheesecake came down with a sudden attack of the coronaries

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 09:46:30 am
Had late attendance at one yesterday. We were out climbing, so stopped on the way back, when the food was already cooked, which was was a good way of doing it. There were half a dozen South Africans present during the cooking process, so the meat was done perfectly (this is normally my job). However, no shorts were worn, so I am not sure if this is an official calling for Scotland.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#3 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 09:55:20 am
no shorts - fail

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 10:17:24 am
We're on soup rations due to Mr LucyA's nasty infected throat - again  :(

He had the constitution of an ox before we had a baby.....

However, I am going to buy a barbeque this week - any recommendations? Not too big or expensive. Proper charcoal rather than those cheating gas things. Must look nice and be hard-wearing as it will end up outside all the time.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

SamT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 10:30:43 am

Make do over this summer and then buy one in the sales in September/anytime after August BHol when they start getting rid em cheap.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 10:32:29 am
We have one of the low Weber ones, not the high one linke on the JL website, can take it way camping if you have room. Great for cooking in the rain, even done a turkey in it for SA Xmas.

chummer

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 11:00:04 am
It's a good call Largers. I was at Jerry's roof and I could smell the sweet smoke from a BBQ wafting down the pass in the evening breeze. Just a shame the BBQers leave their crap under the boulders for me to take home.

Question. What do we call those that BBQ?  :-\

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#10 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 01:33:30 pm
That will do the job. Can you pick one up for me when you pop down to get yours.

I wonder if we can justify buying 3 of them for next years CWIF  ;D

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#11 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 02:17:31 pm
That will do the job. Can you pick one up for me when you're going down to get yours.

I wonder if we can justify buying 3 of them for next years CWIF  ;D
Still not stopped being smug about the Toons relegation, Graeme? Good lad!
However, 3 of the worlds biggest barbeques on company expenses is harder to justify. We're not MP's you know....

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 02:36:53 pm
Still not stopped being smug about the Toons relegation

Ouch. Would sir like some salt for that wound.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 03:51:04 pm
However, I am going to buy a barbeque this week - any recommendations? Not too big or expensive. Proper charcoal rather than those cheating gas things. Must look nice and be hard-wearing as it will end up outside all the time.
Definately go for a Weber. We are shortly upgrading to the 57cm kettle. We have a Smokey Joe which is great for two people but a little small for a party. Check out some of the accessories you can get! We are getting the chimney lighter and I'm going to try and persuade Mrs Obi we need the pizza stone!

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/weber-charcoal-bbq-accessories.asp
John Lewis looks as cheap as anywhere, not sure what accessories they stock.

We also have a Cobb on which we did a whole roast chicken last night. Not your classic BBQ but a great additional one especially if you pick up one for half price in the sales.  ;D It uses just 7 brickettes and does a chicken to perfection in 1.5hrs

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 05:15:01 pm
Be aware that the John Lewis 'Exclusive' Weber 57cm kettle for £85 mentioned is not the classic 'one-touch' silver. It is the smaller 'compact' model with a few less features. The classic can be bought online for not much more. http://www.garden4less.co.uk/weber-one-touch-silver-57cm.asp
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:30:18 pm by Obi-Wan is lost... »

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 09:51:09 pm

... before we had a baby.....

- any recommendations? Not too big or expensive. Proper charcoal rather than those cheating gas things.

We ended up getting a gas one since the kids, less free time means the gas one is up and running very quickly and we can get the little animals fed.

J :-)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 25, 2009, 10:22:32 pm
We ended up getting a gas one since the kids, less free time means the gas one is up and running very quickly and we can get the little animals fed.

J :-)
To what?

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#17 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 03:42:07 am
I am calling the 2009 Barbecue Season open

Season never closes for us. I want one of these....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 07:38:45 am
Good call, in keeping with the tradition of UK bar-b-q-ing (the one and only true spelling  :P) I attended a bar-b-q last night for a friends birthday.....in the rain   :thumbsup: (they have an industrial gazebo as they do catering at festivals so staying dry wasn't a problem :) ).

Started laying the foundations for a brick bar-b-q this weekend too, hopefully get it finished before the end of summer (maybe!).

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#19 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 08:21:37 am

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#20 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 10:12:22 am
I dp hope that no one uses those ghastly gas operated BBQs.....defeats the object imo...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#21 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 10:18:40 am
I dp hope that no one uses those ghastly gas operated BBQs

See RopeBoy's post above. Just outdoor cookers aren't they.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#22 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 11:15:13 am
Aren't there negative health issues w/ non-gas BBQ's?  Never been fully explained to me, tho' the father-in-law won't use one (a solid fuel BBQ that is); words like cancer have been heard; maybe this is charred food?

Personally I find all Ur-behaviour fascinating, making fire especially.  Full spit-roasting is incredible to watch.  Didn't Neil do this (the medieval feast game) before becoming a Font hotelier?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#23 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 11:27:54 am
Aren't there negative health issues w/ non-gas BBQ's?  Never been fully explained to me, tho' the father-in-law won't use one (a solid fuel BBQ that is); words like cancer have been heard; maybe this is charred food?

Yeah Houd its the charred food thing. Heavily oxidized food= free radicals and they are linked with cancer. But drink your cranberry based sea breeze, and many cocktails with anti-oxidant summer berries and all shall be well I'm sure.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Calling of The Barbecue
May 26, 2009, 11:29:56 am
If you burn meat black it can release free radicals or something, but you can do that on any heat source. If you know what you are doing with any barbeque you can cook meat safely. A good rule of thumb (rule of palm) is if there are no flames, and you can hold your hand at the cooking level for 10 seconds before having to pull it away, then it's the right temperature for cooking on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal