UKBouldering.com

Bouldering mat repairs (Read 3243 times)

(woz)

• forum abuser
Bouldering mat repairs
October 21, 2003, 11:59:10 am
has anyone on here ever tried to repair a bouldering mat when the foam gets all compacted?? I am thinking about gettin some new foam in my cordless one cos next to the snap mat i bought its pretty pathetic. Its only really useful for keeping my feet dry now. :( advice?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Bouldering mat repairs
October 21, 2003, 12:33:52 pm
I guess you need new foam, which is the expensive part of the mat. Have you tried contacted the manufacturer to see if you can just buy the foam as oppose to the whole thing? Unlikely I reckon. Otherwise, someone like POD might be able to help you out.

dave

#2 Bouldering mat repairs
October 21, 2003, 01:40:33 pm
like bubbs says, the main part of the cost of the mat is the foam, so i'm guessing if your foam has gone west then chances are the outer is a little knackered anall, so may be better just to fork the extra and buy a new mat.

you could always try adn buy cheaper foam yourself (like form upholsterers etc) but i warn you it willl be shit - you get what you fay for with foam.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Bouldering mat repairs
October 21, 2003, 03:03:47 pm
You can put in cut out sleeping mats on top to stiffen it up a bit.
Anyone got any good tips on how to repair the outer (eg rips) apart from gaffa tape?

dave

#4 Bouldering mat repairs
October 21, 2003, 03:13:37 pm
you could patch over a rip with similar material and glue it - i think i read somewhere about some very strong flexible rubbery non-corrosive glue like they use to glue boot rubber onto leather boots etc (in fact it was an article about customising leather winter boots by glueing rubber all over the lower section the things you'll read when bored) - in fact it might be the glue you get for repairing bike tyres but don't quote me on that (not the vulcanising stuff!).

(woz)

• forum abuser
#5 Bouldering mat repairs
October 21, 2003, 03:29:18 pm
cheers guys, i am gonna try and get my hands on some new foam, hopefully on 't cheap. failing that i'll just shove some karrimats in or sumething.
woz

Sergio

#6 Bouldering mat repairs
October 22, 2003, 09:55:32 am
Pokey little upholstery shop on London Road opposite the Vietnamese Noodle Bar (next to an army surplus store) sells the real shit. Last year, I strolled in there and the fella sorted me out with a sheet of the "high density" stuff, exactly the same as used in my metolius mat. Took it home, cut it in half and squeezed it in to my pad. Cost me around £12 which seemed pretty reasonable and I can now confindently take massive pissers without completely shafting my ankles.

Might be worth taking a sample with you though (cut the corner off your old knackered foam) and some vague dimensions for your pad.

Good luck

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Bouldering mat repairs
October 22, 2003, 09:58:52 am
Handy tip there for us Sheffielders - thanks Sergio.

dave

#8 Bouldering mat repairs
October 22, 2003, 09:59:55 am
the surplus store in question must be Jayjays then. bo.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Bouldering mat repairs
October 22, 2003, 10:11:07 am
isn't that the army shop?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal