UKBouldering.com

Recommend a Protein supplement. (Read 20155 times)

joeb

• addict
Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 09:14:22 pm
Looking to buy a protein supplement or all in one to complement my diet. Training 3 times a week with a physical job is catching up on me, I struggle to get enough protein in my diet and am noticing my recovery time is not as good. (not feeling fresh with reasnoble lay offs) This all combined with a new baby and sleep deprevation means i'm after any ergonomic aid i can legally lay my hands on.
Thanks

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 09:21:45 pm
Well, ah, I'm not normaly one to offer...  But if you could just throw your head back and be very sexy for me I'll do my best.   :wank:

joeb

• addict
#2 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 09:40:12 pm
Theres always a comedian, i'm sure the third reich wasn't known for it's humour though.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 09:44:40 pm
I am sure a few may disagree but i find the body fortress whey protein from Holland and Barrett more than sufficient. On sale at moment too.

Eddies

• forum hero
#4 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 09:46:59 pm
I am sure a few may disagree but i find the body fortress whey protein from Holland and Barrett more than sufficient. On sale at moment too.

2for1 at the mo i think, thats quite a good deal.
Or theres this: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/impact-whey-protein/

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#5 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 10:05:18 pm
yeah, I use this - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/acid-whey-protein/

nice with some water and juice...

205Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 10:38:58 pm
Anyone got any recommendations on how much / when to take it? i.e. do you just use it after training or as a daily thing to get more protein in your diet?

joswald

#7 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 11:15:12 pm
I 3rd Myprotein.co.uk

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#8 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 11:28:56 pm
I use Maximuscle Promax strawberry flavour and it seems to be great so far. I've certainly noticed the benefits of proper recovery after training or climbing (I only use it after the aforementioned activities and usually eat a lot of protein in my daily diet like eggs, tuna, nuts, cheese..etc)

There are obviously cheaper alternatives and I may have a look into myprotein after I get through this current huge tub unless they have a sale!  :please:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#9 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 11:30:42 pm
I use Maximuscle Promax

Have you ever used another brand? Wondering how much of the Maximuscle hype is to be believed! And if its worth the extra cost...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#10 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 11:43:11 pm
I'm keen to try out a similar item from myprotein and compare in a couple of months time I think!

Matty D (he of the steel fingers) recommended the promax to me, so I gave it a shot and have made an effort to put it into the routine along with running around, starjumps and theraband before the crush!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#11 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 19, 2009, 11:59:19 pm
I'm going to have to get involved with this cheat powder you speak of Crouch. Even though it has the chalky taste and consistency of tit milk, it has to be better than enduring rigor mortis for some days after.

joeb

• addict
#12 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 07:35:11 am
Some good replies there, thanks. The price of my protein and it's simple ingredients sound good will give this a go. I have tried maximuscle both promax, creatamax and cyclone and found them to be no better than any other brand around. I did like the SiS rego but feered it had too little protein and designed towards endurance events. Has anyone used any phD products ? Speaking to a buddy of mine who rides bike time trials who endorses it but the cost is putting me off.

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#13 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 09:11:39 am
yeah, I find the my protein a bit hard tpo mix at times - a blender works (but a lot gets wasted up the side if I'm only doing a single portion), otherwise i use a handblender in a glass which makes it real smooth....

I tried shaking it in a plastic container first off - but it came out all lumpy... :(

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#14 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 10:29:20 am
Does it really matter which whey protein supplement you go for? Is there really that much difference between them or is it all just down to what mixes best, what tastes the best and what's the most cost effective?

On the subject of cost. If you take out a GNC goldcard at one of their stores for £9.99 per year, you get 20% off all future purchases. I can't find any details online, but it's saved me quite a bit of money so far.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#15 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 11:14:54 am
Some good replies there, thanks. The price of my protein and it's simple ingredients sound good will give this a go. I have tried maximuscle both promax, creatamax and cyclone and found them to be no better than any other brand around. I did like the SiS rego but feered it had too little protein and designed towards endurance events. Has anyone used any phD products ? Speaking to a buddy of mine who rides bike time trials who endorses it but the cost is putting me off.

I wouldn't use the SIS Rego after non endurance training.  I use it after biking and it seems to work very well for that.

I use(d) the SIS Build in my transformation from 7 stone weakling to 16 stone bone crusher.  It didn't make me climb any better, but I did find myself splitting my shirts on a regular basis.

Maximuscle is a bit over-hyped I reckon, but it does taste nicer. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 11:24:20 am
I use Maximuscle Promax

Have you ever used another brand? Wondering how much of the Maximuscle hype is to be believed! And if its worth the extra cost...

lets not go over this yet again, there is no f'in difference, look down the ingredients list then look at quality checks on MP. The only reason to buy MM is that the taste is better. I'm not going to bang on about MP but its safe to say if you're buying MM you're just throwing cash away IMO. I've reasoned this with many people and yet still I see them with their expensive tubs.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 11:36:09 am
You've had to repost the same thing nearly as many times as slackers has directed people to the "How To Add Photos" thread.

:lol:

Paul --->  :wall:

Eddies

• forum hero
#18 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 12:24:23 pm
 :agree: Paul B.
But for whats its worth MP do a mix with creatine and some other shit 'Hurricane XS' its called I think, this mixes OK but some creatine crystals still remain.
I now just use the MP choc whey powder straight after a workout and it does the trick, tastes better than any other shake ive had, mixes well in a shaker and is cheaper than the rest. Nuff Said

joeb

• addict
#19 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 05:30:52 pm
Just had a chance to look at the my protein site and things look good, the only thing i would be nervous off is the milk content as i suffer migraines and have tiny amounts of any dairy product in my diet. Thanks for all the input.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#20 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 05:48:44 pm
HB protein is pretty low quality.

MP stuff is as good at MM, but tastes like shit especially if you mix it with water.  I'd rather pay more money and use it rather than have stuff sitting on the shelf.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 08:32:22 pm
i still think human growth hormone is better. a little harder to get hold of tho

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 08:33:33 pm
before anyone passes out ,that was a joke

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#23 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 20, 2009, 10:43:36 pm
Agreed

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Recommend a Protein supplement.
March 21, 2009, 06:52:09 pm
HB protein is pretty low quality.

MP stuff is as good at MM, but tastes like shit especially if you mix it with water.  I'd rather pay more money and use it rather than have stuff sitting on the shelf.

you p*ssy. I've only stopped using the rasberry whey as after 5kg 'rasberry' derived from sweet cheese, is a bit nasty. I can't believe you're willing to spend that much /kg for just enhanced taste. James, is using acid whey and a whole lot of other nasty tasting ingredients from MP and he's managed to make a pretty palatable drink using soya milk with it...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal