UKBouldering.com

Desparete - topout (Read 15202 times)

Kingy

• forum hero
Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 09:55:25 am
I have searched the archives and found a few refs to this but nothing directly concerning what to do on the Desparete topout.

Basically, if the top bit is bouldering then I'm out! You could easily break a leg as the landing is sloping and you're over 15 foot up when you pull onto the upper arete after gaining the big hold after all the hard climbing. So, like a big Jessie, I bridged into the chimney on the right after touching the next break above. I guess you could say you climbed an E4 7a if you went all the way but for me this is far more dangerous than the WSS topout. I wonder if there is any value in flagging this up in the next guide? I agree that this is 7b as per the new definitive list on Vimeo.

dave

#1 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 09:57:58 am
i heard Steve McModest bottled off the topout too.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 12:59:24 pm
i bridged at the top after thinking i was going to die on scrittle, so did huffy. i have took the tick with absolutely no quarms confident that i can do a 4b mantle when it's clean, what's more i don't give a fuck what percy or johnny say.
i also took the tick for a 7a in font that had a wet through top out of 3a after doing the crux moves on razors and holding the flat top with both hands.
i am not a bad man.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#3 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 01:26:26 pm
If this top out is 'after all the hard climbing', then why are people still bottling it? Could it be perhaps because it's closer to 6a than 4b?

Desparete's biggest problem is it's escapability, and given the option it's not surprising people bridge out. I know i did a couple of times before I 'did it.'

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 01:45:56 pm
You could easily break a leg as the landing is sloping and you're over 15 foot up when you pull onto the upper arete after gaining the big hold after all the hard climbing.... I wonder if there is any value in flagging this up in the next guide?

Something along the lines of:

"Warning: the top out of this boulder is just as high as it looks from the floor and should you fall, the landing is probably just as bad as it looks."

Kingy

• forum hero
#5 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 02:13:42 pm
I think it would be useful to have an indication of what you have to do to get the bouldering tick. I.e. is that hollow feeling of copping out unwarranted? Is it a route to the top or is it legit for the boulderer to bridge into the chimney?

I guess with a full spotting team and multiple pads it might be OK but I'm not sure I would chance it to be honest!

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 02:27:50 pm
You could easily break a leg as the landing is sloping and you're over 15 foot up when you pull onto the upper arete after gaining the big hold after all the hard climbing.... I wonder if there is any value in flagging this up in the next guide?

Something along the lines of:

"Warning: the top out of this boulder is just as high as it looks from the floor and should you fall, the landing is probably just as bad as it looks."

Your work here is done Ru :)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Desparete - topout
February 23, 2009, 02:38:01 pm
Come on Ted, you don't need the opinions of what the forum users as to whether or not you feel like you've ticked the problem.
To be honest it sounds like you feel you haven't done it, where as people like dense have no quarms with ticking what they see to be the hard climbing.
Personally I always like to top out or do all the obvious moves etc.. before I know I've done the problem (or tick it if you will)
each to their own
yes its high, scrittly and dangerous, but thats half the fun sometimes

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#8 Re: Desparete - topout
February 24, 2009, 09:29:40 am
This felt like a total gift to me at 7b+, or even at 7b to be honest, so I assume that this is because the top out is a bit spicy, but surely an integral part of the problem to make it complete?

beta that I used for the top was:
span left to big hold in breakm right heel or toe on the jug that you slap to, rock over to good high edges up and right (if these holds feel bad then you're on the wrong ones) match edges (they are a bit scrittly to be fair, and get the huge, juggy top.

Awesome climbing though, the whole problem in general is has similar climbing to the nearby Nosferatu, and would be a good warm up for that I reckons, although that defo aint a boulder prob!!

In reply to Dense: Yes you are! how's dyno club without the leek contingent?

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Desparete - topout
February 24, 2009, 03:31:22 pm
Have to say all this recent talk of not toping out because it’s snowy, wet, too high etc etc is a bit worrying. In my book you need to top out (if indeed the problem is a top out) and if you can’t due to some other factor you come back at a  later date and finish it off. Imagine if some guy just missed out on a  world record running time then said “but I was slowing down at the end so I would have broken the record and I’m going to take it.”

WSS is a great example. If you do the hard bit at the bottom you have ticked some classic moves but not WSS, you’ve ticked out the start of WSS. Sounds like Desparete is similar? I’m guessing it’s a lot less gripping than circa the days of a dozen mats.

This then extends itself in to the even more worrying practice of missing out a few moves at the beginning or end of a problem because “they’re easy” and it doesn’t affect the grade. No, it starts there and finishes there so you need to do that for the tick. Some things I’ve heard / seen:
-   persons starting staminaband 3-4 moves in
-   starting la proue in cresciano 1 move in
-   starting mushroom roof in hueco missing the whole original traverse out
-   generally missing out easy starting bits of problems and taking half a grade less.
-   sometimes this is done out of a lack of knowledge rather than cheating / short changing yourself quickly becomes the norm.

OK it’s a route but the worst example I’ve seen was a top german climber who crusied the hard bit of a bouldery 8b route and the moment he hit the 1st jug he started to shake violently and lose all composure. He layed one on for the next jug, clipped the bolt & claimed the tick. He forgot to do the 6c bit at the top which was “really easy” as he’d have surely fallen off.

Standards seem to be sipping in search of the mighty grade and the quality ascent of old seems to be biting the bullet

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Desparete - topout
February 24, 2009, 03:50:11 pm
This then extends itself in to the even more worrying practice of missing out a few moves at the beginning or end of a problem because “they’re easy” and it doesn’t affect the grade. No, it starts there and finishes there so you need to do that for the tick. Some things I’ve heard / seen:
-   persons starting staminaband 3-4 moves in
-   starting la proue in cresciano 1 move in
-   starting mushroom roof in hueco missing the whole original traverse out
-   generally missing out easy starting bits of problems and taking half a grade less.
-   sometimes this is done out of a lack of knowledge rather than cheating / short changing yourself quickly becomes the norm.

OK it’s a route but the worst example I’ve seen was a top german climber who crusied the hard bit of a bouldery 8b route and the moment he hit the 1st jug he started to shake violently and lose all composure. He layed one on for the next jug, clipped the bolt & claimed the tick. He forgot to do the 6c bit at the top which was “really easy” as he’d have surely fallen off.

Standards seem to be sipping in search of the mighty grade and the quality ascent of old seems to be biting the bullet

Some thoughts on this on a specific problem at Font (Surplomb de la Mee) from the man in the forest.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: Desparete - topout
February 24, 2009, 03:55:57 pm

I did that on Reve on a filthy hot day when me and Simon Scully decided it would be a good idea to try it. After a few goes I got through the start and up to the next clip where the hard climbing is over. I was sweating like a dog and as I pulled the rope up to clip my fingers started greasing out of the pocket. As you could hit the ground from there I fumbled about for a bit trying to reverse to chalk up etc before doing the sensible thing and grabbing the quickdraw.

>:(

Of course I didn't take the tick even though it's about 6b to the top from there.

Some of those examples do sound very dodgy but I don't think it's anything new Andy. There have always been unscrupulous characters willing to take the "Good As" tick. It's the old chestnut about honesty - with yourself and others - as you know yourself what constitutes a tick and what doesn't.

Some thoughts on this on a specific problem at Font (Surplomb de la Mee) from the man in the forest.

Nah that's just the other old chestnut of Ben using a duff sequence but being strong enough to still think it's the easiest way anyway.  ;)

north_country_boy

• junky
#12 Re: Desparete - topout
February 24, 2009, 04:25:17 pm
Didn't this happen to a certain regular poster on here, on Chimes at the Tor???!!

If the rumour is true, I heard the caller of the Lime said he could have it?.......... :-\ :shrug:

Stubbs

#13 Re: Desparete - topout
February 24, 2009, 04:34:09 pm
"Andy could see every misdemeanour at every crag in the peak district from his lovely new high horse"

;)

craic-head

• regular
#14 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 03:38:24 am
Well said Andy.
Is feeling the need to qualify the details of an ascent to people not an indication that there might be niggling doubts about it in your own mind?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 10:36:05 am
my feeling on topping out the scrittle on desparete is still the same. i broke a few bones and generally messed myself up a fair few years ago topping out on scrittle, suffice to say i was eating through a straw for 7 wks. when people ask me about the problem i tell them what i've done

Plattsy

• forum hero
#16 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 11:00:45 am
For me a problem is from A to B. Misunderstanding/not knowing where A and B are is forgiveable but once known for sure there is no excuse. If you don't start from A and finish at B then you haven't done the problem/route.

I often will bottle a scrittly (or just a generally scary) top out and not take the tick. Just one of those things. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Plenty more fish in the sea.

ps. I know nothing about Desparete.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#17 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 11:07:34 am
pps - Got a friend who'll take a tick (usually indoors so it doesn't really count) for successfully completeing the problem in two halves.

Erm, yeah well done.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#18 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 12:53:28 pm
would you tick remergence  if you hadn't topped it out? (does it depend if you have a bouldering guide or routes guide with you?)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#19 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 01:42:59 pm
would you tick remergence  if you hadn't topped it out? (does it depend if you have a bouldering guide or routes guide with you?)

I suppose it does to a degree. If I was routing and wanted to climb remergence and take an E4 tick. Then I would have to top out.

If I was bouldering and wanted to climb the start to remergence and take the v4 tick I would probably refer to the guide/person next to me/my mind and work out where there is a logical place the boulder problem start finishes and the route continues.

My logic is probably flawed but there you go.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 01:51:13 pm
I suppose it does to a degree. If I was routing and wanted to climb remergence and take an E4 tick. Then I would have to top out.

If I was bouldering and wanted to climb the start to remergence and take the v4 tick I would probably refer to the guide/person next to me/my mind and work out where there is a logical place the boulder problem start finishes and the route continues.

Ergo its completely arbitrary whether you top out or not and your stance that topouts are required to validate an ascent is dependent on whether you're ticking the arbitrary placement of point B that you are trying to reach from point A.

In a similar vein there is this pic on flickr that shows some bolts on grit (presumably in a quarry, linked, so if you're bothered go and read the text that accompanies the picture)....

Incidentally (or not) the same person has the following pick of a forum regular on their stream which I thought was quite nicely composed/shot.  Wouldn't fancy the landing myself (again linked if you want to look at higher res version)...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#21 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 01:59:56 pm
Dunno about your logic but your choice of grading system is completely flawed.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#22 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 02:10:40 pm

Ergo its completely arbitrary whether you top out or not and your stance that topouts are required to validate an ascent is dependent on whether you're ticking the arbitrary placement of point B that you are trying to reach from point A.

Not sure I understand that.

On the bolted grit route. I don't know it but I guess I'd have voted for it to be left to nature. Afterall there is plenty of other rock to climb.

Dunno about your logic but your choice of grading system is completely flawed.

Took the grades from UKC so that figures.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 02:31:14 pm
For me a problem is from A to B. Misunderstanding/not knowing where A and B are is forgiveable but once known for sure there is no excuse. If you don't start from A and finish at B then you haven't done the problem/route.

Now I should point out that I don't know the history of Remergence, but I guess it was a route first and the boulder-problem (i.e. not topping out) came afterwards.

Thus in your above proposition B is topping out the route (assuming that my guess as to the history of the route/problem is correct).  As you say its forgiveable to not do so if one is ignorant, but you then go on to say...

..so you've essentially moved the position of B to coincide with your goals at the time of trying the route/problem (i.e. "If I was bouldering and wanted to climb the start to remergence...").  In a similar vein whether to top-out Desparate is a personal choice for the individual.  Some see B to be the point at which the hard climbing ends, whilst others see it as topping out through the scrittle.

Hence why I stated its arbitrary whether you top-out or not.  Each to their own really.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 02:52:03 pm by slack---line, Reason: removing duplicity »

Plattsy

• forum hero
#24 Re: Desparete - topout
February 25, 2009, 02:49:00 pm
Each to their own really.
:agree: and thanks for explaining.

Like I said I don't know Desparete and vaguely know Remergence.

As far as I remember/gleamed from UKC:-

Remergence is a route and Remergence Start the boulder problem. If there is distinction between the two then I would assume there is a difference. I would say point B has moved in this respect.

Desparete it would appear to be a route and highball boulder problem. This again is slightly different. I wouldn't give myself the tick if I traversed off whether I was climbing it as a route or a highball problem. Point B is in the same place on this one as far as I can see (I may be wrong. If so point B can be moved).

These are just my thoughts and are not aimed at anyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal