UKBouldering.com

climbing frequency (Read 9568 times)

highonair

• regular
climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 09:28:38 am
Hi how often do you guys climb a week, and if you climb more than once a week how long did it take to build up to this and do you train in other ways like gym running cycling ect.?

Dan  :)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#1 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 10:36:21 am
I used to climb about 5-6 times a week and got injured a lot but seemed to improve quite fast, then cut it down to a more reasonable 3-4 sessions and found I had less tweaks and got stronger as I was recovering more after sessions. Try to now climb outdoors on a weekend day and train Tues & Thurs. The benefits of quality rest days inbetween sessions are huge!  :thumbsup:

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#2 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 11:04:50 am
well, I've just started about 3 weeks ago (tho, had last week off due to having a cold) and I'm currently aiming for 3 times a week (mon, wed and fri) for about an hour per session...tho, I'm still a bit sore from last night.. :D

tho, I'm not sure if this is overkill for a beginner....seems that last weeks rest did a bit of good too...I'll just have to see how it pans out...

highonair

• regular
#3 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 11:05:02 am
how about when you 1st strated climbing ?

at the moment i climb every friday indoors but and am battling bad elbows and a crunchy shoulder caused by gym and being a roofer which get sore a lot though ive been doing tendon exercizes and coldwater treatment on my arms  which seem to be helping.

but couldnt up the amount of climbing i do at the moment, though ive only been climbing 5 weeks i have made vast progress but am not pushing it to the limit, well i do push it a bit lol gotta be done .

highonair

• regular
#4 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 11:09:18 am
well, I've just started about 3 weeks ago (tho, had last week off due to having a cold) and I'm currently aiming for 3 times a week (mon, wed and fri) for about an hour per session...tho, I'm still a bit sore from last night.. :D

tho, I'm not sure if this is overkill for a beginner....seems that last weeks rest did a bit of good too...I'll just have to see how it pans out...

i dont know about your fitness strenght or job type (all factors which make a difference in tiredness ect) but from my past experience with fitness and exercize this does sound a bit intence but then ive buggered myself in the gym for years 4 nights a week pushing silly amounts of weight too quick for my tendons to strenhen but paying for it now  :'(  :lol:

highonair

• regular
#5 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 11:16:10 am
i would love to climb mid week but if my elbows get really bad like the gym days again ill be pissed, and wont be climbing at all, i run twice a week and do my arm rehab type exercize, as well as some core strengh work along with press ups dips and pull ups during the week, im getting my strengh back and my arms arent getting too bad just a mild aching now and then, but hopefully ill be uping the frequency as time goes by body permitting  :)

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#6 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 03:06:24 pm

i dont know about your fitness strenght or job type (all factors which make a difference in tiredness ect) but from my past experience with fitness and exercize this does sound a bit intence but then ive buggered myself in the gym for years 4 nights a week pushing silly amounts of weight too quick for my tendons to strenhen but paying for it now  :'(  :lol:

yeah, I've got an office job - but I'm fairly fit... :)
what'#s the best supplements to take too?

I'm just going to have to suck it and see I guess... :)

highonair

• regular
#7 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 03:40:17 pm
to be honest through my time at the gym ect i used to take protein, mass gain, and cyclone.

but since my break from the gym (permenant) ive just been feuling up with lucozade sport, and ive just started trying the powder which you add your own water to.

if you want to take a good suppliment then cyclone by maximuscle is awesome, it has a balance of protein carbs small amount of creatine  vits and nutes every thing for the requirements of strenuous sports its not cheap  but is very good.

ill be on it once i can spare the pennys for a tub 

http://www.maximuscle.com/cyclone?gclid=CJLQ0enx45gCFdCS3wodijIGdA

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 03:46:01 pm
I'm resisting going on a major supplementation rant, there's no magic 'good pill' Mr Cat i'm afraid and supplementation is at the end of the day fine tuning which will have little effect unless everything else is right.

Highonair: May I suggest you look at the ingredients on MM Cyclone, then take a look at some other suppliers (lower cost) and compare. You can get the same stuff for 12/kg.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 03:48:07 pm
Dan,
I've been climbing about 18 years now, and my general rule of thumb is: Once a week - I improve very slightly (technique improves - strenth/endurance little) but no injury worries. Twice a week and I improve steadily - though can start to get some aches/pains that generally ease before the next time I go. THree times a week and I start to hurt and can begin to tweak muscles/tendons but can make significant improvements.
So I ALWAYS try and climb once a week, aim to to climb twice, and if theres one thing I'm really going for have a blast at more than twice for a week or two.
Remember that muscles improve rapidly, but tendons can take alot lot longer - especially when you just start...
Nothing blunts enthusiasm more than an untimely injury.. so take it steady.. that problem'll always be there another day!
enjoy.
T

highonair

• regular
#10 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 03:54:34 pm
Dan,
I've been climbing about 18 years now, and my general rule of thumb is: Once a week - I improve very slightly (technique improves - strenth/endurance little) but no injury worries. Twice a week and I improve steadily - though can start to get some aches/pains that generally ease before the next time I go. THree times a week and I start to hurt and can begin to tweak muscles/tendons but can make significant improvements.
So I ALWAYS try and climb once a week, aim to to climb twice, and if theres one thing I'm really going for have a blast at more than twice for a week or two.
Remember that muscles improve rapidly, but tendons can take alot lot longer - especially when you just start...
Nothing blunts enthusiasm more than an untimely injury.. so take it steady.. that problem'll always be there another day!
enjoy.
T

cheers thats exactly what im doing  ;D im strong as fuck and am starting to find that extra strengh that dissapeared a bit when i laid of the gym but my tendons are not good but im working on it

highonair

• regular
#11 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:01:17 pm
my cock up with the cyclone its good but not the one i was thinking of its the viper http://www.maximuscle.com/viper

and as far as using cheap suppliments go i wouldn do it the ingrediants cant be to the same standards you get what you pay for 90% of the time. ive used loads of different suppliments over the last 14 years and the cheap ones have allways played me up like wind heartburn ect.

they are by no means a magic pill lol and dont do the training for you but can help big time.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:04:21 pm
and as far as using cheap suppliments go i wouldn do it the ingrediants cant be to the same standards

Myprotein provides independent lab tests as to the quality of their protein which PROVES its just as good as leading brands i'm not going to bang this drum any longer, join the ever increasing list of climbers to whom I've pointed this out , backed it up and yet they've carried on spending a fortune for a slightly smoother taste.

highonair

• regular
#13 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:07:59 pm
so whats your protein ?  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:10:32 pm
and as far as using cheap suppliments go i wouldn do it the ingrediants cant be to the same standards

Myprotein provides independent lab tests as to the quality of their protein which PROVES its just as good as leading brands i'm not going to bang this drum any longer, join the ever increasing list of climbers to whom I've pointed this out , backed it up and yet they've carried on spending a fortune for a slightly smoother taste.

This might be a dumbass question - but do these protein things actually help? I've never been near them and wondered what kind of difference they make? DO you only need to get that much extra protein if you are really working out/training hard?
Forgive my ignorance - I suspect theres a thread somewhere all about this...
T

highonair

• regular
#15 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:15:53 pm
they do work and are very good for taking in protien ect if a) your not a big eater and b) if you need to take in a few more nutes than you already ahve in your diet.
the energy type ones are good and for me who gets dehidrated very easily finding water alone dont really hydrate me like i said lucosade sport is very good which is what im using at the mo but during the summer ill prob move on to the viper.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#16 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:25:35 pm
When I started climbing in 1992 (gasp), I climbed 5 or more times per week.  I relied strongly on a dietary supplement of around 3410ml of fermented hops per day.

Now I am old and I boulder/train 3 to 4 times per week.  I try to have a day off before going outside as my recovery times have increased- could be due to my only having 568ml of supplement per day now.

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:27:49 pm
T

I'd do a search and have a read, its silly thrashing these things out repeatedly. There's a wealth of information already in the diet training and injuries sectios. More than enough for you to make your own mind up if they are appropriate for you. Be wary of off the cuff comments that are either for or against supplementation its a lot more complex than that.

I hope that myprotein thing was a joke highonair, I really do.

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:31:01 pm
When I started climbing in 1992 (gasp), I climbed 5 or more times per week.  I relied strongly on a dietary supplement of around 3410ml of fermented hops per day.

Now I am old and I boulder/train 3 to 4 times per week.  I try to have a day off before going outside as my recovery times have increased- could be due to my only having 568ml of supplement per day now.
:) Yes, back in the early 90's I used similar dietry suppliments, also combined with approximately 8th ounce of of dried leaves per week....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:42:33 pm

:) Yes, back in the early 90's I used similar dietry suppliments, also combined with approximately 8th ounce of of dried leaves per week....

Tsktsk, you were diddled, should have used the flowers as opposed to the leaves  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 04:53:09 pm
Tsktsk, you were diddled, should have used the flowers as opposed to the leaves  ;)
Eh? Darjeeling flowers??  :shrug:

;)

highonair

• regular
#21 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 05:03:08 pm
T

I'd do a search and have a read, its silly thrashing these things out repeatedly. There's a wealth of information already in the diet training and injuries sectios. More than enough for you to make your own mind up if they are appropriate for you. Be wary of off the cuff comments that are either for or against supplementation its a lot more complex than that.

I hope that myprotein thing was a joke highonair, I really do.

lmao no wasnt a joke fella, just googled it and of all the brands ive used that one is new on me, ill dig deeper  :)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#22 Re: climbing frequency
February 17, 2009, 10:58:40 pm
I have found that if I train every 3rd day, so 2 rest days then a training day, I steadily improve and find it relativly easy to avoid injury.. I am rather busy and don't live near any actual rock so it is pretty easy to stick to this with out being distracted by, like, actual climbing.
When I started I climbed once a week (Scunthorpe Mountaineering Club nights at some leisure centre or other, WHOOP WHOOP). WHen ever I try to combine two training days and an actual climbing session on a weekend I have always got injured sooner or later.
Main thing is to enjoy climbing and not stress too much about getting better, it will happen anyway. And if in doubt, have a rest day or at least an easy day.

highonair

• regular
#23 Re: climbing frequency
February 18, 2009, 03:01:52 pm
cheers for the effort guys, its good to see what others are doing.  :)

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: climbing frequency
February 18, 2009, 05:47:46 pm
Play the long game and just enjoy the movement, the climbing. Forgive me, but it comes across like you wanna climb to get buff. If my elbows felt the way you describe I'd forget the wall and go swimming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal