UKBouldering.com

climbing frequency (Read 9569 times)

sendos

#25 Re: climbing frequency
February 18, 2009, 08:03:59 pm
I started bouldering last week, only done two sessions so far but planning on twice a week. Only issue is, combined with the gym 3 times a week thats like 3 sessions of pulling and 1 session of pushing, can see my elbows flaring up really quickly.. they've already started twinging and feeling weak whilst doing chins/bench :(. What do you guys reckon, carry on at the same volume and power through untill my body adapts to the workload (what i want to do because i enjoy it so much), or cut back to just one session a week and take it slower and ease my self in?

highonair

• regular
#26 Re: climbing frequency
February 18, 2009, 09:41:36 pm
Play the long game and just enjoy the movement, the climbing. Forgive me, but it comes across like you wanna climb to get buff. If my elbows felt the way you describe I'd forget the wall and go swimming.

:lol: i dont like to brag but im already plenty buff ;)ive a difficult job and was lifting big weight in the gym for years, im very extreme and passionate with the stuff i do, and i love climbing the movement is great my elbows can be painfull and throb if i do too much then ache in the joint for a week or longer if i cant let heal through work swinging a hammer all day and carrying gear up a ladder  dont help.  but climbing has not affected it as much as the gym did, so to explain i do two midweek circuits of press ups, dips, pull ups and core workout plus 2 runs (which dont hurt my arms unless they are bad) then on a friday i climb, now im finding it quite intence as i have had a fair bit of time off fitness 2 years to be precise due to my arms getting so bad, amazing how alcohol soothes the pain tho. :alky:

my  teenage days at the  gym i never looked after myself, didn stretch or warm up half as much as i should have but got that covered now icing my arms in icy cold water is magic something i never done but its great i do it everyday for between 30mins to an hour. i put deep heat on my arms before excersizing which helps the warm up and im stretching every spare moment ive got, ive wanted to climb all my life and never got round to it so dont wanna get injured and lose it, love it and aint even got outside yet BRING IT ON  :bounce:

Dan  :)

highonair

• regular
#27 Re: climbing frequency
February 18, 2009, 09:48:41 pm
I started bouldering last week, only done two sessions so far but planning on twice a week. Only issue is, combined with the gym 3 times a week thats like 3 sessions of pulling and 1 session of pushing, can see my elbows flaring up really quickly.. they've already started twinging and feeling weak whilst doing chins/bench :(. What do you guys reckon, carry on at the same volume and power through untill my body adapts to the workload (what i want to do because i enjoy it so much), or cut back to just one session a week and take it slower and ease my self in?

that what i done when i was in the gym just kept going the muscle was growing the strengh was improving then the elbows started to go by the time i was benching over 100kg i was in real pain and a 8 rep set of 3 was doing me for the week plus roofing at work on top of it i built the weight up too quick and the tendons was left behind, it really does pay to bind the time and build up slowly, it is hard i know 1st hand im so pumped about doing stuff whatever it be gym running climbing that i forget to listen to my body, strength takes over then my elbows go.

just take your time and go easy...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#28 Re: climbing frequency
February 19, 2009, 10:41:55 am
Hi guys, hope this helps. I started climbing again (mostly indoors, outside as and when) last january after about 15 years of climbing so little it might as well be nothing.
The first couple months I climbed once a week, then next twice a week then after about 6 months 3 times weekly. I've sustained this excepting about 3 months of injury, when returning I take it easy for about a month. Now I am injury prone, and 40, so my caution may not be necessary for everyone, but I'd strongly recommend building up slowly over months (not weeks).
If this seems like slow progress, try getting injured, having a lay off for a month  and rehabbing for a similar period : that's a good 2 months of 0% progress, well worth avoiding. And injuries can last ALOT longer than that, obviously.

highonair

• regular
#29 Re: climbing frequency
March 11, 2009, 06:24:03 pm
Sound advise, going back to the thread ive started increasing the amount of training i do and still putting my elbows in ice cold water for half an hour every time they ache, and im pleased to say so far so good,they seem to be hurting less and less for the amount of strain i keep putting on them bearing in mind im trying things each week ive not done and is harder  ;D i got a hang board in the end and have been doing it assisted using a foot board ive made with very small holds with my feet which is against the wall the other side of the door (legs lenght away), so im in a over hang position with my legs out, and its great, no problems and my grip/hold strengh is improving at a rate of knotts,ive even been daring and started doing low amounts of pull ups  ;D

ive also gone from twelve and a half stone to just over eleven and a half so im sure this helps too, not been this light for about 12 years  :lol: :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal