• forum hero
#2800 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 15, 2022, 05:13:54 pm
Aaarghh! Good luck Hosey.

sheavi

• menacing presence
#2801 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 15, 2022, 07:54:52 pm
Not one to moan but was mucking about with the kids at flip out Chester trampoline/parkour nonsense, and managed to completely rupture my right Achilles.  :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I'm used to the occasional prang that's an occupational hazard in wilderness and highball bouldering, but this is a bit of a setback.

As lockdown informed myself, as well as a lot of us, that these little forays among the pebbles is important for our mental health... Well I'm in full innovative scheming mode.

Anyone else had experience of this particular kick to the balls? :shit:

I'm a physio and ruptured mine on 20th Nov last year. I'm presuming you've had it potted, been referred to orthopaedics and placed on anticoagulants?? Any questions let me know. Good luck.

Cheers sheavi
Due to being seen by Ysbyty Gwynedd's answer to Charlie from casualty within a couple of hours of my prang, I got to see the consultant the next morning and put straight in a vacuped.
Consultant was happy enough to leave me to manage my boots protocol and see me in 8 weeks. (Skinny climbers ankles so he could see pretty clear what was going on). However, as I was still in the shockish stage of things and talked a good spiel, I am slightly worried they've put too much trust in me 😋.
Anticoagulant was a shock as it's my first experience of doing my own injections. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions further down the road, but I'll probably DM you if that's ok.

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is I keep weighting the boot, as crutches are never quite where you need them (or I need to carry a brew), am I going to hell?

Feel free to DM me.  Use your crutches!  As the consultant said to me "if you want to get back to climbing, follow the guidance"!  I had a long discussion with the consultant about surgery vs non-surgery (I went for non-surgery as per his advice and having looked at the evidence).  The outcomes are the same if you adhere to the rehab protocol and the separation of the tendon is within 10mm in full plantarflexion.  Surgery can cause other issues including sural nerve entrapment or infection ( a friend had this and it's caused real issues). 

Oh and use you crutches and stop weighting the foot ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2802 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 15, 2022, 08:25:25 pm
The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is I keep weighting the boot, as crutches are never quite where you need them (or I need to carry a brew), am I going to hell?

could solve the brew problem?? Also YOU won't be going to hell duh. But apparently, use your crutches!

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#2803 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 15, 2022, 09:03:05 pm
Understood!
Got a bit thrown by the sole on the vacuped.. realise I'm in it early. Oh well at least I can behave from now... :ang:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2804 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 15, 2022, 10:29:04 pm
I used those flask mugs with sealing lids to transport hot drinks from room to room when I was on crutches. I hung a little hessian bag off the handle of one of them.

Don’t look at not weighting it in terms of being good or bad, look at it in terms of how soon you’ll be able to walk again. You can always go and drop some litter or park in a disabled space after you’re better if you really need to feel like a rebel  ;).

slab_happy

• forum hero
#2805 Re: NNFN!!!!
February 19, 2022, 02:37:43 pm

Wheely office chair was life-saving when I was on crutches for a while. 

Also moving the kettle and coffee supplies to next to the chair where I was spending most of my time, so I didn't have to keep going to the kitchen and trying to carry drinks back.

FWIW, it helped keep me a bit saner to think of movement on crutches as its own form of exercise, with learnable techniques and potential antagonist training benefits for climbers (we don't tend to do much downwards weight-bearing through our hands). Treat it as cross-training!

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2806 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 11:23:57 am
Have fallen off rock and right knee has exploded into agony. Currently at A&E at the Northern General waiting to see what it is. Not ideal!

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#2807 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 12:04:08 pm
Strong vibes your way!
Legs are over rated anyway :no:

Stay positive if you can, have a gibber if you need to
Team UKB are here

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#2808 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 12:18:37 pm
Poor Wellsy. Hope it's something as manageable as it can be.

Feel free to PM me if you need some moral support as I'm accumulating an annoying but potentially useful amount of experience with knee injuries and the consequences  :whatever:

Paul B

• forum hero
#2809 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 01:46:58 pm
Bad news but ending up there after twatting yourself isn't so bad; they fixed me up very well!

Fingers crossed.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2810 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 02:29:39 pm
Damn, really sorry to hear that Wellsy. I’m at the dreaded Huntsman building every evening at the moment since Ms Cheque broke her leg the other week. Hopefully your knee injury doesn’t turn out to be as bad as hers.

As Paul says, they know what they’re doing. One of my consultants and my physio were climbers. There’s a wealth of knowledge on here from both sides of the situation as I’m sure you know.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2811 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 02:33:27 pm
LCL business of some sort. Probably not a complete break but more a sprain or tear. May need surgery may not. On crutches. Leg would best be described as "fucked" but hopefully not too bad. Probably off climbing at least until the knee clinic/physio in a month. Time to get really good at weighted pullups I guess.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#2812 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 02:47:56 pm
LCL business of some sort.
Welcome on board  :beer2: :slap: :no:

Time to get really good at weighted pullups I guess. Time to be extra careful to take it steady and not go overboard on upper body training as compensation because I really really don't want any fucking upper body injuries as well, trust Fiend on that.
:yes: :smartass: :yes: :smartass: :yes:

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2813 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 05, 2022, 03:31:51 pm
I will do my best. To say I'm fucked off would be an understatement but this is day 0 so will need to take it as it comes. I'm not good at sitting at home and my TV never gets turned on but Elden Ring just came out so that might get a fucking hammering.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#2814 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 06, 2022, 06:58:21 pm
LCL business of some sort. Probably not a complete break but more a sprain or tear. May need surgery may not. On crutches. Leg would best be described as "fucked" but hopefully not too bad. Probably off climbing at least until the knee clinic/physio in a month. Time to get really good at weighted pullups I guess.

Sorry to hear about this Wellsy.

FWIW, reading this, I'd be putting eggs in the optimistic basket, though that may not be how it feels now.
Get (or borrow, think I have a couple lying around) a brace and a campus board. You'll be a beast  ;D

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2815 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 06, 2022, 09:37:04 pm
Thanks mate. I hope that the optimism is well placed. And I might take someone up on the knee brace soon, that'd be helpful :)

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2816 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 14, 2022, 04:31:58 pm
Very much a first world problem, but I’m part way through applying for a long-stay french visa for a trip over 90 days.

It turns out that if you’re married to an EU national you can’t apply. How long does a divorce take?

Fucking Brexit

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2817 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 14, 2022, 04:57:51 pm
Do you even need one of you’re married to an EU national?

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2818 Re: NNFN!!!!
March 14, 2022, 05:23:22 pm
Do you even need one of you’re married to an EU national?

If she lived there and was working, or looking for a job it would be fine for me to stay.

But as we’re both UK based and don’t plan to work/re-locate (just a tourism trip) then I have to get a visa (as far as I can work out anyway).

There are some immigration lawyers who I’ve contacted too, but it’s so expensive even for a first consultation I’ve been holding off using them for now…

battery

• obsessive maniac
#2819 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 14, 2022, 12:23:12 pm
Dislocated my shoulder at the wall last night. Knew I should have done something outside in the nice weather. Had to be sedated so they could get it back in so now feel like I have a stinking hangover as well as no sleep and a fucking sore shoulder. Most painful thing that has ever happened to me, and I have had 2 children!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2820 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 14, 2022, 12:58:24 pm
Crap! Was it from falling off or pulling?

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2821 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 14, 2022, 02:56:21 pm
Rubbish news, hope it recovers quickly!

Paul B

• forum hero
#2822 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 14, 2022, 05:11:56 pm
Most painful thing that has ever happened to me, and I have had 2 children!

Sorry to hear that! On the plus side you'll be able to point at the left-hand end of the comparative pain scale for the rest of time?   :sick:

battery

• obsessive maniac
#2823 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 14, 2022, 05:14:06 pm
Pressing on a straight arm to rock over onto a high foot and the bottom foot slipped. The jarring popped my shoulder out - I was screaming before I hit the mat.

Wellsy

• forum hero
#2824 Re: NNFN!!!!
April 14, 2022, 06:41:21 pm
Unpleasant to say the least, sorry that happened to you battery, sounds wank

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal