UKBouldering.com

NNFN!!!! (Read 891335 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2050 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 07:18:09 am
Radius both sides. One hairline, one with some displacement that was set at the hospital in Austria. Off to our local orthopaedist now to check that it's all still properly aligned.

Both wrists at the same time really is a bummer but he's handling it well and being thankful for small victories: managed to put his own teeshirt on yesterday.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2051 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 08:24:14 am

: managed to put his own teeshirt on yesterday.

I have a perfectly healthy 7 year old who struggles with that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2052 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 08:26:48 am
Both wrists at the same time really is a bummer but he's handling it well
I see what you did there...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2053 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 10:32:55 am
Off to our local orthopaedist now to check that it's all still properly aligned.

A good idea. I broke my Radius age 6 and had it "set" by a doctor in South Africa. He didn't get it quite straight and it has been susceptible to injury ever since.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2054 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 11:22:54 am

He was in a Passat TDi, probably couldn't see me through the clouds of deadly smoke billowing out of his exhaust.

I had my T5 in for an MOT on Thursday, and the guy said it passed emissions test, I said "did it really though?!" He wasn't amused.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2055 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 11:51:47 am
Off to our local orthopaedist now to check that it's all still properly aligned.

A good idea. I broke my Radius age 6 and had it "set" by a doctor in South Africa. He didn't get it quite straight and it has been susceptible to injury ever since.

I work on the assumption that a Bones at a clinic in a ski area probably knows what he's doing with such things, but it certainly doesn't hurt to get it double checked.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2056 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 01:56:04 pm
Actually it might hurt a bit...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2057 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 06:37:34 pm
Good to know, thanks.

I seem to recall having a chat with you a while back about wrist protectors in snowboarding gloves. My son doesn't have them, and after the accident I mentioned to his teacher that we should probably get some. Not recommended for juveniles any more, sez he: the energy has to go somewhere. Better to sacrifice the wrist as a crumple zone that generally heals well, than protect the wrist and instead snap important parts of the elbow. (He mentioned some particularly vulnerable part of the elbow that I've forgotten the German name of and wouldn't know in English anyway)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2058 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 06:47:32 pm
I'm not entirely sure about what the teacher said. The aim of the wrist protectors is neither to absorb the impact nor to direct the energy towards the elbow. Good wrist protectors should simply allow the wrist to slide down the surface dispersing the energy in that way.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2059 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 07:06:37 pm
I bust a wrist snowboarding without protectors (icy Vermont conditions) - well I didnt get it Xrayed (2nd to last day) just strapped it up and it went various shades of purple over the next two weeks...

Since then I have ALWAYS worn protectors - seems nuts not to to me.. love to see the biomechanics SCIENCE behind the decision not to use them..

I'm shit at boarding - so always falling.. just seems to make sense to me...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#2060 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 07:47:52 pm
I've always worn Levels with wrist protectors, but my son switched from skiing - where he obviously never used them - and I went with what seems to be the general consensus over here of kids not wearing them.

Tbh as he's getting interested in fun parks - inevitably at his age - I'm more concerned about spine protectors.

UPDATE: seems you guys are right and my son's teacher is wrong. We should probably move any further discussion to the snooooowboarding thread.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:55:05 pm by Muenchener »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2061 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 14, 2015, 08:57:24 pm
Given the vulnerability of all those little Epiphyseal plates throughout the wrist and hand of a growing human and the more than accepted, science backed, wisdom; that damage there during the strenuous activity of climbing is likely to have lasting debilitating effects...

Protectors seem like a good idea.
My kids wear them for skating and BMX and that seems to be accepted practice in those sports and many others; with the logic stated by Nibs above.

[emoji848][emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse D

• forum hero
#2062 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 12:04:01 pm
Broke my leg last Tuesday playing football. External dislocation internal fracture ie ankle  bone sticking out of leg. Currently in bed feeling Shit from being full of antibiotics fighting off some additional skin infection in the leg.
Prognosis 6 weeks non weight bearing and 6 weeks partial.
Gonna have a fucked ankle for long time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2063 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 12:06:57 pm
Christ that sounds grim! Thanks for not posting pics.

Good luck with the healing.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2064 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 12:11:29 pm
 :agree:

Good luck getting better Dave!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2065 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 12:19:41 pm
Poor Scouse  :(

At least you've chosen the worst winter in the history of bouldering to take time out.

Prognosis sounds like a normal timescale to me.

I'm trying to think of *anyone* I know personally who has had a bad lower limb fracture and not got back into climbing at least as strongly as previously, and I can't.

Good luck and heal well.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#2066 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 12:24:30 pm
Ta everyone. That's good to hear fiend. Cheers.
Will feel Shit loads better once um off these antibiotics, will be able to get more up and about.

dave

#2067 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 12:31:29 pm
Christ that sounds grim! Thanks for not posting pics.

Believe me the xrays alone are bad enough. OOOOOF.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#2068 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 01:19:44 pm
I know it isn't in your hands but, from experience, the sooner you get weight on the ankle the better.

T_B

• forum hero
#2069 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 01:39:28 pm
Sh*t Dave, that's terrible. Hope it heals well and soon.

Who's your consultant? Chris Blundell seems to be the considered the best ankle man in Sheffield. When it comes to starting weight bearing, different people have very differing ideas in my (wife's - dislocation and fracture of ankle) experience.

As Fiend said, there are a lot of people around for whom this type of injury has become the catalyst for  :weakbench:

Scouse D

• forum hero
#2070 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 01:50:38 pm
Well I saw you campussing with your cast on and I'm keeping that as my inspiration! My op was done in Chesterfield so not sure what the physio situation is like. Both you and your wife are going great guns, maybe this is the break I needed...

T_B

• forum hero
#2071 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 01:57:04 pm
It's the consultant who'll sign off when you can start weight bearing. Thesedays you can choose who your consultant is, but it depends where you live as to what's practical - Blundell is at the Northern General. Good orthopaedic team there.

V early days for you I know but when it does come to the physio, more focus on addressing the inevitable imbalance between legs (so not just how mobile or not the ankle is) and less on my campussing ability would have been sensible, in hindsight. Something to keep in mind. I now have a v dominant right side and associated 'issues' building up no doubt.

dave

#2072 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 02:00:11 pm
the break I needed...

A break like that could have radically improved your footless skills.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2073 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 02:59:51 pm
Shit Scouse - thats terrible :(

Hope its a straightforward (as can be) recovery...

Lopez

• stalker
#2074 Re: NNFN!!!!
December 21, 2015, 03:27:01 pm
T_B's advice is very wise Scouse.

Honestly, do whatever you have to do to find the best Doctor you can get and head straight to him. Any doctor who tells you to spend 6 weeks non-weight bearing and who doesn't refer you for physio immediately should be shot in the knees with a 12 bore gun and be demoted to clean puke and toilets in the Hospital wards for the rest of his life, unpaid, while dwarfs in S&M outfits flog him with whips, and tazers, and... well, you get my drift...  :spank: :whip:

And get yourself a Beastmaker and a good periodization plan.  :weakbench:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal