UKBouldering.com

Are my shocks dead? (Read 2100 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Are my shocks dead?
January 30, 2009, 05:14:15 pm
After a hiatus away from biking me and the missus have just bought some second hand hardtails.  I'm not 100% sure on the terminology yet but they look like they have been used for playbiking or freeriding (does that make sense?) Mine seems to be a mishmash of parts. It has a Rocky Mountain frame and then random groupset (from LX to Avid).

I've just had it serviced by the nice man at Butterworths in Sheffield as it had been sitting in the rain for a while.  Everything seems to be working fine (weird match of shimano cog to SRAM twist) apart from the front shocks.  When I ride they always bottom out and stick at the lowest point. I've tried to adjust them with the twist caps on the top but I guess they might be fucked. 

Can any of you bike gurus tell me if they can be fixed (and how) or should I just man up and buy some new forks?  I'm probably going to use it a fair amount for general jumping around so it might be worth investing. I've also been looking at some of the bike tracks and trails in Sheffied and getting excited (BMX background). Do any of you guys in Sheff go out on a regular basis and would you mind a noob tagging along?

Cheers

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Are my shocks dead?
January 30, 2009, 05:29:04 pm

Give the make/model of fork and Fatdoc might have some info and whether or not they're worth servicing.

Used to go to Wincobank regular, got a bit put off Bolehills after all the bike thefts at knifepoint! The Chesterfield track is awesome but really too awesome for me...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Are my shocks dead?
January 31, 2009, 08:23:21 am
strip em, refill with oil... (get manual off www. first obviously) and retest... or sack it off and get a new / sale / second hand pair with a better pair for jumping.

Maz dirtjumpers my first recommendation - cheap, solid and heavy..

ensure your disc brakes have the same comaptability (post mount or IS standard fixing?)

BTW, it's a fork not a shock... and what is it?

more pics plz

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal