UKBouldering.com

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals - Cycle to Work (Read 8481 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals - Cycle to Work
November 10, 2008, 05:52:13 pm
Hi,

A few doctors/medical staff post on this site; quite a few people who post here live in Sheffield; quite a few people who post are keen cyclists.

I was wondering if there is anyone who falls into the intersection of these three and has any experience of utilising the 'Cycle to Work' initiative at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals (STH)?

Recently started asking around to find out about it and was passed a 10th January 2007 travel initiative that indicates that...

• STH has a Cycle Forum (Bicycle Users Group) : buggered if I can find any deatils about it.
  • Many local bike shops offer a discount to NHS staff and the Cycle Forum has negotiated a 10% discount with Langsett Cycles : doubly buggered if I can find any info on this
  • Work is on-going to develop the 'Cycle to Work' initiative : hahahahaha

Contacted some Travel Plan co-ordinator to ask how I could find out about the BUG, discount and current developments on the Cycle to Work initative, and received a very speedy reply (<2minutes) indicating that...

Quote from: Ms. I'm going to try and fob you off
Currently we are working towards the scheme and waiting to set a date
for the launch.  There are several departments involved in setting up
the scheme and not all have finalised.  There will be a communication
going out to all Trust employees as soon as we have a definite date.

As would be expected I laughed and then wrote back saying its abysmal that its taken 22 months and there appears to be no end point, and would she care to answer my other questions.

Anyway, all a bit of a rant, what I'm really posting for is to ask if anyone has any experience of having purchased bikes via this scheme whilst under the employment of STH?  If so could you shine a headlight on the matter please.

Cheers

slack  (whos too much of a cheapskate to just go out and buy myself a new bike!)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:10:24 pm by slack---line, Reason: typos »

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
My missus (Rotherham Consultant) gave up in the end.

One answer she got was that the scheme wasn't being implemented because it was unfair as 40% tax payers benefitted more than lower paid staff.

In the end we just bought a half price bike in a sale.

Sorry, not very helpful.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :thumbsdown: Booo!

On the plus side though I like a good challenge, and have no problem in firing off emails/writing letters in my lunch hour to pester people  :thumbsup:

fatkid2000

• junky
When I left STH in August, for pastures new in primary care, there was a rumour going around the anaesthetic department that STH was going to introduce cycle to work. Lots of the gasmen cycle, but I have not heard of any of them trying to purchase through the scheme since I left - and they were all looking into it. I think lots of people look at the scheme and in the end its easier just to buy a bike yourself.

There's a NHS group I think called links that may help.

Tir: Which route does your wife use to cycle to Rotherham Hospital - I'm being sent there in Feb, and am looking for a suitable route.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Fatkid,

try castleton... winnats.. over to stockport... and back via stoney... curbar... then chesser to finish off up the M1
 ;)

sorry...

try the area via m'hall (sauna included) and then *round the back*... IIRC it's near flat.. and well lit

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I think lots of people look at the scheme and in the end its easier just to buy a bike yourself.

Thats what kind of bugs me, its something the employer should set up and administer, and as an employee I should then be able to say to HR/Payroll, "I'd like to take advantage of this, can I have the forms" etc. much the same way that Pensions and enrolling in the Westfield Health Care are (anyone find it ironic that working for the NHS your offered private healthcare?).

The document I cite below (will post it from work tomorrow for anyone who's interested) specificlly states aims of encouraging people to use sustainable transport and more environmentally sound methods of commuting.  If they going to talk the talk, then they'd better be prepared to walk the walk  8)
There's a NHS group I think called links that may help.

Cool, cheers for the pointer, had a quick  :google: and found Spokes will have a read and see if they can provide any advice/support.

EDIT : Sister site Cycle NHS looks a bit more useful.

fatkid2000

• junky
Thank you for route guidance doc - that's how I get to  my current practice, but, once you get over from Meadowhall & into Rotherham its all dual carriage-way up  to the hospital and I'm trying to find a better way which is proving difficult.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Thank you for route guidance doc - that's how I get to  my current practice, but, once you get over from Meadowhall & into Rotherham its all dual carriage-way up  to the hospital and I'm trying to find a better way which is proving difficult.

I don't know how far it goes, but if you cross under the Tinsley Viaduct by "The Source" (conference center near the back of Meadowhall, tram stop right by it) then your on the towpath of the canal and could probably follow that for a bit at least.  Don't know how far you can go (or what direction your heading) and was on a lunch break from a bullshit staff training day at the Source on foot so didn't get much further than the third set of locks before turning back.

Might be a bit circuitous, but looks like you can follow the tow path most of the way into town, see (looks like you have to follow the northern branch).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
For anyone whos interested (seems there are a couple of people who might be affected here).

After innumerable emails back and forth I finally got a relatively honest answer about the state of the Cycle to Work scheme at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals.

The scheme was supposed to be roled out on the 17th October 2008 but has been delayed because of

• Change in chair of the steering group : What a load of toss, the person taking over should be up to speed and chairing meetings shouldn't in anyway hinder the activities of the group, they're just a co-ordinator FFS!!!
  • Awaiting approval of planned salary sacrafice scheme by HMRC : Fair enough it needs approving, but if you'd planned to roll out on the 17th why the fuck didn't you submit your plans in time to have them reviewed for this date.
  • Changes in legislation to maternity rights : I can only assume this is in relation to salary sacraficing but its a pain in the arse.

On a slightly lighter note it transpires that all STH staff are able to claim 10% discount at JE James and Langsett Cycles on production of their staff card  :thumbsup:  Not ideal but this might be the best option in the long run as STH transport seem to be a useless bunch of fools who sit around like this all day...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not relevant to many but I wasted half a day of my life yesterday under duress to attend a corporate induction afternoon of sleep inducing boredom.

It was however mentioned that the Cycle to Work scheme is now due to be rolled out in January 2009 and both JE James and Langsett Cycles are participating.  I know where I'll be heading in January then  :thumbsup:

fatkid2000

• junky
According to my wife who works at the RHH at the moment STH are opening up a bike to work scheme in February - its only open for 2 weeks though from around the 14th. I'm afraid thats all the info I have - but thought it may be of some use to somebody.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
According to my wife who works at the RHH at the moment STH are opening up a bike to work scheme in February - its only open for 2 weeks though from around the 14th. I'm afraid thats all the info I have - but thought it may be of some use to somebody.

I can (vaguely) confirm this, its part of their "i-Choose" scheme that allows people to get bikes and yearly travel passes udner a salary sacrafice scheme.

I contacted the department involved after reading about it the magazine crap that gets sent round quarterly and I think the window for signing up/taking advantage of the scheme runs from February to the end of the financial year.  Will post more solid details when I find out about them shortly for those who are interested.

One bonus though is that you won't be restricted to Halfords and you can get your bikes from JE James ( :thumbsdown:) and Langsett Cycles ( :thumbsup:).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
For those who work in North Derbyshire;

Chesterfield Royal has signd in to a similar deal, shops include j e james  :thumbsdown:

and also Stanley Fearns at Matlock  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Sausage

• forum abuser
I've just started looking into getting a new bike under the scheme (i refuse to call it i-Choose - WTF is that all about?). I'm getting a slight whiff of disgruntlement about James' cycles. Why? Should I avoid them or will they be OK for just buying a new bike? Why should I go to Langsett cycles instead?
Cheers, Joe

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Go and have a look round both shops, it will be quite clear

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
(i refuse to call it i-Choose - WTF is that all about?).
Blame Apple for the whole annoying iWhatever thing.

fatkid2000

• junky
I maybe totally wrong here - but I thought you could buy any bike you wanted as long as it was less than around £1k. I think if this is the case then Halfords will source it - otherwise you can use the other shops such as James's. Going to James's is what you may call an interesting experience!! Go to Stan's in Matlock if that's the choice!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Okay at work now and have the email from STH's Travel Plan Co-ordinator.

fatkid2000 was right there is only a very short window to register, running from launch on the 13th February (I wait with baited breath to see if this actually happens!!!) and closing on 6th March.

The other details I have are...

Quote from: Claudia Morris, STH Travel Plan Co-ordinator
Purchasing under the scheme:
Select your bike from any Cyclescheme approved retailer.  You can find these by visiting www.cyclescheme.co.uk.
Get a written quotation from the retailer.  You can choose a bike and any safety equipment up to a maximum of £1,500.
Send your application form (available on the leaflets) with the quotation to the i-Choose Coordinator at Payroll Services.
Once approved, you will be sent a voucher with which to purchase your bike and safety equipment.

The deductions are taken from your gross (before tax) salary over a period of 12 months - commencing in April 2009.  Effectively you will be leasing the bike from the Trust for the first 11 months and the bike will become yours on your final payment.  The saving you will make is the amount of Income Tax and National Insurance you would have paid on the deductions.

I have a strong suspicion it will take them four months to process the quotes and dispatch the vouchers, but I'd love to see the cynic in me proved wrong  :)

I'm getting a slight whiff of disgruntlement about James' cycles. Why?

I've found staff in Sheffield JE James to be a bit aloof at times and they just want to make the sale whereas Langsett are really friendly and far more helpful.

Blame Apple for the whole annoying iWhatever thing.

Apple have a lot to answer for (I'm off to Room 101 now).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
And microsoft dont  :spank:

Hmmm... i dont think any of this helps me... there again I'm not in the market for a new bike.. if i were i reckon it could actually work!!! having to wait for theose vouchers looks dodgy to me though....

shame you cant just buy a fork  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal