UKBouldering.com

Phone wifi problems (Read 2240 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero
Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 12:18:14 am
I'm sporting the N95, debranded an updated to the latest firmware. Problem is I can only surf when i manually put in the DNS and a fixed IP.  I'm thinking that this is going to suck if I want to use free public wifi. Couple of questions for the savvy:

I'm now using an open DNS address, can I enter this without a fixed IP?

Is there a utility that can tell me what a broadcasting networks IP and submask will be?

Or is there some other patch or software that can fix this?

Yours in anticipation........

PS My phone seems to also be a bit more stable now the screen rotate is switch off

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 12:39:37 am
Mine's debranded. I think I only put in the IP info for using Orange Internet.

For using wifi I just use the "WLAN scanning" dialogue from the main screen. When a wireless network is detected I just pick "start web browsing" and it works fine.

I think I may be missing your point  :-\

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 12:52:33 am
Quite  :P

What sort of info would a tool like this give me

http://www.symbian-freeware.com/download-barbelo.html

I hear that the new version may have cracking ability for my friend in jail

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 12:55:15 am

I'll await Slack--Line's superior geekism :lol:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 06:21:47 am
was going to answer similar to bubba, use default settings and just go to wlan scanner and start browsing.
If you've not done it, after debranding, I highly recomend a hard reset (*#7370*) to reset everything on the phone, obviously you need to back up all your data, phone numbers etc... first otherwise you'll lose everything.
anyway, bag symbian off, HTC and windows mobile is the way forward IMO I'm loving my modified diamond

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 07:59:59 am

I'll await Slack--Line's superior geekism :lol:
;D

Afraid I've not a clue where to start on this unfortuantely.  I'm not too shit hot on mobile phones and whilst I own an N95 pretty much do as Bubba describes for browsing over wifi.

I'd imagine though that if you've put in a DNS then that will work irrelevant of what your IP address is.  You get your IP address from whatever DHCP (Dynamic Host Client Protocol) server the wireless access point assigns you.  Most wireless APs will have some DNS servers set up, but if you have one entered manually then your phone should use that (at least if its anything like my computer).

Not sure about the Barbelo software, doesn't seem very descriptive on the page.  It says its like Kismet so I'd imagine it will be able to pick up that information.

Where abouts are you trying to connect to a wireless AP?  If its at home and your wireless router have you checked that the DHCP server is running to give out IP address' when requested?  Check whether your router has enough spare DHCP leases too.  You could also try setting a static IP address for your phones MAC address.  Does this happen when your using your providors network connection as opposed to the WiFi?

I've found the forums at n95users.com to be useful when I've had some questions about my phone.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 09:03:12 am
Thanks for the reply guys

Jim/Bubba - The Web wizard stuff doesn't work, although I can get connected to the wifi I get the 'no gateway reply' error.  I've also done a hard reset after debranding. Setting a static IP and assigning DNS works though :-\

Slackline -I think this has more to do with the firmware on my Linksys wireless router.  I haven't tried to connect away from home yet so should try that today. The gateway for T-mobile is fine though (as I have to pay ::)) The router is giving out addresses but it has always been a bit flaky.

So is it possible to just assign a DNS and then allow DCHP to assign IP?

N95 forum is where I've been looking at the moment, but you have to wade through a bunch of shit. I blame the PHP search function

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 09:49:35 am

Slackline -I think this has more to do with the firmware on my Linksys wireless router.  I haven't tried to connect away from home yet so should try that today. The gateway for T-mobile is fine though (as I have to pay ::)) The router is giving out addresses but it has always been a bit flaky.

What model router is it?  If its one of the older ones (WRT54G* family, and generally earlier models of them) then you can update the firmware as Linksys originally released them with a customised Linux OS that they were obliged to release the source code for.  Smart people then took this and built on it and have added tons of functionality and more control to the routers.

Most common and widely used it OpenWRT.  Their wiki will tell you if your model is supported.

So is it possible to just assign a DNS and then allow DCHP to assign IP?

Yep, should be fine, they're completely separate process' (at least on the Linux systems I use).

N95 forum is where I've been looking at the moment, but you have to wade through a bunch of shit. I blame the PHP search function

:-\ The one I linked below has Google embedded for the search  :shrug: but there is a load of crap on there to wade through first  :thumbsdown:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Phone wifi problems
January 16, 2009, 02:21:38 pm
Forgot to add, even if your router isn't one of the older hackable models, there may still be a firmware upgrade available from Linksys that may resolve any problems you have.

Check their site here to find out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal