Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#177 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 11, 2009, 07:50:45 pm
For the love of God this is not news.

P.S. Nigel, clearly don't don't read UKC, you lucky chap.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#178 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 11, 2009, 09:13:26 pm

P.S. Nigel, clearly don't don't read UKC, you lucky chap.

If that's directed at me, not going to shitty websites is a choice. If not, such is life, but the previous comment still stands.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#179 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 11, 2009, 09:26:07 pm
Nope it was to Nigel. You are n_man. ;)

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#180 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 02:55:15 pm
To be honest if it was me in Scottys place, I'd be tempted NOT to post any videos or photos of the alleged ascent as a kind of payback to the doubters. Two finger up at the lot of ya  :P

This of course, kind of assumes that there are bugger all skeletons in the closet.

It's a line of thinking though.

dave

#181 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 03:02:25 pm
yeah, its called cutting off your nose to spite your face. "hey, why don't I drop my credibilty to zero, that'll really teach 'em" etc etc. doesn't work.

northern yob

• stalker
#182 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 03:29:09 pm
this is fucking genius!!

da-funda-mentalist

#183 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 03:43:26 pm
Let's all have a good old fashioned lynching with pitchforks and axe handles. Hell lets burn him at the stake for his witchcraft!!! :guilty:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#184 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 04:06:04 pm
Must we endure these continual comments that this is somehow a witch hunt? Less entertaining than it would be to hunt a witch, it's more a painstaking request for justifiably requested evidence.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#185 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 04:20:58 pm
Amen,
If this guy isn't bothered about what people think and is climbing for himself etc....  :yawn:
please make your 8a.nu scorecard private and tell your mates not to report what you've claimed to have done etc... so we don't have to endure these bullshit discussions everytime

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#186 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 05:05:42 pm
Amen,
If this guy isn't bothered about what people think and is climbing for himself etc....  :yawn:
please make your 8a.nu scorecard private and tell your mates not to report what you've claimed to have done etc... so we don't have to endure these bullshit discussions everytime

Would they be easier to endure if you were less actively participating in them?
These ascents are significant, but if there's so much angst about their veracity, well.... why not contact the guy directly? He certainly isn't going to respond to this thread if he hasn't already done so.

north_country_boy

• junky
#187 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 05:30:44 pm
A few points:

It is not a witchhunt.

He has been contacted. And has replied. But is currently in Font.

He repeatedly 'publicises' these ascents by using 8a.nu

He has provided no evidence.

His return may lead to more clarity.

Until which time, people wait.....

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#188 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 05:41:05 pm
if he floats - he's a witch (burn him)

if he drowns - he's innocent (what a shame he's dead).

thank you one and all for this entertaining thread. It has been a slow day at the office.

time for beer :beer2:

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#189 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 06:26:23 pm
yeah, its called cutting off your nose to spite your face. "hey, why don't I drop my credibilty to zero, that'll really teach 'em" etc etc. doesn't work.

Depends how much you let that get to you, though?

If you're happy in your own head with whats been claimed, f*ck 'em all.

:shrug:

Paul B

• forum hero
#190 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 06:33:18 pm

Depends how much you let that get to you, though?

If you're happy in your own head with whats been claimed, f*ck 'em all.

:shrug:

I spoke to Scott this morning on MSN (he's back from Font) and I'm pretty sure this is the way he's going. He seemed to be well aware of this thread and didn't appear to have any intention of posting or anything else. So I'm afraid that's that.

I think Jim summarised it quite well if a little aggressively.

Liam, (trying to avoid shooting the messenger here) I wouldn't go writing any similar articles.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#191 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 06:37:14 pm
To be honest if it was me in Scottys place, I'd be tempted NOT to post any videos or photos of the alleged ascent as a kind of payback to the doubters. Two finger up at the lot of ya  :P

This of course, kind of assumes that there are bugger all skeletons in the closet.

It's a line of thinking though.
Yes it's a line of thinking and it's also a bullshitters sole alibi and as such it serves to convince most people that you are a bullshitter after all. So if you really aren't a bullshitter it's a very high price to pay for a very weak form of payback. Surely proving your doubters wrong in spectacular fashion with an amazing film will give more lasting satisfaction  :shrug:.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#192 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 06:40:10 pm
Personally I'd be more bothered about UKC removing me as a news item than a thread on here. If UKC won't publicise your ascents when they would a couple of months back summats up.

Surely proving your doubters wrong in spectacular fashion with an amazing film will give more lasting satisfaction

Got to agree with this. In one fell swoop they'll be eating humble pie and sponsors would be fighting over you.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#193 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 09:09:43 pm
Nope it was to Nigel. You are n_man. ;)

But my name is    :jaw:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#194 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 09:19:53 pm
A few points:

He has been contacted. And has replied. But is currently in Font.

actually he was down the works just now (but  i don't have photos to prove it so you'll have to take my word for it) ;)

....but he was there, i didn't see him myself shy yorkshireman told me

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#195 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 09:21:35 pm
... and?

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#196 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 09:23:00 pm
actually he was down the works just now (but  i don't have photos to prove it so you'll have to take my word for it) ;)

Is the future for the poor lad? UKB stalkers until someone sees him do something hard?  ;D

ferret

• forum abuser
#197 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 09:33:05 pm
sat in bishop on a glorious day, resting my beleagured skin, struggling to beleive this thread has run to 10 pages!!

this all seems very far removed from the experience of climbing at the buttermilks yesterday, feelling around for non holds on imaculate grain, gettin bouted by easily graded slabs and generally having a fab time.

cant really be arsed to go thru this thread lookin for quotes  but a few points stand out;

all public reports seem to hav come from scotts m8s, not much trumpet blowin goin on by the man himself (maybe they shud keep quiet?)

his 8a score card is a private log book, not in the public rankings

the hardest thing i hav ever climbed down the works (despite climbing their regularly) is 3 grades easier than i hav climbed on rock

dense (although i love him to bits) is well known to just throw out those flippant cynical coments (life wud be more boring without them) this is not substance to publicly call somebody a liar

other climbers hav a kept a low key approach and seemed to hav climbed hard lines from nowhere (micky page and to a certain extent mick adams being examples) and are certainly not fibbing

this guy doesnt seem to hav just landed any huge sponsorship deal based on his dubious? accents, so hes not defrauding any hard working well documented sponsored climbers out of any slice of the very small pie available

my suggestion wud be to go climbing hav fun and forget this whole debacle as it seems to be rapidly balooning out of proportion, if scotts accents are for real, im sure they will continue at a similar level and will be witnessed sooner or later, if not it will become abundantly clear that it was all bullshit and will fade from view. either way 10 pages of this thread are not really adding a positive vibe to uk climbing as a whole.

hav fun all

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#198 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 10:43:02 pm
other climbers hav a kept a low key approach and seemed to hav climbed hard lines from nowhere (micky page and to a certain extent mick adams being examples) and are certainly not fibbing

I never quite understand this. If they are so low key, how does everyone know about it?

my suggestion wud be to go climbing hav fun and forget this whole debacle as it seems to be rapidly balooning out of proportion, if scotts accents are for real, im sure they will continue at a similar level and will be witnessed sooner or later, if not it will become abundantly clear that it was all bullshit and will fade from view. either way 10 pages of this thread are not really adding a positive vibe to uk climbing as a whole.

Hear, hear!

Paul B

• forum hero
#199 Re: The Promise Flashed
January 12, 2009, 10:47:24 pm

I never quite understand this. If they are so low key, how does everyone know about it?

people are very shocked when they're at the crag and somebody dispatches something hard quickly, they then go "who's that", people then respond with Ned/Dan/Micky/Dolph etc. the cover is blown!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal