UKBouldering.com

anti pump sleeves!! (Read 15387 times)

DubDom

• menacing presence
anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 01:54:34 pm
http://www.quechua.com/EN/vuarde-sleeve-33849275/#product-details

Anyone seen these? any thoughts? Preferably one or two sensible ones, although judging by the product that may be hard!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:02:01 pm

You're not seriously considering these are you?

Tell you what instead, give me £30 and I'll cut the toes off an old pair of socks for you (I'll even make sure they're clean) and you can slip them over your forearms.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:11:13 pm
Don't be too quick to judge slack. I was really struggling with At the Heart of it All until I donned a pair of these.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:13:18 pm

You're not seriously considering these are you?

Tell you what instead, give me £30 and I'll cut the toes off an old pair of socks for you (I'll even make sure they're clean) and you can slip them over your forearms.

Don't be daft, they are much more hi-tec than that. You need to cut the arms off an old wetsuit. Although I can testify that wearing a wetsuit definitely does not stop your arms from getting tired.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:17:50 pm
Where's the SCIENCE to back up their claims?!  :read:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:19:17 pm
Don't be too quick to judge slack. I was really struggling with At the Heart of it All until I donned a pair of these.

And look what they did to your bicep Mono!

Don't be daft, they are much more hi-tec than that. You need to cut the arms off an old wetsuit. Although I can testify that wearing a wetsuit definitely does not stop your arms from getting tired.

Now theres a man who put some thought into his reply.

@DubDom : Sorry for the flippancy, but even if they do what they say on the tin, the benefit will be neglible compared to a proper training routine, although I'm sure it would provide plenty of entertainment for your friends at the wall/crag/boulders.

Magpie wears the leg version from time to time I believe, she might have some insight on any perceived benefits.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:20:01 pm
The SCIENCE

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:32:12 pm
Magpie wears the leg version from time to time I believe, she might have some insight on any perceived benefits.
Mine are purely for style purposes, as anyone who has seen them will know  8)  They have the added benefit of keeping me extra cosy.  I actually have arm versions too, my findings so far are that I still climb like shit while wearing them but that I do always have warm arms.

I wouldn't bother if I were you, the ones you linked to aren't even a pretty colour  ???

rich d

• forum hero
#8 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:39:59 pm
Mine are purely for style purposes, as anyone who has seen them will know  8)  They have the added benefit of keeping me extra cosy.  I actually have arm versions too, my findings so far are that I still climb like shit while wearing them but that I do always have warm arms.

I wouldn't bother if I were you, the ones you linked to aren't even a pretty colour  ???

What unlike their tousers?

http://www.quechua.com/EN/search-results-4127749/?text=cropped&combo=4218287&language=EN&siteId=788320&central=7&store=&subdpt=4218287&sousrayon=CLIMBING

Monolith

• forum hero
#9 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 02:48:24 pm
Do as the G does; wear Boreals, climb on a home made board at 50 degrees with smeary screw ons, crap pinches and 2mm edges and you'll get infinitely better gains. Now that is SCIENCE.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#10 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 04:46:12 pm

No, I wouldn't drop £30 on these,

Although you could use a bit of tubigrip, you'd probably be able to get that for free, or very cheap. It's a while since I had any elbow trouble, but I remember having a couple of pieces to stop my elbows hurting, can't remember it helping with the pump though. I'm used to wearing armwarmers on the bike too. I imagine climbers would laugh at that too!

I was more curious whether there was some sports science to back this one up.

Do as the G does; wear Boreals, climb on a home made board at 50 degrees with smeary screw ons, crap pinches and 2mm edges and you'll get infinitely better gains. Now that is SCIENCE.

I'm afraid that is the SCIENCE of SPORTS INJURY for me

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 04:51:30 pm
I'm used to wearing armwarmers on the bike too. I imagine climbers would laugh at that too!
Come climbing with me, nobody will laugh at you then, regardless of what you wear.

Monolith

• forum hero
#12 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 04:57:00 pm
There's a fine line between performance and injury. Know your limits. And then rape them.

JonI

• regular
#13 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 08:08:04 pm
I think there's some evidence that they lessen fatigue by reducing vibration in the muscles.  I doubt there's any benefit for most people though, unless you're training like a spanish comp climber or something.
However, there's always the placebo effect... which I like to maximise by wearing my compression suit in an ice bath, strapped to a tens machine while mainlining creatine serum.
Failing that, you could just train harder ;).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 11, 2008, 09:02:09 pm
What is the Placebo effect? Singing crap songs in a high whiny voice?

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#15 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 12, 2008, 01:53:01 pm
The only thing these would be useful for would be the odd grit problem that i've scrapped up my fore arms on.

But in a strange masochistic way i like them byrning in he shower that evening....

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 12, 2008, 02:17:46 pm
Plus they would reduce that rock / skin friction as you claw your way up a slopey rounded topout.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#17 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 12, 2008, 03:30:30 pm
The only thing these would be useful for would be the odd grit problem that i've scrapped up my fore arms on.

But in a strange masochistic way i like them byrning in he shower that evening....

That is soooo street

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 12, 2008, 03:43:27 pm

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#19 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 12, 2008, 03:45:38 pm
And a little kinky  :spank:

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#20 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 12, 2008, 04:29:23 pm

Burning in the Shower that evening....

Was holding my daughter while typing that! I'm not street i'm afraid, i'm the Sir David Frost of the 'Bouldering scene'  :-[

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 17, 2008, 09:29:59 pm
jesus fucking christ.
while having an argument about training, with an idiot on an italian board, i checked his profile, to be sure if he was a wad as he pretended ("i live in font, i don't train, i just climb" the usual s*** that neil says... ;) ), and what did i find if not a picture of him climbing with a tank top and the anti pump sleeves?
naturally the question about wadness was immediately solved.
it solved also the other question "will they ever sell at least one pair of those?"

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
November 18, 2008, 07:22:27 am
jesus fucking christ.
while having an argument about training, with an idiot on an italian board, i checked his profile, to be sure if he was a wad as he pretended ("i live in font, i don't train, i just climb" the usual s*** that neil says... ;) ), and what did i find if not a picture of him climbing with a tank top and the anti pump sleeves?
naturally the question about wadness was immediately solved.
it solved also the other question "will they ever sell at least one pair of those?"

:lol: nice one Nibs!

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#23 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
January 01, 2009, 12:50:57 pm

I was more curious whether there was some sports science to back this one up.

After a random bit of surfing I stumbled across this:
http://journal.shouxi.net/html/qikan/jcyxyswyxgc/yyslxzz/20051210012/wzjh/20080831031604348_373804.html
There's also a review here:
http://www.sportechblog.com/2008/09/quechua-vuarde-sleeve/#more-378  though it's in Italian so I don't know how we could get that translated :whistle:

They appear to offer slight but significant benefits (on paper), but not enough to make me part with that much cash. I might experiment with a couple of lengths of Tubegauze and a long sleeved tee to hide the evidence.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#24 Re: anti pump sleeves!!
January 13, 2009, 12:49:04 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4136018.stm

nice bit explaining paula's compression socks here. I can't believe that the benefits that apply to marathon running would apply to climbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal