UKBouldering.com

Da News (Read 1532770 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4200 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 12:33:04 pm
Instances like this where statistics are incorrectly represented, dumbed down or not given the correct context do more harm than damage, so why purposefully perpetuate the mis-representation?

It only results in mis-understanding by those who don't know its wrong and prompts me to post explanations, which is often construed as pedantry, but as a statistician I feel some obligation to correct mis-representations and offer some clarification, although its certainly not through any sense of superiority to anyone else on my behalf though as I don't think people are dumb, but that they may not be aware of the intricacies of statistics, just as there are many things I don't know about*.

:shrug:

* I increasingly wonder why I bother though, I should probably just shut up and constrain my posting to videos & pictures. 

:sorry:  :offtopic:

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4201 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 12:52:50 pm
What's railing against a sloppy use of English got to do with statistics?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4202 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 01:00:12 pm
Because language is how we converse and communicate the statistics to each other.  :shrug:

Obviously I'd no idea that you "knew" it was a mis-representation because I can't read minds and haven't met everyone on the forums, nor know their backgrounds and whether or not they know anything about statistics, which is why I linked to some explanations that some people just might have found useful.  It wasn't at all clear to me that you were railing against sloppy english.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4203 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 01:09:13 pm
Notwithstanding my own first post on this also contained an example of sloppy use of English - not having been proof-read.

Duma

• forum hero
#4204 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 01:32:33 pm
Obviously I'd no idea that you "knew" it was a mis-representation because I can't read minds and haven't met everyone on the forums, nor know their backgrounds and whether or not they know anything about statistics, which is why I linked to some explanations that some people just might have found useful.  It wasn't at all clear to me that you were railing against sloppy english.
I too "can't read minds and haven't met everyone on the forums, nor know their backgrounds and whether or not they know anything about statistics". I did however, know immediately what ARFK was on about. I really think this over explanation of everything is more down to your inability to read posts in context (of the thread, of the board, of the poster, etc etc) rather than anyones' misleading posts.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4205 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 01:38:25 pm
A lot of context is lost when put into text which is likely the problem I have with interpreting them in the manner in which they are meant.

I should probably just shut up and constrain my posting to videos & pictures. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#4206 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 02:07:30 pm
I wonder if this news item applies to any members of this forum..... ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17274186

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4207 Da News
March 13, 2012, 02:20:50 pm
Instances like this where statistics are incorrectly represented, dumbed down or not given the correct context do more harm than damage, so why purposefully perpetuate the mis-representation?

It only results in mis-understanding by those who don't know its wrong and prompts me to post explanations, which is often construed as pedantry, but as a statistician I feel some obligation to correct mis-representations and offer some clarification, although its certainly not through any sense of superiority to anyone else on my behalf though as I don't think people are dumb, but that they may not be aware of the intricacies of statistics, just as there are many things I don't know about*.

:shrug:

* I increasingly wonder why I bother though, I should probably just shut up and constrain my posting to videos & pictures. 

:sorry:  :offtopic:

Frankly, I enjoy said explanations.

Possibly, because I'm a bit of a Geek...

Do carry on, a little context never hurt anything.

Although, it can be a little demeaning to be on the wrong end of one of your "clarifications"...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4208 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 02:31:22 pm
Although, it can be a little demeaning to be on the wrong end of one of your "clarifications"...

I used to write explanations myself, now as above I just link to existing materials.  I certainly never intend to put anyone down but if thats how its construed (as several have suggested) I won't bother with the linking either.

After all this thread was meant to be about...

...those ridiculous/hilarious/outrageous news stories you come across...

Anyway  :offtopic:

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#4209 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 02:35:42 pm
"It's not really surprising because red meat consumption has been linked to an increased risk of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and cancer," said Dr. Frank Hu, professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health

OK for him, isn't it?

If one heart packs in, he can fall back on the other one.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4211 Re: Da News
March 13, 2012, 03:14:41 pm
I wonder if this news item applies to any members of this forum..... ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17274186

Good article!

They play on teams with names like Alfa Geek, Purple Pain and I See Lead People.

:lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4212 Re: Da News
March 14, 2012, 11:01:27 am
Executive Director of Goldman Sachs quits and tells everyone why in no uncertain terms:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.htm

Stubbs

#4214 Re: Da News
March 14, 2012, 01:16:53 pm
Greg Smith is resigning today as a Goldman Sachs executive director and head of the firm’s United States equity derivatives business in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

I looked at the entry for equity derivatives on Wikipedia and understood 0% of it, I don't think I want to, as it's only likely to make me more depressed about the world!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4215 Re: Da News
March 14, 2012, 01:19:36 pm
That Mash piss take is fucking brilliant.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4216 Re: Da News
March 14, 2012, 01:31:24 pm
Good item on the culture show the other week (or some similar program) - the Mash is written by a Glaswegian living in a rather nice looking french farm house - which I suspect its from his Mash spoils... really dry (almost boring to interview) guy - but funny...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

metal arms

• menacing presence
#4218 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 02:49:09 pm
Stupid Bint

I hope it really fuckin' hurt.  Dickhead.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4219 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 03:02:59 pm
On seeing the URL I was hoping for some Father Ted style escapades.

Maybe lagerstarfish could provide some insight into how much broken ankles hurt?

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#4220 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 03:36:41 pm
I broke my ankle falling from the top of the Craggy Island bouldering wall in 2005. It took about 6 months to get better and sometimes still twinges.

It was probably the first or second time I ever went bouldering too.

However, I didn't think of sueing them really, as I acknowledge that jumping down 10 feet or so is always going to involve some risk, especially if you're a bit out of control.

I didn't need to throw for the last jug, and I could have climbed down instead. It's just implicit in the activity that there is risk involved. I'm very surprised she's winning on this one!

Not good for the wall either as if it loses its insurance premiums will rise, which might have to be reflected back onto the customers in costs.

lmarenzi

• regular
  • Receptionist at Comici, Buhl, Dawes & Sharma, Ltd
  • Punter
#4221 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 04:04:15 pm
Rocksteady, did your fall involve helicoptering down?

A mate of mine just did his ankle on Crescent Arete despite falling clean onto the mat. I reckon it was the spinning motion that did for him.

Your foot can catch easier in a pad than on the ground, depending on 1000 imponderables, probably ...

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#4222 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 04:56:07 pm
I fell sort of outwards, but relatively straight, but there were people chatting on the mat and the indentation caused by their feet caused an incline on the mat where I fell. So as I landed I rolled to one side and heard it crunch.

lmarenzi

• regular
  • Receptionist at Comici, Buhl, Dawes & Sharma, Ltd
  • Punter
#4223 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 06:00:57 pm
Heading to Font next month and want to come back walking, so lessons learnt so far are

mat needs to be as flat as possible
come straight down onto it

cheers

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#4224 Re: Da News
March 16, 2012, 06:22:14 pm

Heading to Font next month and want to come back walking, so lessons learnt so far are

mat needs to be as flat as possible
come straight down onto it

cheers

Better still, don't fall off ....... 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal