UKBouldering.com

Banned from Cocktalk (Read 77574 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#151 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 12:54:18 am
Oo err. I'm afraid Ive been working half nine till six (not got the same ring to it as nine to five unfortunately) of late so haven't responded. What a total anticlimax this will be.

Basically there was a video of Leah Crane bouldering some pretty mean problems and I said:

"Lets not mince words.
You would"

Obviously seeing as there's a whole thread dedicated to this kind of perversion on UKB I thought that this would be acceptable behaviour. Ryan deemed not so and sent me this email:

"Hi Will,
Leah Crane thread. I won't mince words here.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=312906
> by - Will Hunt on - 22:10 Fri ->> > cpc1-leed6-0-0-cust934.leed.cable.ntl.com>> > [Message moved from Editors Choice: VIDEOS - Leah Crane bouldering>> Font 7c & 7b+ by Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com]>> > In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:>>>> > Lets not mince words.>> > You would.
Your words are abuse, internet abuse against a female.
You are banned until we get a full apology and a promise that you>> won't write such nonesense again.
Best regards,
Mick"

To which I replied:

"I see that once again UKC has suffered from a sense of humour failure, shame."

To which I received:

"What you may say in a pub, if you want, or to your mates outside, to asmall group, is different than what you can say on a public forum thatis open to all, and further, recorded for posterity. You basically said that you wouldn't mind shagging the person inquestion and asked others if they agreed. Keep those thoughts to yourself rather than letting everyone know. There's no sense of humour loss anywhere here. We know what humour is- it isn't childish, crude and sexist remarks. Cheers, Mick"

I wasn't bothered about the forum banning but I use the logbook a LOT. I really really need to get my hands back on my access privileges to the logbook so may have to request forgiveness (oh the shame) so that I can use that again and abstain from the forums.

Paul B

• forum hero
#152 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 01:05:23 am
I don't see how it's a sexist comment. I'm sure if there was a bloke that took Will's fancy he wouldn't hesitate to make the same comment.

Use 8a.nu instead, then you get points  :great:

Stubbs

#153 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 01:44:59 am
I wasn't bothered about the forum banning but I use the logbook a LOT.

Biro + Guidebook  :shrug:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#154 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 08:18:57 am
"Hi Will,
Leah Crane thread. I won't mince words here.
Your words are abuse, internet abuse against a female.
You are banned until we get a full apology and a promise that you>> won't write such nonesense again.
Best regards,
Mick"

How exactly is that "abuse"? What a cock Ryan is. I realised he was a bit of a tree hugging, overly PC type (or at least likes to project that image) but now he reveals himself as none other than.........Millie Tant. Perhaps he should chop his dick off to prevent him from seeing himself as a potential rapist. Jesus.

Well done for not apologising Will. Just write a spreadsheet for your logbook or as Paul says get an 8a.LOOKATME!! account.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#155 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 08:20:52 am
That's a real anticlimax, Will.
Personally I can't see why they couldn't just delete the post and send you a slap on the wrist e-mail.  But it's their site the bunch of fascists so they can be as knee-jerk-ban-monkies as they want.

I like Mick's style of reusing your "mince words" back at ya.  The guys so cool  :wank:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#156 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 08:36:59 am
Hypno Hunt Vs Fascist Von Ryan:  Preparing for War!!

Vs 

BenF

• forum hero
#157 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 08:38:05 am
Yeah it is an anticlimax that (at least we didn't discover that Will is a raving racist or homophobe though) and it does seem rather an over-reaction to something that anyone can see wasn't meant as abuse (I mean I'd be flattered if Will had said he'd give me one).  I love the suggestion that Ryan is a modern, Prana'd up version of Millie Tant because that's exactly what the reaction is like.  A comment that is childish yes, it is stereotypical but it surely isn't abuse.  I doubt Leah would be upset to see that someone fancied her as well admired her bouldering prowess.  Fuck it everyone (well everyone I know) makes daft comments like that occasionally.  

Will, get a pen and tick your guidebooks like most people do.  Then spend your time adding semi-pr0nographic photos to the UKB fit-birds/blokes threads; there's not really much to miss on UKC unless you like discussions that go round and round in circles.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#158 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 11:16:58 am

I wasn't bothered about the forum banning but I use the logbook a LOT. I really really need to get my hands back on my access privileges to the logbook so may have to request forgiveness (oh the shame) so that I can use that again and abstain from the forums.

Don't you fuckin' dare. It's outrageous that you get banned for an inappropriate remark but Mick's mate Russ Walling can post some homophobic shit about gay marriage and sport climbing and get away with it.
If you want a climbing log download this: http://klimb.com/blog/2006/11/24/making-of-klimb-rock-climbing-training-software
It's got some bugs, but if you like it I've got a modified version with font grades, some bug fixes, and some cosmetic fixes I can post.
One tip for installing: if what you download looks like a zip file, you need to rename the file extension to .jar

dave

#159 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 11:34:29 am
Mick's a cunt, crocktalk is shit, lets get over it. getting banned from UKC is like getting barred from McDonalds, i.e. they're doing you a favour. Congrats. Welcome to the rest of your life.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#160 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 12:34:00 pm
I have only climbed 6 days in the last 3 months. Should I move to cocktalk now, or am I still overqualified?

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#161 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 12:46:29 pm
"Lets not mince words.
You would"

In answer to your question Will; I wouldn't hit Crane with Dense's.

Horses for courses.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#162 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 01, 2008, 12:56:16 pm
I have only climbed 6 days in the last 3 months. Should I move to cocktalk now, or am I still overqualified?

You mean you actually climb?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#163 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 04, 2008, 09:51:27 pm

Still massively over qualified...

bluebrad

Paz

• junky
#164 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 05, 2008, 12:12:17 pm
Serpico I don't think Will's quite as renowned as Fish (I mean you wouldn't ban Don Whillans would you?) and I don't think Fish was being entirely serious anyway.  But I don't think either statement was sexist or homophobic, they didn't generalise about or discriminate for or against, a whole gender or sexuality.  Unless you assume something about what was going on in the mind of the writer. 

This is probably a bit more about encouraging young women climbers to better themselves, which probably involves not viewing them as objects.  Which is total bollocks - Leah's sponsored and you'd rather look at a video of her or have a poster of her on your wall than you would one of me.  Did she or Mick really think that would cross noone on the internet's mind when she started her own website - Mick even wrote some article on it featuring that staged cover of a fit bird in a bikini top on a boulder in the US.  Bearing in mind Schirmacher's rant about institutional sexism, some members of her own group are just as much to blame - I'm a total philistine but someone explain to me how stripping off for a Stone Nudes or Mike Robertson calendar encourages people to take women's climbing seriously?  Personally I'd have rather had a calendar full of pictures like that one  of Glenda Huxter on The Bells The Bells. 

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#165 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 16, 2008, 08:57:27 am
Out of interest did Mr Ryan ask Miss Crane if she found Will's comment to be inappropriate and  sexist or vaguely flattering .... Or maybe he banned Will in a fit of jealous pique .....

clm

• forum hero
#166 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 20, 2008, 07:56:18 pm
brill, this has turned into a CT tread.

I got told off by Alan James :wank: for saying western grit was shit.  No counter argument - sod freedom of thought - just something along the "if you cant say anything positive dont say anything" line.  I couldnt say anything positive - its shit.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#167 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 21, 2008, 05:49:31 pm

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#168 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2008, 11:03:16 am
Mick's a cunt

Listen to Dave.

Mick emailed me the other day telling me to stop harrassing female members. I am scared. What should I do?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#169 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2008, 11:25:26 am
Mick emailed me the other day telling me to stop harrassing female members. I am scared. What should I do?

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#170 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2008, 11:58:47 am
Email him back and tell him you don't approve of his double standards, he was merrily posting on a 'would you?' thread yesterday.  Not that it'll get you anywhere.

galpinos

• forum hero
#171 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2008, 12:00:00 pm
Mick's a cunt

Listen to Dave.

That depends. If you're harassing female memebrs, stop. If not, ignore him.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#172 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2008, 07:48:32 pm
Don't bother getting into a discussion with him, he just acts daft and you get nothing sensible out of it.  Ignore him, and preferably UKC.

n_man

• obsessive maniac
#173 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 22, 2008, 09:11:00 pm

Genius

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal