UKBouldering.com

Banned from Cocktalk (Read 77850 times)

dave

#100 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 08:33:43 pm
Woodwell were great tonight. I was out with the big mister of Lakeland bouldering....I now have several more Font 7a projects to get my 44 year old bones up and I'm looking forward to every minute of this fine climbing experience.

It's going to take more than spouting about a session down Woodwell on UKB to reinvent your self induced persona of forum obsessed shit stirring moron.

Mick I know your take on forums is - “Well it's not real life and people will take me on face value when they meet me” (and possibly realize your not quite as much of a dick in real life). But the fact is if you piss people off enough their never going to give you the chance of getting within 100 miles of them and thus not give you the chance to win them over with your charms.

You are an interesting bloke but I rarely read anything you write on the internet.

:bow:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#101 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 24, 2006, 11:02:10 pm
Just a final few points, I enjoyed Cocktalk because it served a particular need at a particular time in my life (i.e. troll / fight on line or do 7 years for kicking my manager's head in) besides when the CEO of the BMC adrdresses one by their internet 'handle' things have got out of hand.  Yes, my postings were often obscene, offensive and childish but I hope, at least, sometimes I made some people laugh.

And Alan James, as far as me asking to be 'let back in' you can kiss my ring (chorus we've seen your ring and it's a horrible thing etc).

I did meet some good folk through the site and was pleased to be able to help some folks out with fuzz like issues, but hopefully as Cocktalk goes down the shitter the decent sort will migrate and this site will benefit.

Never seen the need to be a twat on here because most folk here actually climb and have some provenance.

So in short, goodbye cocktalk, you won't be missed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#102 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 24, 2006, 11:24:18 pm
Sloper, and a few others, you do yourself a disservice being so bitchy about the UKC forums. Yes they have their bad points (I have been on the receiving end of the full spectrum of it) but there is also plenty of good there and you'd have to be particularly blinkered to not see it (as it happens I think you were one of the good points, in your own way, about UKC, sloper.).

The attitude against UKC on this site (a site I very much like of course) says more about this site than it does about UKC.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#103 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 24, 2006, 11:33:32 pm
but there is also plenty of good there and you'd have to be particularly blinkered to not see it

A while ago I would have agreed with you, but these days anything good on that site has been crushed by the huge weight of the bad stuff. (imho)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#104 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 07:39:20 am
absolutely.  there was once a time when the interesting posts weren't quite so outnumbered by such utter rubbish.  i do look at it from time to time, and scanning down the list of threads makes me wonder what i ever saw in it in the first place. the worst thing about it is the enormous amount of utterly shit information "helpfully submitted" by people who have no idea what they're talking about. if someone started a thread on here about training then i would expect some pretty sensible replies, but on cocktalk you end up wading though a load of utter bollocks that some teenager just back from an outward bound weekend had concocted in his head based on reading a chris bonnington book.  and when you tell him he's a fucking cretin then you have to put up with the cocktalk anti-elitism right on division...

Tommy

• junky
#105 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 09:36:00 am
I would generally use the word "puta" to describe a "lady of the night" if you were that way inclined. This  :kiss1: is not allowed!

Tommy

• junky
#106 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 09:41:15 am
Also, having used internet forums for quite a few years, I've noticed that the RT forum has gone much the way as rockclimbing.com. Originally it was very good, with informative discussion and not too much agro and then it eventually turned into a big pile of choss you had to wade through to get the good stuff. RT is slowly going that way. I just hope that this place never, EVER becomes like supertopo! Full of internet egomaniacs hiding behind their keyboards. Keep up the good work.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#107 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 10:44:18 am
UKC is just no good for plenny reasons.    One of them is I probably couldn't get away with posting pictures of the inside of someones' anus.  Just don't see it happening over there.  Too many ads after my cash.  Too many divs, spivs, oiks, droll dry old gits and assorted Troglodytae minora.  But then, sometimes you read people who are clearly wasted there: like Slopes. 

Ditto Yoss' remarks.  Wadin' through tripe makes my lobes swell.  And there's too much Ra! and Norrie whoever the fuck Norrie is I don't know or care & I'm sure he's a gent & a half but shit the bed Norrie!  Me swede!

If all the people that lurked on UKB got over themselves and stopped lurking and contributed something instead - this would be quite a buzzing little forum with enough to satisfy those who use it at home and those that generally post from work.  UKB can lack pace at times, weekends usually pretty quiet.  Less lurking would change that.  Playing the not my first language-card is a bit lame really, if you let people  know that fact then get on with it - it'll be cool.  I'll probably nearly fall of my chair laughing again as I did when Nibile used the couplet family jewels recently.  There was around 50 people online here yesterday (logged in and guests).  Even if those that stopped lurking turned out to be oiks it would at least give Bubba someone to zap.

Bubba's got it right:  assholes should expect to be zapped.  I did think that Private Club remark was silly:  I scoff.  I know about 6 people on here personally, some I meet briefly every 3 years like Scouse, some are people I've met only in passing or twice or said hello to,  mostly I've no idea who anyone is and some of you could be computer generated for all I know. 

Is Mick Ryan a virus? Is Mick Ryan a virus?
            Is Mick Ryan a virus?  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 10:54:36 am by Houdini »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#108 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 11:17:54 am
I used to try and do my bit to contribute to the good threads or people seeking advice on RT but have now pretty much given up due to the sheer volume of rubbish and noise that Yoss referred to earlier.  There _are_ some good people and good threads on there but I lack the will and time to sift through all the dross most of the time.

Plus I've never understood wasting time trying to deliberately wind other people up on the internet (trolling, deliberate flaming etc) - I mean, get a fucking life people.  What a waste of energy and brain cells..

(woz)

• forum abuser
#109 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 12:50:58 pm
If all the people that lurked on UKB got over themselves and stopped lurking and contributed something instead - this would be quite a buzzing little forum with enough to satisfy those who use it at home and those that generally post from work.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but I think that half the problem with UKC is that thousands of people feel the need to contribute something with pointless posts - just for the sake of posting, which dilutes the useful info. I'm all for everyone joining in with helpful posts tho - share the love :hug:

mark1984

#110 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 25, 2006, 05:21:19 pm
Must admit that there is alot of gash spoke in UKC, however you get some good info from it.

I don't care for people who don't climb as its not supposed to be a fecking free for all...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#111 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 28, 2008, 12:08:03 am
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=37308

They want a full apology for making a joke. Pah!
Shame I'll have to find a new logbook now.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#112 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 28, 2008, 08:23:47 am
tell us the joke then?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#113 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 28, 2008, 04:30:00 pm
Yeah, Hunt.  What was so offensive to UKC?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#114 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 28, 2008, 06:29:11 pm
Yeah Will, why the bullet?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#115 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 28, 2008, 08:36:09 pm
I posted some links to the Lancs guide threads here.  My thinking was that these would be updated as time went on, and contain multiple links to my topos.
Anyway, the thread was deleted and Alan James e-mailed me telling me to re-post with direct links to the topos.
Well, if they wanna get arsey, they can fuck off.  The first time in ages I bother to post there, and to share something with the general bouldering community, and they get arsey.
If they want them, they can come here and find them.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#116 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 29, 2008, 10:14:49 am
I want to know what Will's done too.

It's getting worse over there, if I spend more than 5 minutes reading it the little voices start telling me to do really bad things.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#117 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 29, 2008, 02:57:01 pm
Always listen to the voices , you know they make sense ....

webbo

• forum hero
#118 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 12:52:45 pm
Always listen to the voices , you know they make sense ....
only if they tell you to take your medication.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#119 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 01:01:08 pm
Come on Will, do spill the beans.

Have the heavies were sent round to sort you out for the heinous crime you committed on UKC and you are now in mortal fear of touching a computer connected to the internet again?

beaver

#120 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 01:17:50 pm
Hello there people!!!

Guess what???

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=28763   :wank:

No warning or anything!!! A poster called CJD/TallClare says that somebody complained about me for something, but I have no idea what it was I've done wrong...

Nice to meet you all, please tell me there are no pathetic-excuses-for-existence like there are over on UKC. Honestly, some of that lot need to throw themselves under a train...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#121 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 01:32:56 pm
  :wank:

No warning or anything!!!

Have you contacted to ask why?

They are highly protective of their self-styled image as leading climbing web-site  :greed: :greed: :greed: :greed: :greed:.  I posted a link to a new flickr group I set up (Sheffield Climbing) only for it to be removed.  Contacted them to ask why and was told it would detract traffic from their site and galleries (which are pretty shite IMHO anyway), and in a very occluded manner indicated that I could pay for a premier post if I wanted to attract traffic to my "business"!!!  (flickr groups, or this one at least, are completely non-profit, there was no advertising etc.).

Two of the main bods at UKC do post here occasionally, one of whom is more disparaging than the other (search the archives if you want to know more).

Plattsy

• forum hero
#122 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 01:34:26 pm
some of that lot need to throw themselves under a train...

Welcome aboard the aforementioned train.

Do you happen to know how Will was banned? He isn't co-operating with our demands.  ;)

David S

• stalker
#123 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 01:39:38 pm
If he doesn't co-operate to your demands, perhaps he should be banned from this site until he does  ;)

beaver

#124 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
July 30, 2008, 01:47:21 pm
If he doesn't co-operate to your demands, perhaps he should be banned from this site until he does  ;)

Well at least he'd know why he was banned! Unfortunately I don't know what the joke was that he told to get himself banned - with the moderation on there it was probably a knock-knock joke...

I've not mailed to ask them why yet, I need to swallow my pride and do it.

Interesting fact - 4 out of the top 5 posters from last week have been banned, and none of them know why....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal