UKBouldering.com

Dogs at Crags (Read 75949 times)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#125 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 11:45:12 am
I think it's clear from this thread that there is a generally silent majority of people who think that dogs are rubbish. BOLLOX
Theysome are gross, slavering, dirty, smelly, loud and obnoxious creatures with no social skills whatsoever. some are the complete opposite,must like humans
Themy problem is that i think somedog owners seem to think that everybody shares their inexplicable enthusiasm for the wretched specimens. i think that they think dogs are gods that walk amongst us, and the worst bit is: the dogs fucking know it. maybe they're so intelligent that they're just acting up because they know it winds you up?
Sorry Will. I love you man but this utter horse dog shit. Fair enough it's what you think, but don't write an abstract for a thesis based on the heavily biased data gleaned from a bunch of people who've had a bad experience with a dog. A silent majority? Pah!
 :ras:

Ps, i have no agenda here. I haven't got a dog. I never have. I probably never will.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#126 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 12:10:02 pm
Nowt bad happened, but the father did freakout, guess he didn't know how to deal with dogs.

Typical ignorant non dog owner. How to correctly behave around our canine overlords really should be in the national curriculum.

Re: Andy:  :P

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#127 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 12:28:45 pm
Have we mentioned incessant whining and hammering around the top of the cliff when folk are at the Mauvais Pas?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#128 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 01:21:11 pm
Nowt bad happened, but the father did freakout, guess he didn't know how to deal with dogs.

Typical ignorant non dog owner. How to correctly behave around our canine overlords really should be in the national curriculum.

Re: Andy:  :P

Quite, the attempts to shift the blame onto the victim are a very good indicator of the fuckwitted arrogance of the average dog owner, followed by the close second 'blame the deed not the breed' when a child is killed by a dangerous dog.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#129 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 05:16:03 pm
Oh good.  UKB is the same as UKC.

Sloper

• forum hero
#130 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 06:20:22 pm
Oh good.  UKB is the same as UKC.

Bollocks it is. 

I can call you a twat and not have the post deleted, you can call me a wanker and not have your post deleted, and we can both call Jasper the poster boy for Loreal and not have our posts deleted.

But then again: what have you done on grit?

tomtom

• forum hero
#131 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 06:28:08 pm
To try and draw some middle ground here...

Its probably been seen by all here - but the BMC's video on dogs and dog ownership flags up some important points well I think:

http://vimeo.com/user7465672/onedog

Stubbs

#132 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 06:33:56 pm
I also love dogs, hopefully my fierce beast will be enough to keep the silent majority away from the problem I'm trying!

Sloper

• forum hero
#133 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 06:37:08 pm
I also love dogs, hopefully my fierce beast will be enough to keep the silent majority away from the problem I'm trying!

I just rely on cigar smoke and a few right wing comments.

webbo

• forum hero
#134 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 08:35:00 pm
I like most animals,humans are the ones I have doubts about. My daughter has 3 lovely dogs who I am more than happy to spend time with, however she has ruined then so there is no way I would take them out climbing with me even though I am sure just me and them and some rock would be great.
I just to take Aylish out with climbing with me when she was little girl and I'm sure ruined many a persons day by her incessant cries of " Dad can I have a sausage roll"
I know it ruined many of my attempts at things.

rodma

• forum hero
#135 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 01, 2015, 10:15:09 pm
I like most animals,humans are the ones I have doubts about. My daughter has 3 lovely dogs who I am more than happy to spend time with, however she has ruined then so there is no way I would take them out climbing with me even though I am sure just me and them and some rock would be great.
I just to take Aylish out with climbing with me when she was little girl and I'm sure ruined many a persons day by her incessant cries of " Dad can I have a sausage roll"
I know it ruined many of my attempts at things.
We were all kids once upon a time, not dogs. I find the comparison completely bizarre.

You can leave your pet at home since it is capable of looking after itself, (unless it's just a wee pup ), but you can't leave your child at home.

I know kids aren't furry and therefore strangers find their whining annoying rather than endearing, but that's just one of the quirks of the human condition.

Seriously though I don't mind dogs or people as long as they aren't all up in my shit. If either are I'd deal with them the same way and that's with absolutely no tolerance whatsoever, even though if it's a human there's likely to be a decent back story as to why they're behaving that way, so I should probably be more tolerant of them.

webbo

• forum hero
#136 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 08:50:30 am
I was trying(badly) to be a bit tongue in cheek.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#137 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 09:29:33 am
Yes but did she get a sausage roll?

rodma

• forum hero
#138 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 11:03:50 am
I was trying(badly) to be a bit tongue in cheek.

I got the tongue in cheek bit, but i quoted you because I'm lazy.

I've heard a lot of people complaing about kiddies and that's because they are annoying  ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#139 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 12:11:37 pm
I haven't read the whole topic, I can only say that these have been some of the best climbing moments of my life.

phobe macchina by Nibile, on Flickr

image by Nibile, on Flickr

JamieG

• forum hero
#140 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 02:08:52 pm
Quite, the attempts to shift the blame onto the victim are a very good indicator of the fuckwitted arrogance of the average dog owner, followed by the close second 'blame the deed not the breed' when a child is killed by a dangerous dog.

Bit much? I really don't think this is the attitude of an 'average' dog owner.

Also, how often is a persons whole day out ruined by a dog? Sometimes things wind me up at the crag. Kids, midges, bellowing climbers with their shirts off, even dogs but i try no to let it ruin the day. To be honest I usually get frustrated because i'm climbing like an idiot and then blame they closest source of irritation rather than admit i'm climbing badly.

The crags are for everyone to enjoy with or without dogs, with or without kids, with or without shirts etc etc

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#141 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 02:23:06 pm
Never seen this sort of behaviour at the crag, wouldn't be afraid of saying something to the owners if I did.

I've been bouldering at Lower Tier at the Roaches and seen a dog (can't remember breed, but it lab size) madly chasing down some sheep. The dog did not respond to any strict commands; "No, STOP, etc", so I tried a "here boy, come here!" at which point it obeyed and ran up to me and stopped by my feet. At this point I looked around at half a dozen people giving me the evil eyes who assumed it was my dog! I grabbed it by the collar and walked along lower tier, under more evil eyes until I got to Valkyrie area where someone belaying claimed ownership. I gave them an earful and said to keep the dog under control, and they said he is usually good and just stays put!

I do like dogs, but don't think taking them out with you when you are doing routes is appropriate. I've seen a lot of dogs looking very distressed when both climbers are up the climb. Bouldering it's just about tolerable, provided your dog is under your control all the time.

Sloper

• forum hero
#142 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 02:39:49 pm

Also, how often is a persons whole day out ruined by a dog? Sometimes things wind me up at the crag. Kids, midges, bellowing climbers with their shirts off, even dogs but i try no to let it ruin the day. To be honest I usually get frustrated because i'm climbing like an idiot and then blame they closest source of irritation rather than admit i'm climbing badly.

The crags are for everyone to enjoy with or without dogs, with or without kids, with or without shirts etc etc

When you've got a frightened and upset child because some cvnt can't control their dog and you have to go home that pretty much ruins your whole day.

The quasi equation of children and dogs is just an extreme form of wanton fuckwittery.

JamieG

• forum hero
#143 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 02:49:11 pm

When you've got a frightened and upset child because some cvnt can't control their dog and you have to go home that pretty much ruins your whole day.

The quasi equation of children and dogs is just an extreme form of wanton fuckwittery.

Well I suppose that's fair enough. That would ruin your day. Also I don't agree with dogs = kids argument either. Clearly the two different.

webbo

• forum hero
#144 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 03:32:14 pm
And an ice cream.

tomtom

• forum hero
#145 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 06:14:27 pm
And an ice cream.

If I come climbing with you and whine and moan (more than usual) will I get a sausage roll and an ice cream??

webbo

• forum hero
#146 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 07:15:57 pm
And an ice cream.

If I come climbing with you and whine and moan (more than usual) will I get a sausage roll and an ice cream??
Of course as long as I can tape the sausage roll in your mouth.   :-*

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#147 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 07:44:48 pm
Good point tomtom, I'm sure webbo rightly thinks I'm a cunt, but I could be on my best behaviour if there were sausage rolls and ice cream involved.

webbo

• forum hero
#148 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 08:15:24 pm
Good point tomtom, I'm sure webbo rightly thinks I'm a cunt, but I could be on my best behaviour if there were sausage rolls and ice cream involved.
No I think you a right cunt. ;D  I will let you both know when I'm out next and I'll bring a picnic hamper.

webbo

• forum hero
#149 Re: Dogs at Crags
February 02, 2015, 08:16:03 pm
And a dog or 3.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal